Snow Attachments Plowing snow with a blade

/ Plowing snow with a blade #1  

fenneran

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2900
With the recent dumping of snow on the mid-atlantic region, I have finally decided to add a back blade to my arsenal. We have a 1/2 mile long gravel (actually milled road material) driveway with two hills and a curve. I have been maintaining the drive with the FEL, but it is not the best method. Now that we may be out of the drought and will be getting snow again, a blad will make sense for both applications. So the question is this: How do you all plow snow with the blade? I tried to pay attention to some folks around that I saw clearing lots and lanes and saw instances of people with the blade facing the tractor and pulling the snow as well as the blade facing "backwards" and puching the snow. What are the pro's and con's to these methods? Not to open the "box blade vs back blade" discussion, but is there a way to plow snow with a box? I think that a box blade would be better for the driveway maintenance, but the backblade, being able to angle, seems to be better for the snow. I have read all the threads on the advantages of each and I think the back blade will do fine for the drive, but didn't want to make the choice because of a lack of information. Thanks in advance.

By the way, I plowed out this last storm (between 10 and 12 inches) with the FEL and it took about 5 hours. Push, scoop, back up, turn, forward, dump, backup, repeat...

-Frank

/ Plowing snow with a blade #2  
I have a dirt driveway that is about 1/4 mile in length. I have two tractors. I have a backblade on the small one (about 25 hp), and a loader on the big one ( 62 hp). I do most of the plowing with the small one with the backblade facing forward and driving the tractor forward. I have the blade slightly offset so it pushes the snow off to the right. It's pretty fast and works well.

By the way, both of my tractors are 2wd with chains. We've had a couple of 2 foot snows and many smaller ones. The loader is good for moving piles of snow that accumulate from using the blade.

/ Plowing snow with a blade #3  
Hi fenneran,

I have found that running the back blade in the normal orientation is more important as the debth of the snow increases.

At first I was pretty satisfied with runnin it backwards. This reduced the digging into my non-paved driveway/parking area when the ground was not frozen.

Recently, with the ground frozen and the snow deeper, I have realized that the correct curve of the back blade makes a big difference in its plowing ability. That is the way I use it now.

My GUESS is that once you get a back blade and start using it, you will wonder how you ever plowed that driveway with your loader. I WISH I had a long driveway to plow with my angled back blade...it is just so nice seeing that snow fall off the outside of the blade as I move along!

Make sure you get a blade that is wider than your rear tires when it is angled. If I were you I would spend the extra money to get a better quality blade, with and angle tilt and offset cabibility. I bought a cheap KK blade, which works ok, but I drool when I see the nicer blades that others have...[Rick and Ron, I am thinking of both of you when I type this...]

Good luck in your purchase!

/ Plowing snow with a blade #4  
Frank,
In my opinion, a back blade is not really ideal for snow removal. I see from your profile that you have a YMG1800D which will handle a 5' back blade. But with a tractor that size, I think that anything more than about 6" of snow will require you to push it in reverse because it will build up rather than roll to the side. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be twisted around looking backward for any length of time.

I have a YM1301D with a 42" front blade. When I angle it, it just makes a path wide enough for the wheels. But I can go forward and roll the snow to one side as long as its not too deep. In the last dumping, we got about 8" by Sunday at noon when I went to plow the first time. I didn't have too much trouble.

I made the mistake of not plowing again until the snow stopped Monday. I had some serious trouble with the additional 16" we had by Monday at noon when I went to plow it. I couldn't roll the snow to the side because it was too deep. I had to push it straight forward at an angle across the driveway. It took me quite a while to clear the driveway which is only about 60' long, and 25' wide. When I was done, there were 8ft piles of snow at the corner of the drive and road. Of course I also had to push the snow bank made by the county plows about 12' back to gain access to our mailbox. I certainly would not have wanted to do all of that in reverse - twisted around looking backward.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you use a back blade, plan on doing it in reverse for any significant snow. Maybe for as few snows as we normally get, that is a good compromise. For the 2-6" snows, you can probably pull the snow and roll it to the side OK. The truth is, this last storm was truly a snow blower snow storm. Nothing else really does a decent job in 12+ inches unless its a really big tractor and blade, or a truck with a plow.

/ Plowing snow with a blade #5  
Hi again,

As a follow up, I agree with gbirky that it depends on your tractor too...

Mine has enough clearance that I can drive over 12" and expect the back blade to do something with it.

I wondered what the driving over would do to the snow..but the edge of the back blade doesn't seem to care if the snow is compressed by my loaded rear tires or not...it just scrapes it up anyway.

There is no question that as the snow deepens...the odds move in favor of the snowblower.

For the money, the back blade really does seem pretty cost effective, and useful, in my book. But if we got 24", I also know that the top 12 would be moved by the loader before the back blade did the rest.

/ Plowing snow with a blade #6  
there has been quite a bit of snow here in southern New Hampshire this winter and my 24hp kubota with loaded turf tires has managed very well just facing forward and pulling the snow. I'm using a 72" landpride blade, the machine is about 55" wide giving good clearence when the blade is angled. The deeper the snow the greater the angle. Generally after the storm passes I do reverse the blade and push back the snow banks to make room for the next storm. Although pushing the snowbanks in reverse is less comfortable than using the loader and going forward it is much faster

/ Plowing snow with a blade #7  
you will never have a problem with using a back blade if you keep up with the storm. in the last 32"er we had this weekend i was out there every few hours plowing. i was able to get the banks about 10-15 from the drive so when i went out on monday morning i only had about 8 inches left to do. mind you i am using a meyer plow that was once on a truck.

just keep up with the storm and you will be golden!

/ Plowing snow with a blade #8  
I think you got a lot of good answers here. The rear blade working the direction it's designed and angled works real good for snow less than a foot or so. I waited until after the snow stopped this last storm to start on my driveway & I regretted it. Since the tractor was basically stuck, I had to FEL a few feet at a time all the way to the end of the driveway, then FEL the sides of the driveway. Took a long time. The only thing the rear blade was good for this time was cleaning up at the end. Of course this was an unusual storm. For the rest of the snow we got this winter, the rear blade worked fine.

I wish I could justify the $3000+ for the snowblower, but I can use the FEL if this happens every 5 years.

/ Plowing snow with a blade
Thanks fellas. It amazes me how much good information you can get from this collection of tractor-heads.

-Frank

/ Plowing snow with a blade #10  
Just more food for thought; but having a front blade with hydraulic angling, there is one trick you can do that I can't think of any other way to do. A buddy's boss had a mound of frozen snow/ice right in front of his garage door.. so deep he couldn't get his little garden tractor out at all. I drove up to it with my front blade, lowered the blade right on top of the pile, applied down-pressure until the front wheels of the tractor were up in the air, and then simply angled the blade back and forth sideways until the pile was broken up. Then I just back-dragged the stuff out of there. I'm not sure what else could have done this.. nothing I can think of off-hand. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif