PT425 towing mode??

/ PT425 towing mode??
I don't really understand what you’re trying to do here, a pic might help. Did you ever try the cable clamps? Like a miniature heavy duty muffler clamp. You could either collapse the eyelet onto the cable, or clamp it along side. Just a thought.
Sorry…I was sidetracked from the 425 when my TrailWagon broke a shift cable. I was trying my hand at soldering a barrel end on. (So far nothing but failures—I have two ordered, but…I still have to try LOL)
I had to cut off existing barrel end of a new cable and run it into the stock outer cable housing—it has the curved metal threaded end with two adjusting nuts. The cable goes into the side of the barrel. The barrel fits into a half round “rotor” on side of transmission for one direction. Another cable fits into the rotor as well for the opposite direction. The rotor rotates, pulled or pushed by the cable/shifter.

/ PT425 towing mode??
Update: Friday I prepped the trailer, welded on a 12v winch, fashioned a power supply cable with a reversing switch. Grabbed an old fashioned chain hoist as well then headed out to get this thing loaded and back to the house. That little tow valve on the bottom of the pump? That sucker said “I’m not budging!” and then ate the end off my little screwdriver. Nothing worked, so desperate, I called the SHOP at 4:20 and Terry was there. He told me that the bypass hose would work fine when I mentioned mine did have the two ports. So…hooked up the winch cable and started to pull…it moved about 2 inches and the winch said “I ain’t doin’ that!” and would then drag to nothing…luckily bringing the chain hoist worked. The winch cable did hold while I cranked the hoist. Since the hoist only had about a 4 foot chain, I had to reposition several times. But lo-and-behold, I got it on the trailer. (I did remove the bucket earlier)
Got it home and later tried to start it with a big charger but still no good. It acts like it hints at catching but then just dead cranking. (Even with starting fluid) I am getting spark at the plugs…
Saturday I’m gonna pull the carb off again and go through it once more, and see what that brings
Thanks for keeping up.

/ PT425 towing mode?? #23  
I would squirt fuel directly into both cylinders to see if it will fire.

Havent priced or tried any of the Amazon carbs for Kohler v twins, but the ones I've used for Honda and Briggs worked with less effort than cleaning and rebuilding the OEM carbs.

/ PT425 towing mode?? #24  
Glad you got it home.

On to your engine problems.

If you have spark, and you have starting fluid, and it pops but does not keep running, it's most likely an air/fuel problem. (thanks mr obvious).

Since you've gone through the fuel lines, filter, etc and have verified that fuel is getting to the carb, and nothing has changed inside the carb other than you think you got a batch of bad gas,

Check under your valve covers and see if the pushrods are moving the valves as you crank the engine with the starter.

/ PT425 towing mode??
I would squirt fuel directly into both cylinders to see if it will fire.

Havent priced or tried any of the Amazon carbs for Kohler v twins, but the ones I've used for Honda and Briggs worked with less effort than cleaning and rebuilding the OEM carbs.
Good idea…
I took the carb off again and figured I’d go through it once more (plus the fact I learned after I’d reassembled it last time) and this time pull out the little “emulsion tube” and clean it. (When I was in it last, I noticed it sticking up with a little o-ring on top—tried to gently tug it out but was afraid to pull too hard, so I left it)
After rodding out the little passages I then noticed the top o-ring was split, so now I’m digging through old parts and even tried to thin one down…no luck. Maybe the parts place down the road will have one tomorrow. But I will order another carb—non-OEM ones run about 29 bucks and up. OEM? I need a second mortgage. 😉

/ PT425 towing mode??
Hmmm…from yesterday and before I took off carb again and have on bench…
Usually a hit or two of starting fluid and a good strong boost and this thing fires right up. However last few times I’ve tried, I don’t get hardly any “firing” while cranking with the fluid. It’ll pick up just a little as if it’s about to fire up, and then back to dead cranking. While I do see spark from both plugs with a tester plugged in to the boot, I wonder if it’s enough spark?

/ PT425 towing mode?? #27  
Spark plugs are cheap - I would replace them just to eliminate one possibility. Sorry if I missed that you did. Did see that you cleaned them.

/ PT425 towing mode?? #28  
Good idea…
I took the carb off again and figured I’d go through it once more (plus the fact I learned after I’d reassembled it last time) and this time pull out the little “emulsion tube” and clean it. (When I was in it last, I noticed it sticking up with a little o-ring on top—tried to gently tug it out but was afraid to pull too hard, so I left it)
After rodding out the little passages I then noticed the top o-ring was split, so now I’m digging through old parts and even tried to thin one down…no luck. Maybe the parts place down the road will have one tomorrow. But I will order another carb—non-OEM ones run about 29 bucks and up. OEM? I need a second mortgage. 😉
A clogged jet can really mess things up, and a likely outcome of "bad" gas. With the fine holes inside an emulsion tube, it is certainly a likely place to "gum" up and give you exactly the symptoms that you are seeing.

At this point, if it were me, I would buy the non-OEM carburetor and see what happens. My bet is that it should improve things. I would also put a whole can of SeaFoam or equivalent in your gas tank when you refill it with new, clean fuel just dissolve any remaining gunk in your system and clean everything up.

Good luck,

Peter

/ PT425 towing mode?? #29  
Sometimes a reoccurring "almost starting" issue may be water in the fuel. The next time you drain the carb, look for evidence of water with the fuel like separation beads. I have seen it often that a loaned out machine stops running because it was refueled with a contaminated container.

/ PT425 towing mode??
Couldn’t find a small enough replacement o-ring, so now I’m waiting on a new carb to arrive. (And the snow and cold to moderate 🥴)