Problems getting Yanmar tractor running.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #41  
I think we were on the right track. I think it was a combination of fuel knock or lack therof and also too much fuel from maybe sticking injector pump? Smoke on acceleration is normal. I would run the you know what out of it now.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #42  
I know when last filling up my tractor I didn't have the additive I usually add to it, It's now knocking as though someone inside with a hammer, I've heard this is the nature of the beast, But I cannot help but to think with this type of knocking going on something internally is being damaged,:confused: if this were a gas engine I would think a rod is about to come through the block,:cool:

Anyway! glad to hear you got it up and going:thumbsup:

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #43  
DND thats the "yammer hammer" thats why some folks seem to get a tractor from someone who just aquired it somehow and wants to get rid of it as they think it has a rod knock. I too use PS all the time and when i first used it it seemed quieter but i thought it was just me wanting to hear it. But i had a fill up or 2 without any and it seemed to really "hammer" more. I then got some and (next time at walmart) and put it in the tank and it seemed over time to quite? I usually use the grey bottle i think, the summer one with max cetane boost and use it at bouble the rate that the label says as i use so little fuel a year and the bottle says its ok for a dirty engine or something, but anyway the bottle says its fine so i do it. I think the small bottle lasts me about 18 months so its no big deal.

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #44  
DND thats the "yammer hammer" .
Back when I first got my yanmar and was out using it checking it out, my neighbor came over and stopped me, He suggest that he thought it was about to throw a rod, I hadn't restored it yet and it must had looked like a junk to him, Though I had already been informed by the previous owner that it's suppose to sound this way and I told my neighbor it's suppose to sound like this, his reply is that I should have known better and I should know a rod knocking when I hear one, and implied that I got ripped off, by saying "he hope I didn't give much for it" after I restored it he thought I'de bought me a new tractor but was confused by it sounded off,
Every now-n-then he'll yell over " I see it hasn't threw that rod yet":D its been almost 5 years now:thumbsup:
I think if I didn't hear the knock something might be wrong;)
Just think when these tractors were being used on the farms in Japan the sound they made all over the countryside, would have been music to our ears:confused2:

Last edited:
   / Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #45  
Yup agreed PS grey @ double strength does an amazing job of quieting my engine especially when she's good and warmed up. I have found that if I forget to add any when I fill later on I will notice myself thinking "man this engine is sure gettin loud" and then I remember I filled in a hurry and forgot to add. (I run winter fuel 1/2 #1 and 1/2 #2 year round and I think its more prone to knock anyway but may be wrong on that?)

I probably need to figure out a good place to keep the bottle at my farm tank instead of inside the shop it would make it pretty handy since my memory isn't any good anymore. :) :laughing:

/ Problems getting Yanmar tractor running. #46  
I just discovered a station that has farm diesel. Same as road diesel except red dye and no road tax. $3.99/gallon, vs $4.27 for the cheapest road diesel around here.

I too use PS gray at double strength. I've also started adding 2-cycle oil in the proportion that would be single-strength Power Service. I'm trying to use up some old oil, and I think its a good idea in general to add lubricity. At this small concentration the smell isn't noticeable and there is no smoke - except a trivial amount momentarily when the tiller is loading it so hard that it can't hold rpm. I think this is much less smoke than I would see without the additives.