Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200
I have been researching adding power steering to my Kubota B8200 and came across your prior posts, fatjay. I have purchased the same steering column and also got the original cylinder with it. Did you loop the aux output back to the return line? Thanks for any extra advice you may be able to provide with the fabrication process that you have changed after the completion of your upgrade.

On page 2 there's the pictures of the aux output being looped back in. It's been a few years and I can't remember the exact details, but basically if you go to full lock, you'll dead head the pump and blow something, so don't do that. The cylinder that I bought seems to be perfect, same with mounting holes. Still running it regularly without issue so I can't complain. No leaks effortless steering. I did have to shorten the whole shaft by about 2". I used a pair of pipe cutters to cut 2" out of the outer shaft and welded it back together. Could have duct taped it honestly. Then I cut the inner shaft that turns to length, cut the old splined shaft off the old steering column off and welded that on so I'd have the splines and could weld the origional wheel back on. Looks and feels like OEM.

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #32  
I converted my tractor to power steering using the Ross valve as well. All ports must be connected. The tank and Aux ports must always return to tank. The Tank port is only used when power steering is active. Otherwise the Aux port returns fluid to the tank. If you fail to return the Aux to tank bad things can happen. My unit is rated for 1800 PSI. You check with Ross confirm your unit by providing the model number on the valve. Good luck. It is a Ross Hydraguide. You can locate and download the manuals online.

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #33  
Thank you for the extra information James. I found information about the Ross Hydraguide unit and the first bit of info that I noticed was the requirement of an external relief valve in the system. Would I be accurate in stating your using the AUX port as a pressure relief? Looking at the hydraulic schematic, I believe I can cap the AUX port provided I put in a pressure relief valve. The pressure relief valve might be a good addition for safety. I have not got very much experience with hydraulic systems so I may very well be completely wrong in my assertions.

Attachments

• 10397409-ED4C-49E9-B471-90A3E713468C.jpeg
    10397409-ED4C-49E9-B471-90A3E713468C.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 215
   / Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #34  
Do you a 4 port or 5 port valve? If you have the 5 port with Aux, you are looking at wrong page in the guide. The Aux port is the power beyond port to power other implements. DO NOT CAP THE AUX PORT...use it or return the fluid to the tank. The tractor already has a relief valve. You do not need two.

On my tractor, my steering valve gets power first so that it has priority and I always has steering. The Aux sends fluid to my loader then my loader sends fluid to my 3 point.

Remember whenever you are not turning the steering wheel fluid is flowing through the Aux port to the tank. When you turn the steering wheel fluid flows to the left or right port to steer left or right and returns out of the Tank port to the tank. If you cap the Aux port the system will bottleneck and bad things can be happen. I do not know anything about the B8200 so I am no help there. I suggest you call Ross with the model number on the side of the valve to confirm the valves maxium pressure rating. I see that the B8200 hydraulic system is designed to put out less than 1800 psi so you should be okay but check to be sure. Others are better suited to answer the specific setup for the B8200.

I hope this helps.

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #35  
It has taken some time with a few emails to get information regarding the Ross/Parker Hydraguide steering column. My particular steering column is a HGF 10007-A1-1400. This is a five port column. It has been confirmed that I can cap off the AUX port without any worries. The contact I used to get this information is Mr. Rogelio Gandarilla, from QCC. His email address is, gandarilla@qccorp.com

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #36  
I have assembled the steering column and cylinder onto my tractor. It turns out the information I was given about capping off the AUX port was not correct. James, you were 100% right about the capping of the AUX port. My next problem with this set up was my cylinder broke. The piston came off the rod. 413C2F87-BF2D-4CF3-A105-DE3F89772923.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #37  
Sorry about the cylinder. Look around, you should find a replacement. Good luck and stay in these trying times.

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200
I got mine from surplus center which as far as I know is shipping parts. Cheap and quick, they always come through for me.

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #39  
I have already repaired this cylinder once by re-boring it to get more travel out of the cylinder. This weekend I will be cutting it open again and welded the piston onto the rod, then weld the end back on. A bit of a PIA but it should work out fine. If all else fails, I will see what I can buy.

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #40  
Cylinder is all fixed up. Was able to use my tractor today with hydraulic steering. It is so nice to not need extra arm strength to steer.