PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue)

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #41  
Here is a youtube video that shows the idler wheel/pulley tension being adjusted. That looks like a pretty substantial belt, so i'm not surprised it's expensive.

Idler tension adjustment

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue)
Hi all. Reporting that I'm back in action again. New Pto wire and new idler pulley have been put on. Did quite a bit of mowing with no problems. I purchased an extra pulley and I have two extra belts for future. Thanks everyone for your input.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #43  
allenport, If you have a local tractor user near you ask if they can show you how to remove the pto shaft and trouble shoot it.

Often tractor owners are rather helpful people willing to spend a few minutes helping a neighbor who is polite and asking. Some of this has to do with the rural mindset, neighbors tend to help each other.

A week ago had tractor slide into the road ditch and it wanted to role onto it's side. A neighbor I know stopped by and was back in few minutes to pull my tractor out the ditch. At same time a couple of weeks ago passed a neighbor I had never noticed much less knew fighting a lawnmower stuck in road ditch. Took my pickup and pulled him out the ditch. Just what most rural neighbors do.

Many will be very wiling to help a neighbor in need. Just don't let need be to often and be sure to thank them.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #44  
It's okay to be needy, just not too needy.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #45  
If you really do not understand how your tractor snd implement work then get somebody to provide you with some knowledge and observation. You didn’t get on your horse and immediately canter; you had a trainer. Same thing. Most knowledgeable tractor operators will spend time acquainting you with the tractor for a beer. Also you need to provide care for the tractor just like your horse: grease, oil changes, filter changes. Keep it out of the weather. It will last much longer.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #46  
Yes a photo of the PTO shaft and both connecting ends will help a lot.
Going forward for all folks with tractor issues: pictures, video, sound all really help. And, as a courtesy to those who helped fix with information, a follow up report on what actually was wrong is very educational.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue)
It's okay to be needy, just not too needy.
?? WTF? I see this forum is just like the others on various subjects. Also several judgemental, snarky posters that feel a need to degrade and humiliate.

Just because I came here for input doesn't mean I didn't spend a lot of time trying to learn about my tractor. Go find someone else to pick on.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #48  
Never mind the heckler....
If you could post what state you are in, maybe someone on here lives close to your farm and can help you out with future problems.

Please dont give up on Tractor Bynet you can learn a lot by just reading the forums, there are a LOT of friendly folks here that are always willing to help.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #49  
On Friday 8/11 I mowed for a few hours. No problems. Yesterday, Saturday 8/13, I drove down to the field, engaged the mower, and it sounded like I was grinding up a pile of steel. It was loud and startling. I immediately turned off the switch. Looked behind me and it wasn't cutting at all. My first thought was a damaged belt (btdt) or something stuck. Ruled that out. Checked the blades to make sure they turned and weren't obstructed. Waited for my evening handyman helper (he is only a shade more knowledgeable that me on this stuff). He asked where the noise was coming from, and I couldn't tell. So I started up the tractor and engaged the blades so he could hear. He said it was coming from where the PTO drive shaft connects. He fumbled around with that, not really knowing what he was hoping to achieve. So that was the extent of trying to resolve the problem.

I then went to google and youtube looking for answers and really couldn't find any. I can't seem to see how that finish mower drive shaft connects to the tractor. I'm thinking it is loose or something. Does that make sense? I can't even figure out of to remove it. According to what I found on youtube, it should 'snap' in place. Some video show some sort of 'button' which mine doesn't have.

It's very weird that this problem occured overnight. I do mow very uneven land up and down hills, etc.

Do you still need a photo of this?
Allenport, please get a few books on how to run a tractor. They are very dangerous, NEVER get off the tractor unless the pto is completely stopped. Not just slowed down but STOPPED. I do not have the experience as most members on this site but that was the first thing I learned. Next get a good book on "how to run your tractor". Just let the people on this site know what you have and someone can recommend a good one.
I have a Yanmar 2500 and have a site for that type of tractor but welcomes anyone. Site has helped me a lot.
The video that jeff9366 sent you is good. I never knew there was a third type of connector. Let them know what tractor you have. They can give you a lot more info.
Texas John

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #50  
Allenport: I just want to applaud you for your "I'm gonna make it" attitude. You have wrangled, persevered, and continued, despite the loss of your husband. You have not let machinery intimidate you, and the fact that you are here demonstrates that you know how to fend for yourself and get the information you require to continue to make good decisions. You clearly know how/when to ask for help, and I for one, applaud! I appreciate and recognize your tenacity and grit.👏
And one thing you have already experienced here is that many posters are well-intentioned, but often take side roads off the actual topic. They mean no harm; they just wander about some. But in the midst of those topic-stealers and computer-preachers, you will find genuinely concerned and helpful posts.

Welcome to the Network and we wish you well.