Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons?

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #21  
AlanB,
The Temples in the Asian side of the planet are basically pole structures ... I am not sure what kind of wood but they have been around a very long time. On the other hand I'm going to be tearing down a hay barn built with used power company poles that we put up about 45 - 50 years ago! Why are we tearing it down ... because the poles rotted out!
Leo

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #22  
I guess the latter is my fear em, and as my property is particularly wet (during a normal year, has not been a problem this year) I would think that would accelerate the rot.

Last thing I want to do, is to have to deal with a falling down building in my later years when I am trying to enjoy it, when I could have saved the problem by spending a couple thousand dollars up front.

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #23  
EddieWalker said:
I tore down a barn a few years ago that was built during WWII with the posts still in good shape. The wood trusses had failed was why I tore it down.

But can you buy poles or posts today that are treated well enough to really last?

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons?
AlanB said:
Oh, one other one you may want to consider, at least it made great sense for a buddy of mine and is somewhat appealing to me as well.

There is a place in Shelbyville TN that makes a truss to use on a pole barn.

It is a steel truss that holds a 2X8 I think his are for the purlins, they are held "upright" for lack of a better term.

What that did for him (probably not an issue for you if you are at 16' eaves) is that it gave him 12' wide bays with no truss up there.

As he was putting in a car lift, that was important as the lift sits in a "bay" between two trusses.

Probably not something that will make a big difference for you, but for me, it is something to consider.

Another factor to consider in, if you think you may add doors etc later on, sometimes that is easier with a pole barn, particularly if the bracing wires are in the way on your steel building.

For it to be "right" it is far better, cheaper easier on a steel building too design all doors, openings etc from the start, rather then after it is built.
Good information. I actually DO want to install a car lift, thanks for bring this up.

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #25  
Several years ago I found this book, "Practical Pole Building Construction" by Leigh Seddon, and it was a very interesting source of information on pole construction. I was not able to go pole construction in this neighborhood and ended up getting in the throws of the up dated Hurriane Codes which "required" me to use 6" steel studds. There is no structural member in the shop below the trusses which is not steel! As a matter of fact, until you get get to the truss the materials are either concrete, steel or gyp board! ... (there is some wood for trim and interior doors)!
Leo

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #26  
Alot pole buildings around here a built with laminated post's, 3 2x6's nailed together to create a 6x6. Some of the arguements for this are that the treatment only has to go through 1 1/2" of lumber (should be more rot resistant) and straightness of the lumber. I saw a barn the other day that the post's looked like they were laminated at a factory with the top half not being treated and the bottom being treated. The treated portions were finger jointed to the untreated portions. Livestock buildings with a large amount of manure around the base of the post's may also have a shorter lifespan.

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #27  
bdeboer said:
Alot pole buildings around here a built with laminated post's, 3 2x6's nailed together to create a 6x6. Some of the arguements for this are that the treatment only has to go through 1 1/2" of lumber (should be more rot resistant) and straightness of the lumber. I saw a barn the other day that the post's looked like they were laminated at a factory with the top half not being treated and the bottom being treated. The treated portions were finger jointed to the untreated portions. Livestock buildings with a large amount of manure around the base of the post's may also have a shorter lifespan.

I would advise anyone who wants to make a 6x6 post using 3 2x6s to make sure the 2x6s have the heavy duty treatment rated for inground usage. None of the 2x6s sold at the Home Depot and Lowes around here are rated for inground usage. All of their 6x6s are rated for inground use.

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #28  
I read the other day that cca is not outlawed but production has been cut back. It can still be used in buildings. We have a pole barn supplier that has lumber that is treated with a real dark treatment for ground contack but I dont remember if it cca....Larry

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #29  
The particular pole barn I mentioned earlier, Posts on 12' centers with Rafter / steel truss's and lots of interior room came from

Discount metal roofing and siding, Shelbyville, TN 888-992-0005

Not sure if they have a website.

edit, found website

Metal Roofing - Metal roofing, metal roof, discount metal roofing, metal roofing, metal roof

Edit again, this picture shows the truss's, kind of too bad I had to hunt their site to find what for me was their best feature.

Project Gallery - Metal roofing, metal roof, discount metal roofing, metal roofing, metal roof

Last edited:
   / Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons?
3RRL said:
Building it yourself will really determine which one you choose.
IMHO, there are compromises to make depending on your skill, tools and help. If I had the skills and tools I would consider doing it myself too, but I don't. I opted for a metal building which is being built by my contractor....and an insulated metal building is what he suggested. They are doing a first class job of it too. Expensive? Yes, but I have nothing to compare it to.

As far as what Mr. Jimi said about the concrete, they used 7 trucks fully loaded with 9-1/2 yards each to pour my 6"+ slab and all the footings. Almost double what he's listed. Perhaps with a little more conservative footings it could have been 6 trucks? But still...

Here is a link to the barn part of my thread where they just did my slab. It starts on post #187 if that helps?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/104037-3r-home-barn-project-5.html
Thanks for the link Rob, very nice barn and house you have going on there.

I think I am settling on the metal building kit with only a 4" slab...don't have any heavy machinery to install...just tractor, cars (and small lift), implements and shop.

I will come keep you all posted with prices and pics when I get closer to buying and installing.