Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #21  
Johndeere3720 said:
I have used CTL's and skid steers to remove alder saplings and they make short work of them. :thumbsup: My Deere 317 has already cleared some saplings that were overhanging the road and made short work of them, mostly everything was under 6" diameter. I have also used a Deere CT322 in the woods doing light clearing and it had more grunt than the 317. The CT322 has a ROC rating at 3600 lbs, that is a lot of lifting capacity to pull the small trees right out of the ground. And a CTL can be hauled behind your Duramax. Just something to think about.

Im sorry for asking but what is a CTL?

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #22  

I like that dozer in ur picture,that cab must be nice:thumbsup:
My def. for CTL,would be CatTrackLoader:D

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #23  

Compact Track Loader. A skid steer on rubber tracks instead of rubber tires.

They have more power in the dirt than a skid steer but cost about 1/3 more and are more expensive to maintain.

Ken

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #24  
foreman Etexas said:
I like that dozer in ur picture,that cab must be nice:thumbsup:
My def. for CTL,would be CatTrackLoader:D

Thanks. I just couldnt figure it out. Cab certainly helps on long days but you gotta work with the sun behind you early a.m and late p.m. Dust on windows make working when the sun is low hard to do. But with that being said my next one will have a cab also. Haha.

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #25  
Haha, yep, CTL: Compact track loader. :)

Attachments

• CT332.JPG
    CT332.JPG
    990.3 KB · Views: 274
   / Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #26  
   / Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #27  
I have been building a ton of trials in the last few years. All with a mini Ex and a tracked skid steer. Dozers are nice but to much damage for a trial in my opinion. I do own a 450 JD and that is too much machine for nicely built ATV riding. IMHO....

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #28  
   / Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #29  
great pictures. thanks

/ Putting in new trails. Best way to clear saplings #30  
That puller looks interesting and I'm sure it works in certain soil and tree conditions, but probably not in other situations. It wouldn't be as easy, of course, but you could do something very similar with just chaining a tree to the skid steer and see if it works in your terrain.

There are also tree sheers and also saws which go on skid steers and CTLs that will take off a tree at ground level or slightly below. I think those would be a more reliable approach although the cost is somewhat higher ($3-4K IIRC) but they will definitely handle larger trees.

Grapples are supposed to be able to push over trees and then get under the roots and pop them out but I have not had much success with that here. Seems that a tooth bucket will do just as well.

Ken