Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #21  
Greetings,

We have a 3500 GMC one-ton single rear axle with a metal dump box at work. The truck GVWR is 11,100lbs. This is mainly a shop run around truck but do on a rare occasion pull a trailer or travel out of the state of CT pulling a trailer to pick up or drop off equipment or supplies that we have purchased or rented. We are not a commercial hauler or purchaser. The truck was driven 4k miles last year. My boss went to pick up a large diesel rented water pump on a trailer recently and was pulled over and cited for a list of items. The trailer GVWR is 5200lbs

What exactly do I / We need to be in compliance when operating said truck or pulling a trailer. I have done some research on my own with the CT DOT website. Just trying to make sure we are not missing anything.

• Does this truck need to go into weigh stations? Does it need to go into a weigh station when pulling a trailer?

We have weigh stations in PA. They say ALL trucks must be weighed, so if the state you traveled in has one, you must pull in and be weighed. Some empty pickups ignore this at their own risk. I have a few times and the chase car just let me go. If you were towing a trailer, and blew past the weigh station, you are going to be viewed with even more suspicion.
  • Do we need a "medical card" to operate said truck. My research said no but we have a citation for this.

Med cards are needed when the combo is over 17K in PA. If your truck has a combination weight rating (truck & trailer over the states minimum combo weight rating for a med card) then yes, you need a med card.
  • Do we need to have a USDOT number on the truck? If so where, how big etc.

Yes. Look up the size, but I believe it’s 2” maybe 2.5” lettering plainly visible on both sides.

• Do we need a carrier name on the truck?

Yes. If you are doing interstate business, the name of your business is required.
  • UCR fee? We have a failure to pay ticket. What is this?

Yes. Uniform Carrier Registration fee.
  • Do we need an annual inspection to operate this truck? We had this written twice. I'm assuming the second one is the trailer. Are we obligated to pay a fine for an item which the rental company did not perform?

Varies from state to state. Some states, like PA my state, have an annual inspection for trucks. Some do not. But we are NOT required to inspect small trailers under 3,000lbs. I think the rental company may have rented you a trailer that they believe did not require inspection. Did the trailer have brakes? Usually any trailer with brakes, typically a 2-axle trailer, would require inspection.

• Do we need a fire extinguisher in the truck? Where? Citation also states "NO F/E" what is this?

Yes. Anywhere on the truck where it can be accessed.
  • Citation for "Insufficient warning devices" Not sure even what this is? The truck is a 2023

Maybe the state that pulled you over requires a reverse beeper? Maybe the trailer or your truck had insufficient tail lights/signals?
Are there any other things that we may need that are not listed above?

Also, If we have a lawn mower on a 7x14' single axle trailer is there a minimum of how many tie downs it needs or what weight capacity the tie downs have to be?

The tie downs have to be sufficiently in excess of what the towed item weighs. Look for “WLL XXXX lbs” on the ratcheting straps. That will tell you the capacity of the straps.
Does there have to be specific tie down points that have weighted rate capacity on the trailer?
Would we have to have our 7x14' single axle cargo trailer inspected yearly?

Yes.
The length & width of the trailer is irrelevant. Its what the weight of the trailer is.

My questions are just to make sure we are in compliance.

Thanks for any assistance.
Sean

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #22  
I also live in PA.

I've given up trying to understand all the regs, and am loathe to take my 10K dump trailer anywhere these days.

Last year, I even got pulled over for leaving the hitch ball in the receiver when I wasn't towing.

I think PA is trying to make up the budget deficit with towing related fines.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #23  
I also live in PA.

I've given up trying to understand all the regs, and am loathe to take my 10K dump trailer anywhere these days.

Last year, I even got pulled over for leaving the hitch ball in the receiver when I wasn't towing.

I think PA is trying to make up the budget deficit with towing related fines.
Ouch!

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #24  
o
We have weigh stations in PA. They say ALL trucks must be weighed, so if the state you traveled in has one, you must pull in and be weighed. Some empty pickups ignore this at their own risk. I have a few times and the chase car just let me go. If you were towing a trailer, and blew past the weigh station, you are going to be viewed with even more suspicion.
Does one see a line of pickups in the weigh stations? If the sign doesn't specify "Pickups", or GVWR, then I won't stop.
We have a 3500 GMC one-ton single rear axle with a metal dump box at work. The truck GVWR is 11,100lbs.
Ok, I had read it as a pickup. So this is actually a small truck the size of a pickup.

Perhaps the choice of bed makes a difference.

That distinction between a pickup and a small truck is likely what caused the whole headache.

Next time get a non-dually pickup with a dump bed.

