Practice Removing Your FEL

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #11  
Two minutes during your first time?

Like I wrote...it's not a race...

Sure...why not? Maybe lots of time on other equipment led to the two-minute drill.

Now, do it in the dark, on a gravel surface, with mosquitos buzzing and someone yelling at you. :)

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #12  
Maybe this should be in the 'embarrassing things I have done' section. :ashamed:

The first time I took of my front end loader, FEL, I did not release the hydraulic pressure in the line. I was able to get it off without knowing there was a problem. However, when I tried to hook the hydraulic lines the pressure prevented me from being able to fully insert the connector. I ended up with some paper towels, a plastic faced hammer, and a couple hits to vent some of the oil. It only took a tablespoon or two and I was good to go.

Now I always remember to put the bucket in float and move the control side to side to eliminate all the pressure. I have not had a problem since. :D

John

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #13  
I wanted to take my loader off last year. No directions but it was very straight forward until I got to the hydraulic quick connects. They must be some cheap brand because the locking ring was rusted closed. I couldn't get them loose. So until I feel the need to get new connectors and replace the old ones the loader stays on.

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #14  
Two minutes during your first time?

Like I wrote...it's not a race...

OK, I read the instructions, then the timer started, but yes, just put the bucket near the ground, put in the stand, pull the two pins, tweak each set of cylinders a time or two and it pops off. Literally 2 mintues.

Montyhp

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #15  
Yep, the weight of the FEL can contribute to that unsteady feeling when mowing. At minimum, I drop the bucket off. That's pretty quick (pull two lynch pins, then use the dump circuit as you lower the FEL arms).

Does it really make that much of a difference? I spent all day brush hogging yesterday with my bucket on. Other than watching my turns I didn't have any issues.

Now you guys have me wondering what it would feel like to hog without the bucket. I guess I am finally going to have to learn how to take it off.:ashamed:

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #16  
Does it really make that much of a difference? I spent all day brush hogging yesterday with my bucket on. Other than watching my turns I didn't have any issues.

Now you guys have me wondering what it would feel like to hog without the bucket. I guess I am finally going to have to learn how to take it off.:ashamed:

Probably going to depend on the size of your tractor. I really can't tell a noticeable difference with my Case, so it stays on; hasn't been off in years. I sure won't hurt to try.

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #17  

How much of a dfference will depend upon your property (sloped, level, etc.).
Level? Probably not much of a difference except dropping the bucket takes some of the load off your front axle.
Sloped? You might feel a pretty dramatic difference. I did...

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #18  
OK, I read the instructions, then the timer started, but yes, just put the bucket near the ground, put in the stand, pull the two pins, tweak each set of cylinders a time or two and it pops off. Literally 2 mintues.

Montyhp

The whole point of "it's not a race" is to ensure (or help ensure) removing and re-installing tthe loader is done safely.
Some guys are more mechanically inclined then others and will pick it up pretty quickly. Others, not so quickly. I'd guess quite a few residential TBNers never operated a wrench...then they bought a tractor. Those gents and ladies are the folks I'm writing to...
First time I dropped the loader, I'd guess it took about 15-20 minutes. I'm mechanically inclined, but I'm one of those methodical guys who takes his time. You know....read a step, perform the step....read a step, perform the step...
Now, after dozens of removals and re-installations, I'm quicker. My only issue now is a bad hand (result of a stroke) that just isn't strong enough to work those QD fittings quickly. Dropping the loader (including on and off the tractor) takes 3-5 minutes (estimated...never timed it). For me, installing takes longer...mostly due to that bad hand. Sucks...but a bad hand is better then being dead, right?

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #19  
The whole point of "it's not a race" is to ensure (or help ensure) removing and re-installing tthe loader is done safely.
Some guys are more mechanically inclined then others and will pick it up pretty quickly. Others, not so quickly. I'd guess quite a few residential TBNers never operated a wrench...then they bought a tractor. Those gents and ladies are the folks I'm writing to...
First time I dropped the loader, I'd guess it took about 15-20 minutes. I'm mechanically inclined, but I'm one of those methodical guys who takes his time. You know....read a step, perform the step....read a step, perform the step...
Now, after dozens of removals and re-installations, I'm quicker. My only issue now is a bad hand (result of a stroke) that just isn't strong enough to work those QD fittings quickly. Dropping the loader (including on and off the tractor) takes 3-5 minutes (estimated...never timed it). For me, installing takes longer...mostly due to that bad hand. Sucks...but a bad hand is better then being dead, right?

I can sure identify with that as I have little use of my left hand/side and my wife helps me with a lot of this stuff as I get older. Funny how she can do the QD, but air chucks mystify her and I have to do them.:)

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #20  
The only time I mow with the FEL on is in real steep conditions where I actually want weight on the nose........ that is maybe 5% of the time and my farm has very few flat places.