PTO connect battle

/ PTO connect battle #21  
Not sure how you are doing it, but I ignore the lock until the yoke slides on the 1/2 inch or so until the lock hits. Then operate the lock and push the yoke all the way on. Holding the lock "open" while trying to align the splines is too awkward.

Bruce

Thanks, yes I do it as you say; but the final push is difficult for me. I should make up a tool to provide leverage while pushing in line with the PTP.

/ PTO connect battle #22  
Make sure friction between the two sections of plastic tubing comprising shaft guard is not a source of difficulty. I spray tubing with Dry Lube where they (should) slip easily, one over the other.

Thanks, I have not done that. It should be just what I need to resolve this issue!

/ PTO connect battle #23  
Not really a disparager, BUT. did you park the mower up on wood so that you could spin Shaft without the blades hitting the dirt? If the stub shaft on the tractor wont spin then the shaft on the mower MUST be able to spin. Take a long screwdriver thru the cross if you need to to be able to turn the shaft. Also suspend the heavy shaft with a bungie cord to the A frame so that the weight is not constantly wearing on you as you fiddle with getting the splines lined up.

Like you did the splines must be clean, burr free and lubed and should have a bevel on then to facilitate alignment. I used to struggle with PTO hookup, but after taking some of my own advice and doing it several times, I don't struggle any more.

What you should do after getting it hooked up is take it off and spin the shaft with that screwdriver and hook it up again. Practice makes hard difficult grueling jobs easier, to the point that they no longer are hard, difficult grueling jobs.

The difference between a disparager and a complainer is the disparager has gotten good at an onerous difficult task, and the complainer has not.

I know, I know, once you get it hooked up the last thing you want to do is practice hooking up, but if you will actually do it several times, you WILL get better at doing it. This practicing works for many things, PTO shafts, and women too! :)

Thanks for taking my "disparaging remarks" humorously. Just having a little fun. :)

/ PTO connect battle #24  
I still contend there should be a special he** for the genius that thought that a collar that had to be pulled back in the opposite direction that the coupler needed to be pushed onto the shaft was a good idea. :mad: It usually takes couple of minutes to connect the three point hitch, then ten or fifteen to get the PTO shaft on and locked in when I connect the brush hog. Tiller is usually a lot easier to connect.

/ PTO connect battle #25  
I still contend there should be a special he** for the genius that thought that a collar that had to be pulled back in the opposite direction that the coupler needed to be pushed onto the shaft was a good idea. :mad: It usually takes couple of minutes to connect the three point hitch, then ten or fifteen to get the PTO shaft on and locked in when I connect the brush hog. Tiller is usually a lot easier to connect.

I had one of those on my brushhog. It was a pain One day while greasing it I found that the end at the gearbox had the latch with a pinin iit. I swapped ends on the shaft and away I went not problems since

/ PTO connect battle #26  
The reason why "real farmers" don't have such difficulties is that their farm implements are much larger and have more room to work around while attaching the PTO shafts. Also, they just take more things in stride and have learned to deal with them rather than complain about them. ;)

Lived in a farm community most of my life. :)

/ PTO connect battle #27  
I connect the pto before I get the 3 pt hooked up. Plus I’d never touch a pto unless the engine is off. YMMV.

/ PTO connect battle #28  
I found that trying to hold the PTO shaft up and straddling it was too hard to do both and push the shaft forward while also pulling the lock collar backward. It's just too many awkward things in too little space. By using the chain that keeps the plastic shaft cover from spinning when the shaft is rotating, I found some immediate relief in being able to better control the process. This allows me to use some remaining strength to align the splines with the shaft section and to pull back on the collar as I slide the shaft past the lock groove and done. Amazing how changing just one factor makes things go right. And approaching the process methodically instead of assuming it is going to be a fight also reduces the stress level. All this includes having a clean PTO stub and lube where it needs to be.
Hope this helps. I know it's not the button type, but same general principles may apply. No harm trying. If you get it to work, I also suggest writing down the method to the letter to be able to duplicate, especially if one only does it infrequently. And practice can make perfect too.

/ PTO connect battle #29  
I found that trying to hold the PTO shaft up and straddling it was too hard to do both and push the shaft forward while also pulling the lock collar backward.

I frequently see comments of this sort here about the difficulties in hooking up a PTO shaft. But why would one be trying to hold back the collar (or press in the button) while aligning the spline and yoke? The yoke will slide on the better part of an inch without holding the collar or pressing the button. That's normally plenty to get everything aligned, and to support the shaft.

Only then is there a need to pull back the collar or press the button to push the yoke home and seat the retaining balls or pin.

/ PTO connect battle #30  
I frequently see comments of this sort here about the difficulties in hooking up a PTO shaft. But why would one be trying to hold back the collar (or press in the button) while aligning the spline and yoke? The yoke will slide on the better part of an inch without holding the collar or pressing the button. That's normally plenty to get everything aligned, and to support the shaft.

Only then is there a need to pull back the collar or press the button to push the yoke home and seat the retaining balls or pin.

Yeah, well, as you get more practice you start working smarter instead of working harder. :D