Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #151  
Oh I know it cost money to have someone do everything for you up to flushing the commode after each use. One has to pay for what they wanted and got.
That's the crux of it... it's not what anyone I know wanted but doesn't matter... too many using the streets for dumping...

I'm still not sure how a city can enforce mandatory garbage with a private company and if the bill is not paid a lien is slapped on your property and every so often a story comes out of a lien sale...

California believes in many mandatory things...

Traffic officer follows street sweeper writing tickets... I've seen cars with many in the windshield so law enforcement is aware vehicle parked in a row away zone..

/ Question for those who live in California #152  
Most cities clean up the leaves in the fall. They also get leaves out of the gutters to prevent clogging storm drains and flooding neighborhoods or homes.
This is an essential service at leaf season in Sacramento (elevation only 16 ft above sea level) and most everywhere in the dead-flat parts of the Sacramento Valley.

Leaf pickup some places is done with The Claw, a side to side grapple that opens 8 ft wide. Kids of all ages run out to watch it work its way down the street filling a garbage truck surprisingly quickly. Quite a show!

Its well worth paying taxes for this. A lot cheaper than flood cleanup!

Is The Claw used elsewhere?

64b7daa952b8b.image.jpg

/ Question for those who live in California #153  
We have vacuum trucks for storm drains and volunteers tending neighborhood storm drains.

I adopted 3 neighborhood city storm drains and in the last 27 years no problems for the city.

Biggest aside from leaves is plastic bags obstructing grates

/ Question for those who live in California #154  
I've seen the same kind of equipment picking up piles on the street in San Jose. I think the garbage company has a yard debris pick up day each year.

/ Question for those who live in California #155  
I've never heard of or seen "The Claw" before.

/ Question for those who live in California #156  
I've never heard of or seen "The Claw" before.
Yes this is tractor related!

The photo I linked above was from Modesto.

Here's 20 seconds of a news video.

Lots more Claw vids:

This one shows the expertise of the operator, that makes them interesting to watch.
[Edit - turn off the sound. Its too distracting from the tractor operation.]

Last edited:
   / Question for those who live in California #157  
Thanks for the video's. Compared to the street sweeper that just takes one guy, and it's just one machine that's a lot faster, and does a cleaner job, It makes me wonder why they are picking them up like that? Union thing to create more jobs by getting two people to do the job that one can do? Tax money being spent so they can raise taxes for more money?

/ Question for those who live in California #159  
Thursday, in Tyler Texas, the street sweeper cleaned up all the leaves in the gutters at the house I was working on.
Had to think about that one for a minute. First thought was wondering how the street sweeper cleaned the gutters on the house. 😲 Sure beats getting up on a ladder to do it. :ROFLMAO:

/ Question for those who live in California #160  
This is an essential service at leaf season in Sacramento (elevation only 16 ft above sea level) and most everywhere in the dead-flat parts of the Sacramento Valley.

Leaf pickup some places is done with The Claw, a side to side grapple that opens 8 ft wide. Kids of all ages run out to watch it work its way down the street filling a garbage truck surprisingly quickly. Quite a show!

Its well worth paying taxes for this. A lot cheaper than flood cleanup!

Is The Claw used elsewhere?

64b7daa952b8b.image.jpg
That's a LOT of leaves/branches!! Are homeowners allowed to just dump leaves from their property in the street like that, or are these all from what overhangs the street? If the former, never heard of that being allowed.