Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #41  
And here's my preferred trailer mover. It's surprisingly capable.
DSCN5060[1].JPG

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #42  
Red arrow points to the weld:

View attachment 823889
Welded~2.png
I think this is what Too Many Kubotas was getting at. Diagonal braces where the red lines are would make it significantly more resistant to sideways bending forces. As I said though, and I think you've already figured out, what you have there is strong enough to resist the force that your tractor is capable of producing. If it was used on a larger machine, I would be more concerned about more bracing.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #43  
If it was used on a larger machine, I would be more concerned about more bracing.
Yup, that's exactly what I had in mind. But I don't think the size of the tractor makes much difference when the trailer puts up a fight and doesn't want to turn.

Of course, I'm thinking tandem axle trailers, not small and light single axles.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #44  
I just use the receiver on the forks to park the empty trailers, so there really isn't any significant load. The tube it welded to the drawbar on the top and bottom so there is about 10 inches of weld attaching it. The only time I've pulled a loaded trailer with it, I've put it on the rear. It's reversible so when I put it on the rear 3 point, it only extends far enough to use the pin hole on that side. I use it extended when I have it on the front because I find it to be more visible and I like the way it maneuvers. If I had a big tractor and big trailers I might have made it a little beefier but for a 24 hp tractor and a 7K trailer it's fine.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover
I moved my empty 18’ trailer today without any issues.

Moving any distance I was pulling it in reverse and only pushed it into its parking spot.

It would be really easy to tweak a loader arm/frame if the trailer was loaded with weight, so it is more for moving empty trailers and things like my 7’ grain drill.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #46  
Yup, that's exactly what I had in mind. But I don't think the size of the tractor makes much difference when the trailer puts up a fight and doesn't want to turn.

Of course, I'm thinking tandem axle trailers, not small and light single axles.
Machine size still matters though because the trailer is likely to push the entire tractor sideways before bending that 2.5 inch tube or the drawbar. If the trailer isn't moving, I really don't think that tractor has enough weight to bend that setup. Tractors in general don't have a whole lot of sideways pushing capability with the loader. They're just not designed for it. Given a perfect storm scenario where the loader arms or the front wheels are supported from the side in some way, say the trailer pushing the tractor sideways, shoving the loader arms up against a tree, I could see it bending or the weld giving way, but that'd be a pretty extreme scenario.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #48  
Machine size still matters though because the trailer is likely to push the entire tractor sideways before bending that 2.5 inch tube or the drawbar.
Agree. The odds of bending the receiver tube or drawbar in that setup are practically non-existent.
There's always a weak link, but those two components aren't it.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #49  
And here's mine, a 2" receiver for any kind of trailer as well as a cat 2 quick hitch for 3 pt equipment.
It's very nice for spotting trailers into tight locations.

ssqa 4.jpg

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #50  
I'd be concerned with the lateral strength of that setup, even without the extra long receiver tube.

What keeps the trailer ball from moving side to side?

IMHO:

No concern should be had for the lateral strength of that set setup.

Have concern for the possible additional lateral strain that setup can put on the loader arms.