Pull Behind Sicklebar Mower

/ Pull Behind Sicklebar Mower #51  
First Choice offers several sickle mowers that look very nice and I understand or more reasonably priced. I have been trying to buy one for several weeks though and don't seem to be getting anywhere.

/ Pull Behind Sicklebar Mower
Thanks Jerry, /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Kent

/ Pull Behind Sicklebar Mower #53  
i have a Befco sickle mower and am very happy with it, I think it will work fine for what your looking to do, either that or spend alot for a flail mower that offsets and angles, i think ferri makes them but expensive. I don't know where you located. But i got my sickle in Connecticut at www.NewEnglandTractor.com. price was fair an quality is good.

Thanks Earthmaster1, and Welcome to TBN

I've been trying to find someone , who actually owned one. What tractor are you using for the Sickle? Also what size is the Sickle? Thanks for the reply.

Kent

/ Pull Behind Sicklebar Mower #55  
i have the 6' and use it on my Mahindra 2810. think it was around 3,000.00 for the mower if i remember right. weight is just under 500 lbs cut 90 deg up and 70 deg down so work well for ditches and pond edges.

Thanks for the answers Earthmaster1,
It may just be what I'm looking for. Have a good day. Kent

/ Pull Behind Sicklebar Mower #57  
Regarding the pull behind sickle mowers, I grew up with them. In Nebraska and the western states, where there is a bit more room, in the 60's we would hook two, one on a two wheel chassis and use both. In '62, what we could mow around with 2 doubles(2 sets with 2-9' bars) in 2 hours we could put up the next day. The biggest problem was finding dump rake teeth stuck in the ground in the grass from the previous year as they would knock out at least 1 ledger plate(bottom shear plate) in the guard(sickle bar holder) and two sickle sections(sharp teeth on sickle bar). The mower operators would carry at least 4 extra sickle bars for a half-day(6 hours-preOSHA!).
They do a great job, smooth and even as the tractor always runs on the ground that has already been mown. They do only mow grass, not shrubbery, not heavy weeds, shucks, even sweet clover can bind them up. The Pitmanless mowers will mow any you can lay them.
BUT they are Dangerous! Never get off with them running-Never get in front of the mower if the tractor brakes are not set. When horse drawn mowers were used, every summer someone would be crippled or killed when his horses would pull the mower over him. (Not a good way to go!)
They take a little maintenace, but, boy, they mow fast on clean! Good Luck. Russ

/ Pull Behind Sicklebar Mower #58  
That really sounds wicked with the horse drawn sickle mowers. You cannot set the parking brake.

Thanks Russ,
I live in PA Dutch Country, so I know what you are saying about the Horses. I know that Sicklebar mowers can be very dangerous. My Grandfather had one for his Ford Tractor. He mowed everything with it. Thanks again.
Kent

/ Pull Behind Sicklebar Mower #60  
Hey Kent,

Still looking for that sickle bar mower?

Well check out my thread in the Photo forum. I've got two pictures - count 'em -TWO - sickle bar setups that I found just for you! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif