PTO speeds

/ PTO speeds #21  
Engine speed will be the same 2200~2400 rpm 'PTO speed' regardless of which pto gear you choose. Look for the ticmark on the tachometer somewhere between the standard 2000 and 2500 rpm marks.

You probably know this but - only the Japanese Yanmar tillers (and maybe some other Japanese brands) are able to run at the higher pto speeds. American implements for small tractors are all designed for 540 pto rpm maximum and running them in a faster pto gear is dangerous.

But based on Winston1’s engine rom’s to obtain 540 pto rom’s, you could reduce engine wear and fuel consumption by reducing the engine rpm’s yet still generating the 540 pto setting required for the US build implements.

/ PTO speeds #22  
I skimed thru this thread as I recall the pto speeds were very interesting;
seemed like a 540 and an economy 540, then a 1000 and an economy 1000.
A 540 and a 1000 at rated speed,
then throttle down a bit for an economy 540 or 1000.

/ PTO speeds #23  
I skimed thru this thread as I recall the pto speeds were very interesting;
seemed like a 540 and an economy 540, then a 1000 and an economy 1000.
A 540 and a 1000 at rated speed,
then throttle down a bit for an economy 540 or 1000.

Economy is 500RPMs from what I gather. On the larger Yanmar compacts, the tach shows this.

So Winston is EXACTLY CORRECT.

DSCF7277sm.jpg

/ PTO speeds #24  
Hi all. Tractor newby here.
I have a Mitsubishi MTX2801D and have no clue about how to correctly set my pto speed. My tractor has a pto gear stick with 4 speeds and a regular (transmission? ) gear stick with 4 speeds.
Am i understanding 284's original post correctly where he says
"Standard PTO speed: 540 pto rpm/2,580 engine rpm (first)
1,000 pto rpm/1979 engine rpm (third)"

What he is referring to is, have my PTO gear stick in first and set my throttle to about 2,580 rpm?
I am using a flail mower which states a required speed of 540 but i have no idea if i am at 540. I am currently operating with pto stick in 2nd, normal stick in 2nd and high range, and rpms up around 2,000rpm (engine speed i assume)?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

/ PTO speeds #25  
Hi all. Tractor newby here.
I have a Mitsubishi MTX2801D and have no clue about how to correctly set my pto speed. My tractor has a pto gear stick with 4 speeds and a regular (transmission? ) gear stick with 4 speeds.
Am i understanding 284's original post correctly where he says
"Standard PTO speed: 540 pto rpm/2,580 engine rpm (first)
1,000 pto rpm/1979 engine rpm (third)"

What he is referring to is, have my PTO gear stick in first and set my throttle to about 2,580 rpm?
I am using a flail mower which states a required speed of 540 but i have no idea if i am at 540. I am currently operating with pto stick in 2nd, normal stick in 2nd and high range, and rpms up around 2,000rpm (engine speed i assume)?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Kirbz,

Mitsubishi Tractor Owners group moved from Yahoo to GroupsIO at this location:
main@mitsubishitractors.groups.io | Home

BUT, we Yanmar folks do have some knowledge with them. :) Your machine is similar to our Yanmar 'Forte' series machines.

On your machine, do you have a clear picture of what the RPM/Tach meter looks like. This would help us to help you too.

/ PTO speeds #26  
I did not see any reference to pto speeds on the 2801. Different models have different speeds. I would believe your 2801 would be rated at around 540 rpm in lowest pto speed with throttle at a good high operating speed. Pto speed is independent of transmission gears. Your pto speed does not change when changing transmission gears. You might want to invest in one of these to give you peace of mind. Digital Photo Sensor Tachometer

/ PTO speeds #27  
I did not see any reference to pto speeds on the 2801. Different models have different speeds. I would believe your 2801 would be rated at around 540 rpm in lowest pto speed with throttle at a good high operating speed. Pto speed is independent of transmission gears. Your pto speed does not change when changing transmission gears. You might want to invest in one of these to give you peace of mind. Digital Photo Sensor Tachometer

Winston, Now that is one cool little device! Didn't even know H-F sold those.

Not all of the tractors made by various brand manufactures have the multi-speed PTO outputs in the RPM tach and hour meter. Your link to the tool is indeed a useful device.

Depending on engine speed of RPMs and the PTO selection, one can tune in to the output of the PTO speed very easy with that device. :thumbsup:

/ PTO speeds #28  
I have owned a Mitsubishi for 15 years or so.
3 speed PTO, 540-710-1000 RPM.
Main PTO usage 4 me is snow blowing with a 3 blade fan 60 rear blower.
I found 540 pathetic* so I have always used the mid PTO range and never looked back. (except when blowing snow, (pun intended))
I did, however, refurbish my blower this last summer and found no adverse damage due to higher RPM usage.

* so much so that the blown snow barely cleared the berms. At 710 the performance was greatly improved.
1000 would have self destructed that poor blower.

/ PTO speeds #29  
I have owned a Mitsubishi for 15 years or so.
3 speed PTO, 540-710-1000 RPM.
Main PTO usage 4 me is snow blowing with a 3 blade fan 60 rear blower.
I found 540 pathetic* so I have always used the mid PTO range and never looked back. (except when blowing snow, (pun intended))
I did, however, refurbish my blower this last summer and found no adverse damage due to higher RPM usage.

* so much so that the blown snow barely cleared the berms. At 710 the performance was greatly improved.
1000 would have self destructed that poor blower.

Likewise here, I can run the brush mower at PTO speed selector 2 at lower engine RPMs and still arrive at 500 to 540. If the field has gotten a little tall, I bump it up to 600 to 630. The oil in the gear case is still clean and no shavings. That speed levels out at 685, but I wouldn't risk that.

Are the Mitsubishi's engine RPM speed related to PTO RPM speed too like the Yanmars?

/ PTO speeds #30  
?-Are the Mitsubishi's engine RPM speed related to PTO RPM speed too like the Yanmars?

For sure as they are essentially mechanically coupled via the gears.