PTO Cement Mixers

/ PTO Cement Mixers #31  
Kerosene, Like the fireman do? I haven't heard of this one before, might have to ask some of the guys who have been around for quite a while... aka "old timers". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PTO Cement Mixers #32  
Hi, We used EndDust furniture polish to spray the fire trucks down with before parades. Spay it and wipe them down it gave them a great shine and the dust and dirt wouldn't stick to it. EndDust never bothered the paint either.

Dave

/ PTO Cement Mixers #33  
Do you guys have problems getting ready-mix delivered? Unless we're talking about setting corner posts, I can't imagine a concrete project that I would mix myself. My local ready-mix company will deliver a yard minimum -- less if you're willing to wait until there's a larger order in your area.

I had a culvert to put in my drive that ended up setting right on top of bedrock. I decided to pour concrete around it to prevent it from crushing, since I couldn't get to the recommended depth. Since it was going to be about a yard and a half, I looked at buying Sakrete and renting a big electric mixer. In the end, it was going to cost about 20 percent more than having the ready-mix truck bring it out -- and would have been an all day, arduous project.

Just wondering what you guys are doing that makes a small batch mixer look attractive.

/ PTO Cement Mixers #34  
It's tough to be old, like me. When I was a kid growing up in the big city, the local firehouse washed the trucks with hot water and a cup of kerosene. I used to wash my vehicles with that too. Now I use the hot water pressure washer and hot wax.

/ PTO Cement Mixers #35  
Jeff - in my area it's a 4 yard minimum @ $90/yard for delivery - no delivery at all on the weekends. Not easy to swallow when doing small projects around the yard, and usually on weekends! I purchased an electric mixer for just a bit more than the first 4 yard delivery would have cost and now I can do all that small stuff at my convience. I still use thie big guys when I have a project that warrants it.

-Norm

/ PTO Cement Mixers
I seem to always have projects that require just a few cubic feet of cement. Ready mix may actually be more cost effective, considering the price of a pto cement mixer and the actual use I'll get out of it over the years. However, I'd rather not bring logic into the picture. My wife applied logic when I first wanted to buy my 790. I almost didn't get it.

/ PTO Cement Mixers #37  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Jeff - in my area it's a 4 yard minimum @ $90/yard for delivery - no delivery at all on the weekends. -------Norm )</font>

Wow, that's tough. Guess I should feel lucky that I can get small batch delivery.

/ PTO Cement Mixers #38  
I'm in the same boat, 3 yard minimum, partial load fee, delivery charge, has to be off the truck in 25 minutes. Does not work out so good for the small stuff, especially if you are doing a bunch of fence posts and stuff. Won't deliver on the weekends here either...

/ PTO Cement Mixers #39  
Someone once posted a picture of their electric mixer and their generator both in their FEL. I assume the mixer was bolted into the loader. Yes, that was their portable set-up for post holes, etc.

/ PTO Cement Mixers #40  
Here's a link to a picture of my concrete mixer in my FEL that I posted a while back.

I had made a set of light duty "forks" out of 2 x 4's a couple of years ago following an idea someone else here on TBN posted. The vertical portion of the fork wedges up against an angle-iron lip I put on the top edge of the bucket. They're surprisingly strong and I've used them to move a pallet with a couple of concrete blocks on it (my loader capacity is only 550 lbs).

Anyway, being wood, they made a good and easy base to attach the cement mixer head to. They can't tilt out from the top because of the lip and I threw a chain and chain binder around the horizontal wooden cross member I attached to them and up around the back of the bucket to the top lip. This keeps the whole thing from sliding out at the bottom.

It worked quite well except that the length of the forks meant I had to dump the concrete from about 18". If I'd shortened the forks I could have laid the concrete down with much more accuracy.

By the way, the hose reel on the loader arm is there for when I put my sprayer tank in the FEL bucket and drive around the property to spray. It's just held on by a pair of "U" bolts so I take it off after spraying season.

Mixer in FEL