Snow Attachments Plowing snow with a blade

/ Plowing snow with a blade #11  
<font color="blue">I'm not sure what else could have done this.. nothing I can think of off-hand. </font>

With an FEL, simply lift & dump! (When you finally get one, you'll wonder what you did without it?)

/ Plowing snow with a blade #12  
I'm not sure what else could have done this.. nothing I can think of off-hand.

An FEL!
J, no snow expert

/ Plowing snow with a blade #13  
Being in the snowbelt and having rcvd 120 inches so far this year, I can say it can be done fairly well with a back blade. I use a 7 footer, usually plowing forward as long as the snow is less than 10 inches deep. Deeper than that and it's better to either plow backwards with the blade flipped around or use the FEL. Front plow WOULD be better but then you spent $1500 on an implement you can only use on snow. I spent $350 on a blade. As mentioned if you keep up with the snow they work pretty well and for a long drive you can drive forward pretty fast and windrow to the sides. For a winter like this though you will spend some time pushing back the banks. For that a snowblower would be superior. Guess there are different ways to do the same thing and everyone makes their own decision. This has been the first winter I would have LIKED a snowblower but I can get by pretty well with just the blade. PS If you get a blade get the skidshoes, makes a world of difference on gravel roads and lets you plow right onto grass without tearing things up.

/ Plowing snow with a blade #14  
Trev,

To paraphrase gerard, <font color="blue"> Front plow...(is)...an implement you can only use on snow. </font>

There may be many who feel that way about front blades, but most of us don't have much first hand experience (including me). A friend of mine has a small Kubota w/front blade. He has no FEL, so front blade gets used for everything he does.

I just acquired a used front blade primarily for moving snow, so now have a keen interest in what else it is well suited to do. What kinds of things you do with yours, besides moving snow?

OkieG

/ Plowing snow with a blade #15  
<font color="blue"> If you get a blade get the skidshoes </font>

Hi gerard,
What about plowing snow on blacktop? I've been thinking about a synthetic cutting edge, either a plastic or even the horse stall mat idea mentioned in another thread, so the cutting edge can ride right on the surface for a clean finish. Then, switch back to the steel edge for Spring through Fall for dirt work.

Can you adjust the skid shoes for snow, so a hard surface gets clean without additional wear on a steel cutting edge? Or is sacrificing the edge part of the deal for a clean result?

Maybe a synthetic edge won't scrape clean even if it is riding on the surface? Thanks.

OkieG

/ Plowing snow with a blade #16  
Hi OkieG,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just acquired a used front blade primarily for moving snow, so now have a keen interest in what else it is well suited to do. What kinds of things you do with yours, besides moving snow? )</font>

Well, in the summer I lock the blade so the spring trips don't trip (about a 2 minute jobs) and then use it for moving dirt, digging out big rocks, push said rocks to wherever we want them, digging holes in combination with the rear dist scoop, leveling ground, and that sort of thing. It also stays on permanently as it makes a perfect front counterweight for all my rear implements like the tiller, finish mower, etc. (I can hang extra suitcase weights on it (up to eight of them) if doing any serious lifting with the rear boom pole or dirt scoop. I've used it to pull up fence posts.. just hook a chain to it and lift. And it's handy for pushing other vehicles that might be stuck or stalled. I push out brush with it too, in places where we want to clean up.

It's not a FEL, but for a lot of things, it's handy and it meets most of my needs so far. In the winter of course is when it really shines!

Best,
Bob

/ Plowing snow with a blade #17  
I put a Kelly FEL on my JD750 last winter and we didn't get any snow, which is unusual for Rhode Island. But THIS winter has been different. The storm at the beginning of this week dumped about 16" here with heavy drifts. I want to get a heavy duty rear blade for next year. However, the FEL was great for clearing out my 3 driveway entrances to the main road. The snow plows had piled up 2 to 3 feet of compacted snow at the drives and the FEL made short work of them. The rest of it was a little slow with the FEL, but I am wondering how I got by all these years without the FEL. Got some great tractor time and had a ball playing in the snow with the FEL. Even cleared out the drainage culverts on the road so that my property will drain this weekend with the heavy rain we are expecting. One thing for sure: the FEL sure beats the snow shovel that I used for the past 40 years! Anyone have any recommendations on the First Choice heavy duty rear blade?

/ Plowing snow with a blade #18  
Re: Front blade uses

Nice thread in customization about ideas on how to put a rubber edge on front blade. This allows you to get a clean drive, without grinding or scraping. Front plow is handy for pushing gravel on paths and such... moving compost... loose dirt.. you find that going in reverse as well as forward is pretty handy for leveling.

/ Plowing snow with a blade #19  
I think the best of all world is a blade mounted in the FEL your plowing fowards and you can pile the snow as high as your fel will reach

Attachments

• 238456-Plow 2.JPG
    238456-Plow 2.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 207