PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue)

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #31  
In the second picture it doesn't look like you have very much range of motion in the telescoping of the PTO shaft or at least the cover. There may be plenty but I would watch as you raise and lower it to make sure it isn't bottoming out.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue)
That was a question. She said it was a cable. The only thing that I can think of that would make that kind of racket on a PTO that is cable related is if it was partially engaging.
Yes, partially engaging. Belt is stretched or frayed. He did something that he said would allow me to 'temporarily' mow, but it would likely fail again. I got about 1.5 hours mowed yesterday.

Interestingly, while he was diagnosing the problem, the belt came undone. He clearly wasn't familiar with how to put the belt on, but followed the diagram.

This morning, I went out to mow, PTO engaged, and then the belt broke. Grrr. I suspect that he did not adjust the tension properly or else it was a fault of the PTO fail.

I today order two new belts, just in case. Another thing I had to order was the Idler pully. I forget what he said was wrong with that. I ordered two of them too to the tune of $150. The two belts were $100. Add to that the service call (???) and the price of the cable he ordered.

I am not a happy camper today.

In the second picture it doesn't look like you have very much range of motion in the telescoping of the PTO shaft or at least the cover. There may be plenty but I would watch as you raise and lower it to make sure it isn't bottoming out.
This I don't understand but I will pass it along to the mechanic when he comes to replace the belt. This is a Kubota tractor mechanic and they don't sell Bush Hogs so that is why he is not familiar with my mower. In fact, I'm not even sure if he services any mowers, although the company he works from sells all sorts of farm machinery. Wonderful service!!

An unrelated question. Have any of you downloaded a machine manual from any of those on-line free sites such as manualslib.com? I'm suspicious of them because I can't see what they have to gain by providing all these manuals when there is no charge and I don't see any advertising. The reason I ask is because I don't have a manual for my mower and they have it on line. I was able to print a screenshot of the pertinent page I need so I didn't have to download.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #35  
An unrelated question. Have any of you downloaded a machine manual from any of those on-line free sites such as manualslib.com? I'm suspicious of them because I can't see what they have to gain by providing all these manuals when there is no charge and I don't see any advertising. The reason I ask is because I don't have a manual for my mower and they have it on line. I was able to print a screenshot of the pertinent page I need so I didn't have to download.

I have downloaded many equipment manuals, both from OEM sites as well as others like you are describing. I prefer the OEM sites since they are usually better organized. Have never had a problem with any of them. All my devices have security software installed that would warn of a dangerous site but it never have for these sites.

Just curious, what is your mowers make and model? I am not familiar with a 3 point hitch mower that is belt driven.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #36  
I have downloaded many equipment manuals, both from OEM sites as well as others like you are describing. I prefer the OEM sites since they are usually better organized. Have never had a problem with any of them. All my devices have security software installed that would warn of a dangerous site but it never have for these sites.

Just curious, what is your mowers make and model? I am not familiar with a 3 point hitch mower that is belt driven.
Probably a finishing mower would be my guess.

It's a Bush Hog RDTH84 finishing mower which is a 7 foot mower.

I wrote a couple posts up that I had ordered an Idler directly from Bush Hog company. I am concerned now that I bought the wrong thing. Serviceman called it a Idler Pulley. On the Bush Hog parts site, there was nothing called that. All they had was an Idler Arm, and Idler Arm Bushing, and just Idler. I order two of the Idlers assuming it was the 'wheel' that the belt goes around.

Now reading other things on the web, the terminology is confusing me. There isn't much hardware on that deck. Just the wheel and the belt. I'm hoping that it is the defective wheel that caused the belt to break.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #39  
The idler part listed is a pulley. The terminology is not perfect but the pictures are helpful.

Messicks.com is another source for Bush Hog parts. Their price for the idler is about $10 less although shipping might be more.

The idler part listed is a pulley. The terminology is not perfect but the pictures are helpful.

Messicks.com is another source for Bush Hog parts. Their price for the idler is about $10 less although shipping might be more.
I've ordered things from Messicks before. Shipping is really expensive. I have found that the belts from Messicks and other sellers are not authentic Bush Hog belts. A Bush Hog belt for my mower is $200 from Bush Hog company. It's around $49 from Messicks and others. I order two of them, in anticipation of one breaking. This is getting expensive.