Snow Attachments Plowing snow with a blade

/ Plowing snow with a blade #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">I'm not sure what else could have done this.. nothing I can think of off-hand. </font>

With an FEL, simply lift & dump! (When you finally get one, you'll wonder what you did without it?) )</font>

I don't know.. this pile of ice was really frozen right to the ground.. I'm not sure a FEL could have gotten under it. All I could do was spin my tires when I tried to push it a bit from the side. Maybe it would've worked.. I'd love to try! As soon as the CFO authorizes a FEL. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Plowing snow with a blade #22  
<font color="blue"> What about plowing snow on blacktop? I've been thinking about a synthetic cutting edge, either a plastic or even the horse stall mat idea mentioned in another thread, so the cutting edge can ride right on the surface for a clean finish. Then, switch back to the steel edge for Spring through Fall for dirt work.
</font> You can adjust the gap height two ways, coarse adjustments you use spacer washers in 1/8 inch increments. For finer than that you can use the top link which rocks the blade back and forth on the shoes, basically infinite adjustment. You can adjust so the blade barely touches the blacktop or touches it but not with its full weight. I did buy a plastic scraper blade from a farm supply that is designed for scraping out manure barns and as a snowplow edge. It was $50 for 7 foot x 1/2" x 6". I plan on putting it on for winter so I can adjust the blade lower without peeling up my grass. The blades have been so caked in ice I won't be using it until next year. I got it after the horse mat idea which I liked but didn't think it would be as durable as I'd like.

/ Plowing snow with a blade #23  
<font color="blue"> To paraphrase gerard, Front plow...(is)...an implement you can only use on snow.
</font>
I should probably clarify that I'm only talking about blades that are designed to replace the loader bucket and not sub frame mounts. Ones that replace the bucket are designed for snow ie light duty. They are NOT recommended for pushing dirt and things like that though I don't doubt it's done and can be done if you're careful. I wouldn't however use them as a bulldozer. Blades that are sub frame mounted and don't involve the loader arms can be used that way.

/ Plowing snow with a blade #24  
A dozer is a dozer, and a CUT with a front blade is a snow-eatin' machine.

Don't expect much else/more out of a front blade beyond snow, but if you want to move snow, get a 4-way hydraulic front blade a few inches wider than your rear tire track. Sure, you will need your loader when you get more than 2-1/2 to 3 feet, but my 2210 thrived in the 18-20" we had 10 days ago. A common mistake is to add too much weight off the back of a MFWD CUT. Loaded tires or wheel weights are great, but try to avoid the "lever" effect by hanging weight off the 3-PH, effectivey reducing the weight on the front axle which equals poor front wheel traction and "ruddering" steering.

You can economize with a rear blade and get by, and you can do it all (in 5x time) with an FEL. But MFWD with a hydraulic front blade is a time saver for us economic mortals and a money maker for the pros.

It's all about $$$. By the time you set up a CUT to plow with a front blade, you are looking at $700-$1,000, approximately. Once you plow snow with it, you won't look back...especially if next winter is anything like this winter.

This is just conjecture, and a conversation starter, but I think the smaller CUTS and sub-compacts are better suited for a front blade. Tight turning and quick response really make snow plowing fun with the small and middle sized tractors.

The rubber edge "squeegee" is a must on asphalt or concrete. Buy the cow mat, or a manufacturer's part and sandwich it between the cutting edge and the moldboard (of course you'll have to buy longer cutting edge bolts for winter). On pavement in float, your skids should be set at 1/2" to 3/4" above the paved surface. The rubber edge accommodates all of the cracks, lips, and surface inconsistencies.

Attachments

• 240416-med2210_54_lft01.jpg
    240416-med2210_54_lft01.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 251
   / Plowing snow with a blade #25  
Blade right front

Attachments

• 240417-med_2210_bld_rt_01.jpg
    240417-med_2210_bld_rt_01.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 324