Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons?

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #31  
There has been a lot of good information so far.....
I've been wanting to expand my shop as well (not that I need to embark on another project, though) and have considered metal vs. wood as well as the quanset (spelling???) hut style bldgs.
Can't really afford to expand as big as I want all at once, so I have to complete it in phases. And don't really want another stand alone bldg.
I ran across this site: Steel Buildings – MiracleTruss Steel Buildings are Easy and Fast to Assemble
It gave me some good ideas. Plan is to build my own trusses, that way I can fab it the way I want and take in my existing shop.

Now just got to scrounge up some cash........

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #32  
AlanB said:
The particular pole barn I mentioned earlier, Posts on 12' centers with Rafter / steel truss's and lots of interior room came from

Discount metal roofing and siding, Shelbyville, TN 888-992-0005

Not sure if they have a website.

edit, found website

Metal Roofing - Metal roofing, metal roof, discount metal roofing, metal roofing, metal roof

Edit again, this picture shows the truss's, kind of too bad I had to hunt their site to find what for me was their best feature.

Project Gallery - Metal roofing, metal roof, discount metal roofing, metal roofing, metal roof

AlanB,

I have a 24x36 with the same construction. Around here that is the way that nearly all pole barns are constructed. They use "chicken house" trusses. A local chicken house builder will build a 40x60x12 with enclosed gables for $8000.00 Then you just enclose the sides yourself and pour a floor. Of course he will do a lock and key, but most people have him put up the roof, because he has a boom truck to set the trusses, then they finish the outside themselves.

I've got a buddy that has cows and he had the contractor I'm talking about build him a 40x60x14 with two 12x60 lean-to's. He basically has 64x60 underroof for $15,000.00. That doesn't include grading. My buddy is eventually going to close in the main 40x60 himself.

This type of construction is fairly simple. I set my trusses with my front end loader. Of course the trusses of a 40x60x12 on a 4/12 pitch requires a boom truck as it will be 19' from the ground to the ridge.

Chris

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #33  
markmc said:
Thanks for the link Rob, very nice barn and house you have going on there.

I think I am settling on the metal building kit with only a 4" slab...don't have any heavy machinery to install...just tractor, cars (and small lift), implements and shop.

I will come keep you all posted with prices and pics when I get closer to buying and installing.

Howdy neighbor...
I am in the same process of trying to figure out a metal or wood shop building myself, 30x50, 4 inch slab, 10 foot side walls.

If I were to do pole barn,buried I would use the Plastisleeve, seems like a good choice.

I still haven't made up my mind yet. I'm waiting for quotes to come in.
I'm leaning towards wood frame right now, and probably have someone else build it, 50+ hours a week plus 2 hours driving per day doesn't leave much time to build a shop and take care of honey-do's.

Have you got any quotes on concrete in our area, better yet do you know anyone reliable in the area that does concrete?

later,
Ted

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #34  
One other thing no one has mentioned is long term value. Most pole barns, at least in this area, aren't considered to be worth that much or add much to the value of a property, unless they are exceptionally nice, with finished interiors, etc. I suppose that is because most that build them are saving money, so they usually aren't insulated and are just basic buildings.

I built a 40x60 all steel 4 years ago, and am very happy with it, except for the cost. I have about $53k in it, including fully wired with lots of lights, and a 20x20 area in the one corner that is framed in with storage above. Also a 65'x20' concrete apron 6" thick in front.

I have 14' sidewalls, so it looks better in relation to my house, and the open span inside is very, very nice. The storage area would be difficult to access in a pole barn with trusses, as it would only be about 4' high overall, except between the trusses. A good way to bang your head!

I had an estimate for a pole barn that was $32k, but this didn't include insulation or any electrical, and only a 4" slab (mines 6"). I thought I could build it for around $35k, but...... It's strange how things keep adding up!

