PT425 towing mode??

/ PT425 towing mode?? #31  
Couldn’t find a small enough replacement o-ring, so now I’m waiting on a new carb to arrive. (And the snow and cold to moderate 🥴)
Just out of curiosity, how small is small? (I think the new carb is a good idea, I'm just being inquisitive...)

All the best,

Peter

/ PT425 towing mode??
Just out of curiosity, how small is small? (I think the new carb is a good idea, I'm just being inquisitive...)

All the best,

Peter
Hmmm…let me attach a pic and see if that helps…

Attachments

• E07AF3F9-E20D-4666-A85F-5CE736590B16.jpeg
    E07AF3F9-E20D-4666-A85F-5CE736590B16.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
   / PT425 towing mode??
Well…Sat. Dec 23…Captain’s Log (😆)
Failure…again…
New carb installed, new fuel filter, new lines. No difference. Still will not start/run.
According to my inline spark tester, both cylinders are firing. I pulled plugs and cleaned (they didn’t look too bad.)
With heavy battery charger hooked up it’s cranking at good speed. If I add choke or spray in some starting fluid, it seems to “bog down” in cranking speed but then recovers in a couple seconds. Extended cranking with no choke or fluid and it starts to pickup cranking speed and again, sounds like it’s about to “get right” and start/run. But nope.
I’m wondering if it’s developed a timing issue? I believe mine is the Smart Spark system (has a little module mounted on side of one valve cover) and I believe only one magnet on flywheel that is comprised of two small square metal insets.
Arrrrggggg…

/ PT425 towing mode??
Here is the spec tag which over time has become illegible but I think it is a CH25 and maybe an S added to it ? EDIT: closer viewing, could it be “725”?
REVISED EDIT: upon more investigation, I now believe the “725” part is from the FAMILY line, and on the next line I can make out “CH25s”

And the ignition module backside showing numbers.

Attachments

• 1F9FC84A-ECBC-4B48-B975-59DD3F2E1B2C.jpeg
    1F9FC84A-ECBC-4B48-B975-59DD3F2E1B2C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 04CC0F21-FB64-45A9-88AC-432479B082DB.jpeg
    04CC0F21-FB64-45A9-88AC-432479B082DB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
   / PT425 towing mode??
Here is a pic I grabbed off the net (not mine) but looks just like it. This pic doesn’t show the second coil unit on the right, and…my coil units have two spades/ two wires each…

Attachments

• 83E99213-0C5F-4C5F-B363-BD9F65CB3DFB.jpeg
    83E99213-0C5F-4C5F-B363-BD9F65CB3DFB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 43
   / PT425 towing mode?? #36  
I hate to even suggest this but we have had a kohler twin break the rods. It sounded like it was turning over but the pistons …. If you can check compression

/ PT425 towing mode??
I hate to even suggest this but we have had a kohler twin break the rods. It sounded like it was turning over but the pistons …. If you can check compression
Compression…funny you suggested that…I did that today and ouch! One cylinder measured 90psi and the other barely moved off the zero—maybe 10psi? And…I drained off a little oil from the bottom, and it’s THIN. And smells like some gas in it…🥴 Not looking good at all…

/ PT425 towing mode?? #38  
I believe that fuel pump has a diaphragm in it that often springs a leak and drains gasoline into the oil. Thin oil is one sign, but a more common sign is an overflowing oil pan/high oil level.

Good diagnostic work!

All the best, Peter

/ PT425 towing mode??
I believe that fuel pump has a diaphragm in it that often springs a leak and drains gasoline into the oil. Thin oil is one sign, but a more common sign is an overflowing oil pan/high oil level.

Good diagnostic work!

All the best, Peter
Geez…I hadn’t thought of that—that bit of oil I drained was prompted because the level on the stick looked high. Doh! 🤪 Thanks for helping me discover another clue. 😊
(We have a fuel cutoff that we religiously keep shutoff when not being used, but I’ve felt for a while that it wasn’t completely doing the duty—it’s a heavier, metal lever/assembly thing. I’ve been meaning to replace it but all I keep seeing are the plastic ones that I didn’t think was as robust as the metal one…ouch!)

/ PT425 towing mode?? #40  
Merry Christmas!

I don't recall if you pulled the valve cover on the side with low compression. If so, ignore.

If not, pull the cover and look to see if the nut(s) that hold the rocker(s) haven't come loose and let the push rod(s) come out of place.

That happened to mine and it wouldn't start. No damage. I just put the pushrod back under the rocker arm and tightened the nut to spec.

As for the fuel pump... I had the same problem. I removed the valve cover, gutted the pump, added some fittings to suck vacuum, and installed an external vacuum fuel pump. Works great. I'll find a link to the process and post it.