Practice Removing Your FEL

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #21  
The whole point of "it's not a race" is to ensure (or help ensure) removing and re-installing tthe loader is done safely.
Some guys are more mechanically inclined then others and will pick it up pretty quickly. Others, not so quickly. I'd guess quite a few residential TBNers never operated a wrench...then they bought a tractor. Those gents and ladies are the folks I'm writing to...
First time I dropped the loader, I'd guess it took about 15-20 minutes. I'm mechanically inclined, but I'm one of those methodical guys who takes his time. You know....read a step, perform the step....read a step, perform the step...
Now, after dozens of removals and re-installations, I'm quicker. My only issue now is a bad hand (result of a stroke) that just isn't strong enough to work those QD fittings quickly. Dropping the loader (including on and off the tractor) takes 3-5 minutes (estimated...never timed it). For me, installing takes longer...mostly due to that bad hand. Sucks...but a bad hand is better then being dead, right?

Point well taken and I don't take safety lightly. This is my first tractor, but I have a lot of experience with heavy equipment (military and volunteer fire department). My point is that removing the FEL was MUCH easier and quicker than I thought it would be. The mahindra set up is really simple. Even if I stopped and analyzed every step (which I did in a dry run before I actually took the loader off) it is a 5-7 minute job, tops. It is easy enough that I will pop it off to mow, then pop it back on to do any other tasks that require it.

I am sorry to hear about your bad hand. I came out of the military with two bad, painful knees and a shoulder that doesn't have full range of motion, but I still feel blessed every day that I can walk and get up and down off a tractor.

Montyhp

Montyhp

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #22  
I do a lot of bush hogging (with flail) and mowing of an old New England farm (rocks) so I leave my FEL on with either a 4n1 bucket or grapple. I rarely mow more than an acre without needing to use the bucket/grapple to deal with some sort of obstruction that would otherwise stop my mowing. I've moved branches, cut firewood, rocks, old farm equipment, a gas pump, old tires, and also used it to push over or dig under bushes as I go. I've also used it to get myself unstuck (mud in early May).

I agree that it might add some weight up high and that the bucket can interfere with forward vision to a degree but I honestly wouldn't mow what I mow without the FEL. I would sing a different tune if I were mowing a lawn or a well maintained field

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #23  
Recommended!
I did not remove my FEL for the first 225 hours of usage on my Kioti and managed to bump things with depressing frequency. I finally took it off when I had a hydraulic leak and I really needed to get some field work done.
Now I run without it whenever possible. The tractor is much nicer to do Ag type tasks without it. It only takes 5-10 minutes to get it off or on.

Warhammer

The last couple days have seen too many reports of close calls when mowing or operating in tough conditions (hills, wet, etc) while still having the front end loader in place.

While the loader can be dropped as a safety brake, it is also likely that the FEL contributed to some degree to lack of balance in the first place. In many instances, it would be preferred not to have the FEL on. Many new owners, being excited to have a new FEL and not being comfortable or knowledgeable in how to remove it, just leave it on and/or have never taken it off.

Most modern tractors feature a FEL that is reasonably quick and easy to remove. Mastering the removing and installing of a FEL is needed skill. While it may seem funny to say, I watched the youtube videos over and over until I was comfortable doing it. It was worth practicing.

Highly encourage the new owners posting here at TBN to practice the skill. There are lots of knowledgeable and patient teachers here who will be glad to add some pointers, tractor model specific, as well. As Sarge used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Hey, Hey!! Let's be careful out there!"

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #24  
My 7520 almost feels like a sports car with the loader off. :laughing: I pretty much do all my field work with the loader off. Mostly disking, some mowing. ;)

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #25  
I do a lot of bush hogging (with flail) and mowing of an old New England farm (rocks) so I leave my FEL on with either a 4n1 bucket or grapple. I rarely mow more than an acre without needing to use the bucket/grapple to deal with some sort of obstruction that would otherwise stop my mowing. I've moved branches, cut firewood, rocks, old farm equipment, a gas pump, old tires, and also used it to push over or dig under bushes as I go. I've also used it to get myself unstuck (mud in early May).

I agree that it might add some weight up high and that the bucket can interfere with forward vision to a degree but I honestly wouldn't mow what I mow without the FEL. I would sing a different tune if I were mowing a lawn or a well maintained field

I am with you my loader is always on. The biggest use of the tractor is bush hogging and it seems like there is always a new tree that has fallen and needs to pushed aside. Besides where would the chainsaw ride with no loader? And yes I have forgotten the saw was in the bucket and dumped it.

/ Practice Removing Your FEL
I might not want to remove the FEL very often if it were not for garden work. Now when I say garden, I mean big garden. I plow, drag, cultivate, etc

Add to the issue that once plants are put in, deer fencing must go up. This constriction means to do anything in the gardens, i must remove the FEL, no choice. This was a skill I had to master.

I temporarily used a RFM, and with our trees and out buildings, I found the FEL absolutely in the way and obstructing. If I get a new RFM, I will not mow with it on.

Like Roy, I have been mechanical to the max all my life, but I just want to study, master it, and I took my time. Just my nature. Now, I'd guess, I can install in 2 minutes, remove in 4. That's fast enough for me. No, it isn't a race.

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #28  
There are times I wish my '91 L35 would fall into this category of quick removal, but alas it does not. So, I just keep the bucket low to the ground and go.

I don't have hills to contend with, so that's a big help somewhat in itself.

It seems to me, that as I look at my FEL, it would take a considerable bit of time to undo both the arms and cylinders to remove it as a unit. Plus, I'd need to build some kind of stand or station to ease the dock and undocking procedure. With no built in supports, she'd just flop over all turtle like.

My FEL is pre QA, so I don't even have the luxury/option of dropping the bucket, if I wanted to get rid of that weight and turning obstacle.

One just learns to live with it. I usually mow with the bucket vertical. Frees up a little more turning radius that way.

To all who have "Fast Removal", enjoy! :thumbsup:

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #29  
:(

Guilty as charged

never had it off, for fear of not getting it back on (little level ground which I beleive makes putting the bucket back on easier)

If i had mastered this skill, fair to say , I would not have taken out one of my fence braces last week when mowing a paddock :eek:

Been there done the exact same thing. Wife got a good laugh out of it. I have taken out a couple of fence posts and hit other things but I still have not had the FEL off. I have been meaning to do it but never had enough time to study how it goes on and off.

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #30  
There are times I wish my '91 L35 would fall into this category of quick removal, but alas it does not. So, I just keep the bucket low to the ground and go.

I don't have hills to contend with, so that's a big help somewhat in itself.

It seems to me, that as I look at my FEL, it would take a considerable bit of time to undo both the arms and cylinders to remove it as a unit. Plus, I'd need to build some kind of stand or station to ease the dock and undocking procedure. With no built in supports, she'd just flop over all turtle like.

My FEL is pre QA, so I don't even have the luxury/option of dropping the bucket, if I wanted to get rid of that weight and turning obstacle.

One just learns to live with it. I usually mow with the bucket vertical. Frees up a little more turning radius that way.

To all who have "Fast Removal", enjoy! :thumbsup:

Know exactly what you mean. I have a couple that take two grown men and a trained monkey to remove, so they stay on.