Problems getting Yanmar tractor running.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #31  
Good she runs now I think you are on the right track getting some injector cleaner thru it. Id keep using it fact I personally recommend Power Service fuel additive. I run gray bottle in every tank @ double strength it has the most cetane boost (helps knock) and injector lube. good luck

Oh and I would put some clamps on all those hoses sooner or later that will bite you. ;)

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running.
It may be running, but something is very wrong. Tractor runs great at idle, but under any load at all including just driving it, it knocks bad and blows a combination of heavy black and white smoke. The knock always coincides with the smoke. It doesn't run hot. What research I've done online seems to point to some head damage. Possibly the swirl chambers? Any suggestion what I should do next? I also learned that I'm the 3rd person to work on this tractor, and the prior 2 guys both used ether in an attempt to get the thing running.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #33  
Sounds like over fuel do you have a diesel pump shop handy? If so have the injectors pop tested and rebuilt as necessary.

Sounds like over fuel do you have a diesel pump shop handy? If so have the injectors pop tested and rebuilt as necessary.

I don't have anyone local that I'm aware of. If you or someone else knows of a good reliable shop, I could probably just mail them the parts. Thanks Car Doc.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #35  
Find a shop that maintains big over-the-road diesels, or farm diesels if you are in an ag area. Or since you are in Florida, maybe a boat shop? They can refer you to an injector and pump shop.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #36  
What california said. These small yanmars were put into boats. There are many of these little yanmars even 1 cyl versions in sail boats.

Do these heads even have a "swirl chamber" the pics of them i have seen they look pretty basic and flat to me? Not a head guy or even a pro mecanic but can figure things out though.

Not sure how much time you want to put into it but these heads look and are very easy to pull. You can pull it to rule out the head or valve damage or rings for the price of a new head gasket and a few hours labor.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #37  
Ok here is something that came to mind for me. Could you run the engine at the rpm its acting up and if so crack an injector at a time you may find the one(s) that is acting up and go from there?

I also am wondering about the coolant overflow bottle any big bubbles when its first started or anytime its running?

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #38  
Make sure you have a good torque wrench if you pull the head. They hav to be torkued to the 225-230ft lb range on a lot of them.

I started the tractor up last night to try what Car Doc had suggested about breaking the bleeders loose while the engine was acting up. I hadn't had a chance to start it or try anything else since Sunday afternoon. She started right up and actually seemed to be running pretty decent. I decided to take it on a quick run around the yard. I was able to run it wot and didn't have that billowing smoke like I did last time I ran it. I drove it for a good half hour and the only times it's smoking now is upon acceleration. The knocking was minimal and would only do it at low rpms. Even then, it didn't last more than a few seconds.

All I can figure is that the injector cleaner must have done some good sitting in the injectors and/or injector pump for a few days. I know mechanical problems don't heal themselves. I called my neighbor who owns the tractor to come over and have a look. I gave him the option of having me pull the injectors to get them rebuilt, or to just take the tractor home and run it. He opted to take it to see what happens. The fact that it improved about 80% since the last time it ran without turning a wrench on it and just sitting leads me to believe that it might just clear up on it's own. I told him to top off the half full tank and put a double or triple dose of cleaner in the fuel. Keeping my fingers crossed.

A BIG thanks to all of you guys who have helped me out with this thing. :thumbsup:

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #40  
Its amazing what the right stuff getting to the right spot will do I hope its all better now! :thumbsup: