PTO connect battle

/ PTO connect battle #11  
I’m thinking when I had my 755 you could put the lever in the mow pto position and then the rear pto could spin freely???

/ PTO connect battle #12  
Make sure friction between the two sections of plastic tubing comprising shaft guard is not a source of difficulty. I spray tubing with Dry Lube where they (should) slip easily, one over the other.

/ PTO connect battle #13  
I can count on one hand the times hooking up my big 'ol Wally chipper was a pleasure. The PTO shaft is heavy - the location is cramped and awkward - you get one end on and snapped in and, for sure, something somewhere is going to have to rotate to align the splines on the other end. And the entire U-joint operation on both ends is covered in sticky black grease. And about that time - I'm nearing the end of my rope - on patience.

I will say - not worrying about the "button lock" until the U-joint assembly bottoms on it does help get the shaft on. Once it bottoms on the button - push the button and slide her on the remainder of the way. Easy to say - - at times, a REAL pita.

At times a single blade of green grass has prevented one or the other of the U-joint assemblies from sliding home.

/ PTO connect battle #14  
A true farmer just slips the PTO on and goes to work. That was just said with tongue in cheek but it is how some will disparage remarks about difficulty in hooking up the PTO.
They can be a pain in the butt, literally. (Talking about the PTO not the "disparagers") :)

/ PTO connect battle #15  
Not really a disparager, BUT. did you park the mower up on wood so that you could spin Shaft without the blades hitting the dirt? If the stub shaft on the tractor wont spin then the shaft on the mower MUST be able to spin. Take a long screwdriver thru the cross if you need to to be able to turn the shaft. Also suspend the heavy shaft with a bungie cord to the A frame so that the weight is not constantly wearing on you as you fiddle with getting the splines lined up.

Like you did the splines must be clean, burr free and lubed and should have a bevel on then to facilitate alignment. I used to struggle with PTO hookup, but after taking some of my own advice and doing it several times, I don't struggle any more.

What you should do after getting it hooked up is take it off and spin the shaft with that screwdriver and hook it up again. Practice makes hard difficult grueling jobs easier, to the point that they no longer are hard, difficult grueling jobs.

The difference between a disparager and a complainer is the disparager has gotten good at an onerous difficult task, and the complainer has not.

I know, I know, once you get it hooked up the last thing you want to do is practice hooking up, but if you will actually do it several times, you WILL get better at doing it. This practicing works for many things, PTO shafts, and women too! :)

/ PTO connect battle #16  
I have a lot of 6x6 treated scrap blocks and pallets so when I'm finished with anything I put it on blocks. It's easy with bush hog on blocks to turn pto, and I clean/lube before connecting, keep the pto cover on my JD when not using it.

/ PTO connect battle #17  
I’m thinking when I had my 755 you could put the lever in the mow pto position and then the rear pto could spin freely???

I was going to say that. That is what I would try next. I would also try lubricating both sides of the connection with chain lube.

Aaron Z

/ PTO connect battle #18  
I can't even imagine how the regular Joe, Deals with his PTO. Not one of my machines has the guards or plastic stuff. I just don't ever go near a running PTO shaft or even near a stopped one on a running tractor. And life is so much easier.

/ PTO connect battle #19  
I can't even imagine how the regular Joe, Deals with his PTO. Not one of my machines has the guards or plastic stuff.
I leave them on unless they are in the way or cause it to be less safe. If they break, I might fix them.
I just don't ever go near a running PTO shaft or even near a stopped one on a running tractor. And life is so much easier.
Same here. A starter and a battery are cheaper than a trip to the hospital.

Aaron Z