I also have radiant floor heating in it, so that was another $2,500 just for the tubing and insulation. Another thing about pole barns is that they are very hard to insulate properly, unless you line them on the inside. How do you hold insulation on the walls when the poles are 8' apart? It isn't easy, while steel buildings will almost always be insulated as they are built.

And if you don't like the idea of compressing the insulation on the roof at the purlins with the screws, use the a standing seam roof. These are great, with no external screws and no compression of the insulation, but they add quite a bit to the cost, around $2 - $3 per sq ft if I recall correctly. It isn't worth it unless you plan to work in it and heat or cool it on a daily basis, such as in a commercial machine shop. But they are the ultimate in longterm, durable roofs.

Would I do it again? It depends! For a shop that you want to work in and store things in, yes, probably. But for animals or strictly storage, no, I would build a pole barn. Much cheaper and quicker, especially if you don't pour a slab.

Keep in mind that most metal used on pole barns in around 28 or 29 gauge, while on a metal building it is usually 24 gauge on the roof and either 24 or 26 on the sidewalls. This is how they are able to span larger areas without needing as much support, as most metal buildings put the purlins 5' apart on the roof, and the girts up to 8' apart on the sidewalls. This translates into the metal on pole barns being a lot lighter and more prone to dents and dings, and getting banged up in general. And it will rust through sooner in an acid rich environment such as with animals.

But ultimately it's your choice, and you get what you pay for.

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #35  
Just thought I'd toss my two cents into the mix.
If you're worried about the wood rotting for a pole barn, you could alway dig the holes and put the sona tubes in there fill with concrete and them place bracket on top and build the barn. Then again if you're going to go that far, might as well pour the slab first and put the barn on top.

I'm thinking of getting one my self next year and we have two Amish builders in the area that sell either packages or they will build what you ask for. I'm seriously thinking of having a gambrel roof put on mine so I have some more storage uptop.

Wedge

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #36  
another lightly or less mentioned is things like termites. If it isnt a telephone pole it probably will get eaten at some point if there is no concreet involved. The plastic sleve thing is somthing i had been consiering building if it wasnt out there. it also allows easier repairs if need be. if built well the sleeve will allow the beam to be removed and bolted in. I have a delapidated telephone barn. one pole is off its base and about 3' from where it should be sitting. the people probably didnt spend much putting it together but it is going to be a pita for me to repair. a support beam failed that has to get replaced asap and the roof looks like some one blew up a can of bb's. there is also an electric line going over the top of the barn so i have to wait for the electric co to fix the roof :/

Metal is awesome for the fact of 2nd story posibilitys. I want to have a single slope roof when i get every thing upgraded. 2600 sq' of south facing roof for panles is quite exciting.

the insulation is a pain on both for different reasons. if you dont get a good seal on the outside of the barn you have a good chance of nesting from either birds or mice..

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #37  
One thing to remember when considering improved value to your property, is that a shop is lucky to give you .50cents on the dollar. I think the only other structure that really increases a properties value is a horse barn. It's not the barn, but that horse title. Any property that is horse ready is worth more then land that's not. Horse people will pay top dollar and do all the time.

Eddie

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #38  
Here is another approach:

socket systems - home

The maximum clear span is about 32'. You can go more if you use intermediate columns. Or you could add lean-tos to get more width. I am about to complete an addition to our home and complete reroofing using this system. Took some planning and quick work-arounds for some problems but it is turning out good.

When I built my shop building almost 15 years ago I used the Miracle Truss system with 2x6 girts and purlins. Made it easier to build out inside and to add windows and doors. I rented a boom truck to erect the frames and it went fast.

Vernon

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #39  
texbay, I have been looking at socket systems for a workshop, what do you see as the pro's and con's to their product?

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #40  
js5020 said:
texbay, I have been looking at socket systems for a workshop, what do you see as the pro's and con's to their product?

Just out of curiosity... How does the price for the socket system compare to the other two?

Brian