Possible danger of tractor side exhaust

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #21  
You can wear a respirator just as easily as wearing a face shield. You do whatever the **** you want with it, but there is a good reason why almost every current manufacturer uses the low exhaust.

Probably operator visibility and easier opening hood, not tree branches. :rolleyes:

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust
You can wear a respirator just as easily as wearing a face shield. You do whatever the **** you want with it, but there is a good reason why almost every current manufacturer uses the low exhaust.

If you wish to bury your head in the sand go right ahead. I feel your comparisons of a nuisance to a possibility of serious disease are inane at best. "Have you ever heard of a single confirmed case of lung cancer that occurred with normal operation of a tractor? Yeah, me neither". I also have not heard of a single person who has ad their eye poked out because their exhaust stack is vertical. But.. do you know anyone with cancer? How'd they get it? Just last week they came out with 90% of cancers are environmentally driven. Do you have even a clue what causes cancer in one person but not the other when both are living the same life style?
Might someone else have a predisposition to acquiring the disease because of lesser immunity?
"You can wear a respirator just as easily as wearing a face shield". Well, no you can't especially with a logging helmet on. Putting down the face shield I think much easier no? Also, some people do not venture out into the woods at all.
This is getting silly and yeah, I'll always abide by what a corporation decides to do with their product since corporations always have my best interests at heart rather than aesthetics, or competition or bottom lines.

Keep your side exhausts along with poo-pooing my concern. That will make the entire issue nonexistent I'm sure.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #23  
My first tractor had a vertical stack exhaust, and although it was an 80's tractor, and therefore perhaps didn't burn as "clean", I remember occasionally smelling exhaust, unlike the next two, which both had low front exhausts blowing down. That said, I will check for exhaust in my work lights next time I am out at night. Thanks for alerting us to a potential issue.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #24  
Think of all the CO accumulating in your bloodstream and tissues.
CO is a contributing factor to crashes, wrecks and incidents when operating any kind of ICE machine. In particular with extended hours of operation.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust
My first tractor had a vertical stack exhaust, and although it was an 80's tractor, and therefore perhaps didn't burn as "clean", I remember occasionally smelling exhaust, unlike the next two, which both had low front exhausts blowing down. That said, I will check for exhaust in my work lights next time I am out at night. Thanks for alerting us to a potential issue.

That's one of the possible problems varmint. I got to the point when I didn't smell a thing either as us humans have a tendency to become "nose blind". For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why I'd have a raspy throat and irritation. Never associated it to being on the new machine for the last two years. Attributed it to "allergies' even though I've never shown a predisposition to such. I do not do much loader work but I am always coursing through the woods with the bucket down to protect the tractor. In this position, the exhaust is not blowing "away" from the tractor but bouncing off and up the lowered boom. In the meantime, before altering the exhaust, the least I can do is make sure the boom is raised high enough to at least clear the flow a bit better.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #26  
I'm with you.
My last tractor had the vertical exhaust. Always snapping tree limbs in my face.
I prefer the low exhaust on my current machine.

Same here. I don't notice anything out of our DK's anyway, unless you stand right in front of the exhaust. I never notice anything up in the seat.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #27  
One of the best mods I made to my 4410 was the upright exhaust stack. Before when I had the low front exit exhaust I was always breathing in the fumes. They would swirl around your face all day! Now I hardly ever smell the exhaust. Yes I have to watch low branches, but it's a small price to pay.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #28  
All exhaust options have their good and bad points... Top exhaust is OK if you can get it high enough, and you like looking at it all day. Rear exhaust is great until you are back their changing implements. Side exhaust, if done right, I like the best for me. Especially out in the woods.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #29  
Same here. I don't notice anything out of our DK's anyway, unless you stand right in front of the exhaust. I never notice anything up in the seat.
Don't know why some are apparently worse than others, but I never noticed any fumes from my DK's lower left side exhaust.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #30  
Don't know why some are apparently worse than others, but I never noticed any fumes from my DK's lower left side exhaust.

Well, for one, I think our DK's are the cleanest emission wise tractors I have owned. I understand the Tier 4 final machines are even cleaner, but our Tier 4 interim machines are pretty clean. Sure a lot cleaner than my first tractor an old Long made in Romania. Now that engine had some diesel stink. And that includes a tree branch grabbing vertical thru the hood exhaust.