Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200
Cylinder is all fixed up. Was able to use my tractor today with hydraulic steering. It is so nice to not need extra arm strength to steer.

My steering is a little quick, but honestly it's perfect for me. When I hop on my fathers kubota with factory power steering, it's really slow. And yes, it's fantastic. Can't beat it.

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #42  
Fatjay, I’m not sure if my steering is really fast or not. It takes 4.5 turns of the steering wheel to go from full right to full left. I think it’s just “right”.

Fatjay, I’m not sure if my steering is really fast or not. It takes 4.5 turns of the steering wheel to go from full right to full left. I think it’s just “right”.

My power steering is one full turn lock to lock. it took some getting used to but now that i'm used to it i love it.

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #44  
I finished my cab & snowblower on my b8200, pulled it out of the garage the night before our one and only snow storm, turned the wheels and snapped the steering column. It was tough to steer before, but with the blower up, the added weight was to much I guess.

I mended it, but not much of a long term solution. Steering was loose before as it was, I would have to end up replacing the entire thing with a new one, then still have hard steering. And that will cost me $600+. There's no universal kits anymore for this or anything similar that I could find. Basically not a lot of options.

I picked up a power steering valve from a john deere 318/322/324 or a few others. Basically it's the entire steering column plus valve outlets on the bottom in one piece. Quite convenient and compact, so it should be easy to adapt. I also picked up a 15" hydraulic cylinder to control the wheels. The thought is to come off the hydraulic block supplied on the tractor, into the steering column, and out to the cylinder, to move the wheels left and right. Couldn't be easier, right?

Taking off the old power steering was a challenge, gas tank needed to come off. When I put it back in place, I had a lot less room to work with than I originally thought. Also, to give myself the clearance I needed for the hydraulic lines, I'd have to have it much higher than it was on the old one. I'll worry about that when it works, for now it's getting it mounted. I'm going to get some 90 degree fittings for the valve so I know how much space I have to work with and have it still clear.

The other option is the block fits right into the hole, get the lower mount, so the ports are inside. I don't like that option as it puts the lines next to the driveshaft, but on the other hand I'd be able to use the original mount bolts and it would already be lowered to a more comfortable position.

I grabbed a piece of scrap angle iron and cleaned it up to cut for some test fitments. I'll post info as I go.

ktzSp6uh.jpg

xDfoiDah.jpg

V08rRE7h.jpg
Hello was wondering what by cylinder you used? Part number? Thanks

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #45  
What did you use for a cylinder? And where did you get it? Thanks

/ Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #47  
Thanks I see it’s unavailable. I was looking at surplus center I was kinda thinking of the 2 inch cly . I understand that your steering is quick . I have a loader and concerned with power when loaded full bucket

Last edited:
   / Power steering conversion on my kubota B8200 #48  
I also was thinking the 6 inch stroke but maybe the 8 inch would be a better fit

Lower stroke will just limit your turning radius. Also it may not be the correct overall length, or you'll be able to turn to tight one direction, and not enough in the other direction.

Really the only way you are going to slow the steering down is increase the bore, a 1.5x or 2x bore would slow it down a bit, but i'm not seeing any of those with the swivel eye built in.