Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #11  
Just FYI, one of the issues in just making a narrow trail big enough for the 4 wheelers is maintaining it. Initially it may be fine, then the briars and stuff starts to grow up and you want to be able to bet the tractor with mower through. Oops, trail isn't big enough :mad:

One of my ongoing projects is widening the trails to make maintenance easier.

YMMV

Ken

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #12  
Good point, Ken. We went nice and wide on mine as it will eventually be a driveway.

My buddy got a few photos up, figured I'd share my jungle mess clearing from yesterday.

Coming down into the mess.
InitialDrivewayClearing3112.jpg

Pushed over 4-5" stumps pretty easily.
Knockingoverastump-1.jpg

Keepin it wide.
WideDrivewayClearing.jpg

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings
Lots of good tips and advice! I have 90 acres that I'll be putting trails in. All in all probably a few miles worth of trails. From the sounds of it I may be able to use my DK55 to push over the smaller saplings. The more research I do on dozers the more I'm coming to the realization that in order to get a dozer big enough to do any reasonable amount of land clearing I'd have to get a bigger dozer than a D21 and I'd have to get a dump truck or semi truck to pull it with; which is outta the question. Sure would love a dozer though!! :)

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #14  
Are you just clearing saplings or going to be doing earth moving as well?

I'll just be clearing saplings. For the amount of earth moving I'd do my loader on my tractors are more than adequate.

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #16  
Lots of good tips and advice! I have 90 acres that I'll be putting trails in. All in all probably a few miles worth of trails. From the sounds of it I may be able to use my DK55 to push over the smaller saplings. The more research I do on dozers the more I'm coming to the realization that in order to get a dozer big enough to do any reasonable amount of land clearing I'd have to get a bigger dozer than a D21 and I'd have to get a dump truck or semi truck to pull it with; which is outta the question. Sure would love a dozer though!! :)

I can pull my D31P with my one-ton and a tandem axle gooseneck trailer no problem. All you need is someone to haul it to your place,un-less your going to hirer it out:D

Nah I would do it myself. After all I'm always looking for an excuse to get outside and play with my toys. :) I have a 3/4 duramax truck that I use for hauling my equipment. The problem I may have is my hunting property is 4 hours away. I like the D31 and think it would be a good dozer but am concerned about the weight.

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #18  
Nah I would do it myself. After all I'm always looking for an excuse to get outside and play with my toys. :) I have a 3/4 duramax truck that I use for hauling my equipment. The problem I may have is my hunting property is 4 hours away. I like the D31 and think it would be a good dozer but am concerned about the weight.

There was someone on here that just got a D21,maybe he will be around and see how its working for him.I beat it will work if your going around the bigger trees and not trying to push alot at one time. I got into some thick yaupon trees and they kept hanging up in others then I was wishing I had a bigger dozer,thats the worst thing I hate clearing dang yaupons:laughing:

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #19  
I have used CTL's and skid steers to remove alder saplings and they make short work of them. :thumbsup: My Deere 317 has already cleared some saplings that were overhanging the road and made short work of them, mostly everything was under 6" diameter. I have also used a Deere CT322 in the woods doing light clearing and it had more grunt than the 317. The CT322 has a ROC rating at 3600 lbs, that is a lot of lifting capacity to pull the small trees right out of the ground. And a CTL can be hauled behind your Duramax. Just something to think about.

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #20  
I use my Case 450 to remove trees up to 12" (depending on the species). Softwood is real easy but there are a few types of hard wood that take more effort. I just put my blade up high on larger stuff to knock it over, back up, drop the blade, and push the rootball out of the ground.

I would think about renting one about the size of the d21 and see for yourself what it can do. I think a tractor with a grapple would work great cleaning up the trees you've pushed over. Just make sure you get a dozer with a 6 way blade.