Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons?

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #41  
If you are thinking steel, a lot of times, the companies, I believe one is American Steel???, have barn kits that have been cancelled or returned that they are selling at severely discounted rates. When I was looking they even had free shipping because the shipping had been paid as part of the deposit they recieved, or something, but you can find some pretty good deals that way. Keep us updated.

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #42  
thatguy said:
Just out of curiosity... How does the price for the socket system compare to the other two?

Brian
To be honest I haven't run the numbers yet as far as the total cost verses another type of structure. The company basically just sells the "hardware" and the materials are purchased locally if I understand the website. I like the clear span and the ability to have a second story, and no posts in the ground.

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #43  
Tororider said:
If you are thinking steel, a lot of times, the companies, I believe one is American Steel???, have barn kits that have been cancelled or returned that they are selling at severely discounted rates. When I was looking they even had free shipping because the shipping had been paid as part of the deposit they recieved, or something, but you can find some pretty good deals that way. Keep us updated.
Well I have looked at some buildings on e-bay, however alot don't meet snow loads and basically aren't visually appealing, but I haven't ruled them out.

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #44  
js5020 said:
texbay, I have been looking at socket systems for a workshop, what do you see as the pro's and con's to their product?

My application was unique and the socket system worked great for me. I have not run the numbers and in my case it would be hard to separate cost that might relate to shop or barn construction.

I don't think that the total costs will differ much. A lot depends on the clear span you need. My shop building is 48' x 60' x 14' and there I went with Miracle Truss. Rented a boom truck to erect the frames and did the rest of the frame in wood. Easier for me to set in windows and doors with a wood frame. I also like the 4 in 12 pitch you get with Miracle Truss. Matches the house.

If you are going to be limited to manual labor I would go with the socket system and tilt up the frames. Not hard to do. If you want to build pole barn style go with buried stub post with a hinged socket on that. Gives you the tilt up feature with pouring a slab or footings.

Vernon

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #46  
Just the concrete for that 40 X 50 building will be 24.6914 yards if you go 4" thick and I would suggest 6" = 37.0370 yards
I agree with going with 6". Your biggest cost has already been encountered before the concrete has been poured(installing formwork, excavation, digging beams, purchasing and laying rebar, purchasing and laying conduit, water lines, sewer drain lines, etc.) So you can see that 2 more inches of concrete will be insignificant to total cost.

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #47  
AlanB,

I have a 24x36 with the same construction. Around here that is the way that nearly all pole barns are constructed. They use "chicken house" trusses. A local chicken house builder will build a 40x60x12 with enclosed gables for $8000.00 Then you just enclose the sides yourself and pour a floor. Of course he will do a lock and key, but most people have him put up the roof, because he has a boom truck to set the trusses, then they finish the outside themselves.

I've got a buddy that has cows and he had the contractor I'm talking about build him a 40x60x14 with two 12x60 lean-to's. He basically has 64x60 underroof for $15,000.00. That doesn't include grading. My buddy is eventually going to close in the main 40x60 himself.

This type of construction is fairly simple. I set my trusses with my front end loader. Of course the trusses of a 40x60x12 on a 4/12 pitch requires a boom truck as it will be 19' from the ground to the ridge.

Chris

I WISH I could get ANY of that pricing in CNY!!!!!

/ Pole Barn vs Metal Barn....pros and cons? #48  
This thread is from 07, so I'm sure pricing is a bit out of touch.