PTO step up gearbox

/ PTO step up gearbox #1  

South Coast Ranch

Tractor
John Deere 5045e
I run quite a few pto attachments that should run 540 RPM, but do not require much horsepower. My John Deere 5045e has to run 2100 engine RPM to run 540 at the PTO. Is there a step up gearbox available that would hook to the PTO and step up the speed so I could run in the 1500 RPM range and still have 540 pto RPM? Ratio should be about 1 to 1.4 or 1.5 if available. Any ideas.

Last edited:
   / PTO step up gearbox #2  
I never run out tractors over 1600. Cuts hay just fine if you have the horsepower. Just because someone says 540 don't really mean anything to me. They do have gearboxes like you want. But they mount on the equipment, not the tractor.

/ PTO step up gearbox #3  
I am not familiar with your tractor, but do you have a 1000rpm pto shaft? If so, get a stub that fTts on it, but terminates with the standard 540 pto shaft splines. Then you can run your 540 rpm implements at the standard speed, with your tractor running at nearly half speed.

/ PTO step up gearbox
I run quite a few pto attachments that should run 540 RPM, but do not require much horsepower. My John Deere 5045e has to run 2100 engine RPM to run 540 at the PTO. Is there a step up gearbox available that would hook to the PTO and step up the speed so I could run in the 1500 RPM range and still have 540 pto RPM? Ratio should be about 1 to 1.4 or 1.5 if available. Any ideas.
I am not familiar with your tractor, but do you have a 1000rpm pto shaft? If so, get a stub that fTts on it, but terminates with the standard 540 pto shaft splines. Then you can run your 540 rpm implements at the standard speed, with your tractor running at nearly half speed.
It is 540 only

/ PTO step up gearbox
I never run out tractors over 1600. Cuts hay just fine if you have the horsepower. Just because someone says 540 don't really mean anything to me. They do have gearboxes like you want. But they mount on the equipment, not the tractor.
Yeah I also don't run things faster than needed to get the job done. Most things do great at lower RPM and that's where I run them. One thing I use that does not do a good job below 540 is a litter pulverizer and that is the main piece where I looking for a step up gearbox. Also have a mower that would benefit from it. Who are the "they" that you are referring to who have gearboxes that mount on the equipment? Any links on names?

/ PTO step up gearbox #6  
Have you contacted a dealer? Maybe they can get you the stuff needed for the 540E option, if that's available on that model that is.

I too do most of my PTO work in 540E (around 1800 engine RPM). Tiller and brush mower does just fine in 540E. Fuel consumption is also very noticeable as I get around 12 to 14 hours on a full tank in 540E vs 7 to 9 hours in regular 540.

/ PTO step up gearbox #7  
Yeah I also don't run things faster than needed to get the job done. Most things do great at lower RPM and that's where I run them. One thing I use that does not do a good job below 540 is a litter pulverizer and that is the main piece where I looking for a step up gearbox. Also have a mower that would benefit from it. Who are the "they" that you are referring to who have gearboxes that mount on the equipment? Any links on names?
I've seen them before. Used to be an old water pump around here that had one on it. You could run it either way by turning gearbox around. I have seen them in other places. I would check Surplus Center for gear boxes first. I have also seen 3 speed truck transmissions run backwards to speed things up.

/ PTO step up gearbox
Have you contacted a dealer? Maybe they can get you the stuff needed for the 540E option, if that's available on that model that is.

I too do most of my PTO work in 540E (around 1800 engine RPM). Tiller and brush mower does just fine in 540E. Fuel consumption is also very noticeable as I get around 12 to 14 hours on a full tank in 540E vs 7 to 9 hours in regular 540.
Maybe if I could find the right dealer or mechanic, they could help me with whether it can be added to that transmission. I know in the older models they had Epto with that transmission but in the newer models it is only available in the electronic transmission and with higher horsepower. I did not need either one, but the Epto would be nice. Any info on a competent dealer. When I was looking at mine, he told me it had Epto, but he couldn't find it and then decided it didn't. Not knowledgeable enough to inform me if that is an option that could be added.

/ PTO step up gearbox #9  
Maybe if I could find the right dealer or mechanic, they could help me with whether it can be added to that transmission. I know in the older models they had Epto with that transmission but in the newer models it is only available in the electronic transmission and with higher horsepower. I did not need either one, but the Epto would be nice. Any info on a competent dealer. When I was looking at mine, he told me it had Epto, but he couldn't find it and then decided it didn't. Not knowledgeable enough to inform me if that is an option that could be added.
Brands like COMER or Brevini make all kinds of PTO gearboxes. Most I've seen are for hydraulic pumps but I think they make step up gearboxes too with a female 6 spline input and 6 spline male output. The trick may be finding a supplier for those.

/ PTO step up gearbox
Thanks for the comeback. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Any ideas of where to find them?
To achieve this, you can consider using a PTO speed increaser, also known as a step-up gearbox or PTO speed-up gearbox.

A PTO speed increaser is a device that attaches to the tractor's PTO shaft and increases the output speed, allowing you to run your PTO attachments at the desired RPM while maintaining the standard 540 PTO RPM. These gearboxes typically come with a specific gear ratio, which is what you're looking for—around 1 to 1.4 or 1.5 in your case.