Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #31  
While it's quire rare that I move trailers with a tractor, at some point I bought a cheap clamp-on receiver for the bucket. That one was a fail, as no matter how hard it was tightened down it would move side to side when turning the tractor.
DSCN5052[1].JPG
DSCN5053[1].JPG

A few years later I bought one that just clicks into the quick disconnect on the loader on one side. Wouldn't use that one on the L3800's flimsy loader, but used it once on the M6040 and it seemed to work well. Plus it was easy to see the pintle hook and tow ring.

Anyway, I'm sorry, but I just can't see any kind of adequate lateral support for that green thingy. It would be painfully simple to triangulate it to one of the many holes in the horizontal bar, though. Even doing it on only one side would make it several times stronger.

Again, I'm not arguing that it can lift as is, with the hook on top doing the lifting and the flat bar at the bottom preventing the bottom of it from moving towards the tractor. But there doesn't seem to be much that would prevent it from turning sideways...except when it runs out of rotational space at the hook. At which point I would expect deformed metal, then breakage.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #32  
I can't quite get my head around your concern. The hook doesn't do any lifting, the lower pins do, just like any other three point attachment. The lower pins also keep it from rotating, not the top hook. I think this thing is impossible to break on my tractor. I've used it on the front and rear to try to lift things beyond the tractor capability (1000 lb loader, 1500 lbs 3 point) and nothing moves.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #33  
While it's quire rare that I move trailers with a tractor, at some point I bought a cheap clamp-on receiver for the bucket. That one was a fail, as no matter how hard it was tightened down it would move side to side when turning the tractor.View attachment 823851View attachment 823852

A few years later I bought one that just clicks into the quick disconnect on the loader on one side. Wouldn't use that one on the L3800's flimsy loader, but used it once on the M6040 and it seemed to work well. Plus it was easy to see the pintle hook and tow ring.

Anyway, I'm sorry, but I just can't see any kind of adequate lateral support for that green thingy. It would be painfully simple to triangulate it to one of the many holes in the horizontal bar, though. Even doing it on only one side would make it several times stronger.

Again, I'm not arguing that it can lift as is, with the hook on top doing the lifting and the flat bar at the bottom preventing the bottom of it from moving towards the tractor. But there doesn't seem to be much that would prevent it from turning sideways...except when it runs out of rotational space at the hook. At which point I would expect deformed metal, then breakage.

I wouldn’t use that one sided quick coupler adapter on a tractor. It would be fine on a skid steer that has a pretty beefy coupler plate but a tractor only has a small tube that’s easy to twist out of place.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #34  
We're obviously looking at this completely differently.

The way I see it, the flat bar at the bottom can't support much weight in the horizontal plane, so the weight is carried by the hook. And yes, the lower pins keeps the bar from rotating, but not the receiver portion.

The issue I perceive is that the green part with the receiver tube doesn't have much, if anything, to prevent the ballmount from moving side to side. Even if it's welded to the bar, which it doesn't look like, that'd be a very small weld area compared to the length of the receiver tube, even without a ballmount as extra leverage.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #35  
I wouldn’t use that one sided quick coupler adapter on a tractor. It would be fine on a skid steer that has a pretty beefy coupler plate but a tractor only has a small tube that’s easy to twist out of place.
As mentioned, it was used once, to move a little 16' empty bumper pull flatbed. And it worked.

For heavier and/or loaded trailers (goosenecks) I generally use a "yard goat" I made for the purpose.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #36  
I guess we are looking at it differently. The "flat bar" is a 3 point drawbar and will support thousands of pounds of weight. The pin that engages the top hook has a small clearance to the bottom of the hook and supports no vertical weight. The receiver tube is fully welded to the drawbar, which is about the same attachment that you will find on a truck trailer hitch. When I put this together, I tested it by putting it on the tractor 3 point hitch and lifted and pulled it from a fixed point (max tractor capability) and there was no hint of deflection.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #37  
The issue I perceive is that the green part with the receiver tube doesn't have much, if anything, to prevent the ballmount from moving side to side. Even if it's welded to the bar, which it doesn't look like, that'd be a very small weld area compared to the length of the receiver tube, even without a ballmount as extra leverage.
The receiver tube is fully welded to the drawbar,
Red arrow points to the weld:

Welded.png

Last edited:
   / Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #39  
I guess we are looking at it differently. The "flat bar" is a 3 point drawbar and will support thousands of pounds of weight. The pin that engages the top hook has a small clearance to the bottom of the hook and supports no vertical weight. The receiver tube is fully welded to the drawbar, which is about the same attachment that you will find on a truck trailer hitch. When I put this together, I tested it by putting it on the tractor 3 point hitch and lifted and pulled it from a fixed point (max tractor capability) and there was no hint of deflection.
Alright, couldn't see the weld, and figured that the bottom was bolted to the bar.

Still, considering the generous length of the receiver tubing compared to a normal receiver, I would triangulate it. You already have holes at the outer end of the drawbar, so one weld close to the pin for the ballmount would be all it takes. If using flat stock I'd put one per side.

Anyway, glad we finally got to the bottom of this.