Pay at the Pump With Cash

/ Pay at the Pump With Cash #21  
There is a small station in Cottonwood AZ where we camp that has you pump first and then tell the office attendant how much gas you got. They don't have remote monitoring of the pumps. How's that for trust.

/ Pay at the Pump With Cash #22  
I don't use my debit card at the pump anymore someone stole my numbers and bought so downloads at the store a few dollars years ago happen 3 times!!.

/ Pay at the Pump With Cash #23  
Yet see anything like it in New Hampshire...credit card or cash... but we do have parking meters takes credit cards now. :confused2:

/ Pay at the Pump With Cash #24  
There are some pumps that take cash here in northern wi. I know of a few stations that either have no attendant at all or the store is only open during the day ,but pay at pump is open 24/7.

More and more stores seem to be adding self checkouts . I'm told there are doing this because they can not get enough help at the wages there are willing to pay. The local menards seems to always have a help wanted sign on the entrance door. Its not uncommon to see help wanted signs at stores , restaurants , and gas stations around here. High school kids used to fill these jobs, but kids don't seem to want to work at all these days.

/ Pay at the Pump With Cash #25  
It seems like the Menard sign it always out there just like walmart.

/ Pay at the Pump With Cash #26  
A good friend of mine is president of the board of directors of Southern Loggers Coop

They are mainly targeting loggers and farmers as their members. The sell about $100 million of fuel a year.

There stations have no attendants. They have very low overhead and very few 'non-payers'. The way it works, is you provide your checking account number and they automatically take they money for your fuel out of your account each month. (Or maybe every 2 weeks, I'm not sure).

Some accounts can get as high as $50,000 a month and my friend said they did have one incident where the member did not have the money in his account. Not sure how that worked out.

But, it does save the members a significant amount of fuel cost. I'm not sure how much the savings is, but $0.20 a gallon on 25,000 gallons a month is $5000 a month. That adds up over a few years, and is well worth the $100 membership cost.

/ Pay at the Pump With Cash #27  
We were visiting our son on the west coast and surprised that it was against the law to pump your own gas, only a trained attendant was allowed to do so.
Apparently a state law.

/ Pay at the Pump With Cash #28  
We were visiting our son on the west coast and surprised that it was against the law to pump your own gas, only a trained attendant was allowed to do so.
Apparently a state law.

Off the top of my head, I think that Oregon and New Jersey prohibit pump-your-own fuel.

Steve.

/ Pay at the Pump With Cash #29  
Apparently a state law.

Yep, state law. And it wasn't because of the need for any "training". If you could read their legislative notes and discussion, it was (1) to provide employment for otherwise unemployable people, and (2) to keep the ladies from getting their hands dirty. And the first time I started to put gas in my truck out there, a retarded young man came out and was in his glory at getting to bawl someone out before he took over with putting the gas in the truck. Of course, he waited to come out of the station until after I started putting the gas in. He got it nearly 3/4 full before he quit. But it really made his day getting to bawl someone out. And I just didn't reply at all. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

/ Pay at the Pump With Cash #30  
Yeah, it sounds like an IQ thing for those States. Maybe it is the IQ of the legislators?.....maybe they should be pumping the gas.:D....just couldn't resist.

Mike