Possible danger of tractor side exhaust

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
All of us that have our cuts and scuts exhausts exiting toward the side are probably aware of the carbon trail left on the boom of the front end loader. I didn't think much of it except to clean it off now and again but the other night, I was made aware of something that could be a problem. It was dark enough to use the tractor lights. I started the tractor and moved forward into the a cloud of exhaust smoke not visible during the day time. I certainly breathed it in and have been for the two years I've owned this tractor (Mahindra 3016). I now notice I'm always smelling exhaust when i'm operating this tractor. Knowing the highly carcinogenic factor of diesel exhaust, I became concerned especially that I have an open station tractor.
The problem as I sees it is that the exhaust is bouncing off the fel and just sort of "bunching up" in the area so one is always driving through exhaust. Also, any head wind will also blow this exhaust toward the operator even with the boom raised as well as simply moving forward on a calm day. As a result of this, I'm ordering the top exit exhaust as I had on my old John Deere feeling it could be better that the exhaust flys over my head. Perhaps I'm overly concerned but I'd rather err on not breathing in as many fumes.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #2  
It'll be more fun running the tractor. When I ran my Ford 1210 (with the horizontal muffler that discharged out the front) the exhaust smell was pretty strong much of the time. The muffler finally developed enough leaks that it was time to replace it. I couldn't locate an exact replacement, so I re-plumbed it with a Cherry Bomb muffler from Advance Auto. The new exhaust shoots straight up and is topped off with a TSC flapper cap. I can't even smell the exhaust now.

It's difficult to avoid making a carbon footprint, but with the upright exhaust at least the carbon footprint in my lungs is smaller:)

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #3  
As soon as the warrantee is off my Kioti the first thing I am doing is reroute the exhaust up into the air. No more grass burner exhaust for me.:)

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #4  
My Kubota B26 exhaust out the front and down to the side. I cant say as I have ever smelled any exhaust gases from it. When I got it, the first thing I did was remove the little fine wire screen from the exhaust. I didn't want to be forever cleaning the carbon off it or dealing with the back pressure of a partially stopped up exhaust. I also removed the same type screen from my RTV900 since I never plan to go to a National Forest with it where a spark arrestor might be required.
I was a little concerned about the exhaust discharge direction when I first got the B26 but so far, it has been a non-issue.

My old Yanmar 4220 had the top exhaust that hit the FEL arm when it was raised up high and I did get some diesel exhaust fumes from that one. A 6-8" extension would have corrected that but it was already high enough that it got bent a few times from low hanging brush so I just sucked up the fumes whenever it happened. I kinda like the smell of diesel exhaust even if it might be harmful, I don't smell it enough to get that much carbon from it.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #5  
ALWAYS ended up with a headache at the end of the day driving FORD 1900 ( canopy )with exhaust through hood, ( even added extension to get flow higher) but now have tractor with side exhaust and don't even smell it.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #6  
It was dark enough to use the tractor lights. I started the tractor and moved forward into the a cloud of exhaust smoke not visible during the day time.

Funny you mention this right now as this past Tuesday night, in the dark, I experienced the same thing. I noticed seeing a lot of exhaust that I never noticed before. I was surprised. Perhaps it was because I mounted lights up high on my canopy and they shine over the hood. I used the tractor last year in the dark in the snow but never noticed it. I'd guess it was because the headlights were in front of the exhaust pipe.

I did notice that it got less and less and seemed to disappear when the engine reached temp. There is no snow so I;d guess it probably wouldn't show up with a white background.

In fact it smells less than than the old Ferguson gasser with the exhaust coming out under the rear axle.

I never noticed any smell in the last 100+ hours, 1 1/2 years of work with it, so I guess I'll not worry about it.

I do plan on putting a deflector on the end of the pipe to keep the blast away from the lift arm.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #7  
iu

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #8  
For my BX the exhaust is out the side and does blow on the FEL. The cooling fan blows forward so I never smell any exhaust.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #9  
I had a NH TZ24DA with exhaust that came out my the right side front tire IIRC, and any time I worked around the FEL I would suck in tons of fumes. It drove me nuts! My Ford 1715 has vertical exhaust, and I love it. I never have issues.

My father in law has a newer JD CUT, can't remember the model, but it's routed through the front, and he hates it. He plans on getting the vertical retrofit exhaust soon.

Chris

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #10  
I had a NH TZ24DA with exhaust that came out my the right side front tire IIRC, and any time I worked around the FEL I would suck in tons of fumes. It drove me nuts! My Ford 1715 has vertical exhaust, and I love it. I never have issues.

My father in law has a newer JD CUT, can't remember the model, but it's routed through the front, and he hates it. He plans on getting the vertical retrofit exhaust soon.

Chris