PT425 towing mode??

/ PT425 towing mode?? #1  

Modrob

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac
My PT425 was borrowed, taken out in the woods, and some bad gas was put in it…long story short, I need to get it back home where I can dig into the non-start problem now. So…
I need to “tow” it—drag it up on a trailer. My manual says on way page that a “bypass hose” is to be hooked up between two fittings on the pump. (My wife as second owner has no such hose) And that a “tow valve” on the pump should be turned out two turns.
The book pictured valve doesn’t look like mine, as mine has the two fittings on the right side (as opposed to top side in book.) There is what looks a large hex nut on the same side back behind the two fittings.
Now, in this same book, under the “Service Instructions” it says to tow: “open tow valve on pump, move park brake handle to release, and move unit slowly…”

So…how can I move this safely? I had to drag it about ten feet today to get it back up on level ground, but all four tires slid easily on the wet, slick ground…

/ PT425 towing mode?? #2  
By the time you do all that, could you drain out all of the gas, replace the fuel filter, clean the carb, and see if it will run on its own? I got some bad gas in my Terramite with the CH20 engine this year. That's what I did instead of trying to move it without power.

/ PT425 towing mode?? #3  
I would call Terry at Power Trac with your S/N. Other than that, most trams have a fitting or bolt in the center portion that looks "different". You back that off and it will bypass. I always want to try mine before an emergency and then mark it in red paint. Maybe someday.

/ PT425 towing mode?? #4  
I don't know what year yours is, mines a 2001 model year. Here's a link to a thread where I had to two mine, among other things. It shows where my bypass hose connects on my style pump. Your's may be different.

As others said, best to call Terry at 1-800-THE-YARD tomorrow with serial number and get some advice.

/ PT425 towing mode??
By the time you do all that, could you drain out all of the gas, replace the fuel filter, clean the carb, and see if it will run on its own? I got some bad gas in my Terramite with the CH20 engine this year. That's what I did instead of trying to move it without power.
Yes I did that already…I thought I did a pretty good job of thoroughly cleaning the carb, jets and such…but I think with the big change in colder temps have zapped the battery and there isn’t enough juice to get it to fire correctly. (This unit has always been temperamental in starting in cold weather)

Last edited:
   / PT425 towing mode??
Went today and bought a new battery and had a bypass hose made up. Also called PowerTrac/Tazewell and talked with Andrew in shop. (He gave me some info but to be sure he said he’d have someone call me back in the morning and detail it better)
Loaded up tools and battery in our TW200 TrailWagon to head to the disabled 425, and blam! Shifter cable lets go! (I guess a good thing as minutes later a terrible gut cramp started, and that usual quick RUN to the toilet!)
Maybe better luck tomorrow…

/ PT425 towing mode?? #7  
   / PT425 towing mode??
It might also be handy to have a portable jump starter pack with you in case you have to crank it a lot to try to get it running. AVAPOW Car Jump Starter, 4000A Peak Battery Jump Starter , 2023 Upgraded Powerful Portable Battery Booster Power Pack, 12V Auto Jump Box with LED Light, USB Quick Charge 3.0 Yellow - Walmart.com

If it won't start, an electric winch would be handy to get it on a trailer or at the very least, a come-a-long.
That crossed my mind, and I wondered what might be a good unit. Thanks for the recommendation. I have a 12v winch sitting in a shed…hmmm…but I have an old-fashioned chain hoist that would probably be less hassle. Hoping I don’t need it…😊

/ PT425 towing mode??
Andrew called me back this morning, and said after reviewing my serial number, my pump should have the tow valve on the underside of the pump, and a couple of turns on that should let me move it, if need be.
Later this morning I’ll first try the new battery and see if that does the trick. (And at some point today, get back to finding a method to solder on the cable end to the new shifter cable for the TrailWagon—various attempts last night ended poorly, so with some YouTube help maybe I’ll get lucky today😆)

/ PT425 towing mode?? #10  
Andrew called me back this morning, and said after reviewing my serial number, my pump should have the tow valve on the underside of the pump, and a couple of turns on that should let me move it, if need be.
Later this morning I’ll first try the new battery and see if that does the trick. (And at some point today, get back to finding a method to solder on the cable end to the new shifter cable for the TrailWagon—various attempts last night ended poorly, so with some YouTube help maybe I’ll get lucky today😆)
Re the shifter cable: I never found solder to be a great repair, mainly because I could never get good adhesion to the cable (wrong flux?). I had better luck with crimping the old end on, or fabricating a replacement end. Then again, what seemed to work best for me was buying a new cable, so perhaps I'm not the best person to weigh in on this.

As far as getting your tractor running, I would be tempted to borrow a battery or two from other vehicles, and some jumper cables to make an extended battery pack. If you get the 425 running, getting the batteries back will be easy. One thing that I would consider doing is that I would check for spark before going much farther. When you do try to start it, if you have trouble getting it to catch, I would try some carburetor cleaner down the carburetor while cranking. Most engines will at least fire on carburetor cleaner.

FWIW: In my limited experience with bad gas is that it takes longer than I expected to get fresh gas into the carburetor. My few encounters with bad fuel have given me a great desire to never repeat the experience, so I go out of my way to buy fuel from better retailers, not store it for long, and treat every gallon that comes on the property with stabilizer.

All the best,

Peter