Either that, or get one of the monster International Harvester pickups.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #25  
Does one see a line of pickups in the weigh stations? If the sign doesn't specify "Pickups", or GVWR, then I won't stop.

Ok, I had read it as a pickup. So this is actually a small truck the size of a pickup.

That distinction between a pickup and a small truck is likely what caused the whole headache.

Commercial vehicle over 10k

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #26  

There is no distinction with the type of bed to the federal DOT regulations. It is entirely based on weight and if your participating in interstate commerce, ie any activity for profit across state lines.

It also matters not if your a carrier (people pay you to haul their freight) or if you hauling material or equipment for your own business (not for hire). Carriers do have additional regs but Not for hire doesn’t absolve the medical card, DOT number or safety equipment in this situation.

If you’re staying in your state then state regs apply.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #27  
Most of us haul personal items with personal pickup trucks. It is possible it is different if you are using it for a business.

Here in Oregon, there are two types of trailer licenses.

Under 8,000 lbs, regular trailer plate.

Over 8,000 lbs, permanent plate. With that, the trailer is part of the truck weight licensing, and it requires "T" plates on the truck.

I assume your trailer had working trailer lights, and electric brakes.

My guess is you have less than $1000 in fines and it will be easier to pay it then to fight it out of town. However, if it was a personal thing for myself, I'd be tempted to fight the charges. A lot sounds like complete BS from a junior officer that is still learning the ropes.

A good fire extinguisher is a smart idea.
My guess is that you have way MORE than $1000. in fines and yes you should go to court and attempt to make a deal. You are going to be found guilty no matter what. Plead with an excuse of stupidity and hard luck. Guilty for a reduced fine. Promise to fix everything. Welcome to Murica.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #28  
I have found that threads like this go nowhere. Many are certain that rules don’t apply to non commercial drivers. As long as you have not done anything over rating or unsafe you are good. Well not gonna weigh in at all because I have been wrong in the past. But I will say I completely understand the rules for me and my state now. It will all depend on the LEO. This area of regs are vague at best and misleading at worst. Your best course of action is to do the most you can possibly do license and med card wise. In my state my setup requires a CDL even if I was going to the grocery store completely unloaded to buy a Gatorade. I have no signage or not for hire on my truck. It is a single rear wheel Ram.

Good luck to all…

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #29  
I can't speak for Pa., but given how 1/2 or even 3/4 ton pickups are essentially passenger vehicles these days I find it hard to believe that those would need to stop at weigh stations. Commercially registered? Probably, though not sure how they'd know if you drove by and weren't towing something big.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #30  
I can't speak for Pa., but given how 1/2 or even 3/4 ton pickups are essentially passenger vehicles these days I find it hard to believe that those would need to stop at weigh stations.
No one is talking half tons they simply don’t have a gvwr of more than 10,001lbs.

Most 3/4 have a 10,000 or under GVWR as well on purpose. Typically only if you order the heavy duty tow package is it over 10,001 lbs.
Commercially registered? Probably, though not sure how they'd know if you drove by and weren't towing something big.
DOT cops are not all ignorant of what a truck is or that commerce is taking place.

A diesel 3/4 ton is likely over 10,001 and nearly all modern 1 tons definitely are, and it’s right there badged on the fender to tell them what king of truck it is. Many states have the approx gross weight rating on the plate itself.

If they are hauling something in the bed or a trailer that doesn’t look personal and the truck has out of state plates then they stop and ask questions.

The DOT isn’t out looking for shiny brodozers.

This is pretty standard way for the second SCV and has been for 50 plus years. You can see the second/right valve is different color and was added by the dealer or at least after paint of the tractor. The outside plate has bolts that sandwich the valve spools to the inner plate that is allso the 3 point valve. Longer bolts, a second spool, ,a handle, and the hard lines to the quick connects is part of the kit.

I took the time to look it up here

https://parts.mahindrausa.com/dealerview/illustration.aspx

Its not under the hydraulics tab but the attachments tab.

The kit appears under Fig 229

And looks to be part number

008017838V51

This would need to be verified by serial number with the dealer. Maybe with the correct fig number they could find it this time.

This area of regs are vague at best and misleading at worst. Your best course of action is to do the most you can possibly do license and med card wise. In my state my setup requires a CDL even if I was going to the grocery store completely unloaded to buy a Gatorade. I have no signage or not for hire on my truck. It is a single rear wheel Ram.

If hauling a large trailer that puts you over 26000 total the class A/B CDL language is worded oddly but the 10,001 GVWR needing a medical card as experienced is written crystal clear in the first paragraph

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/medical