Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #161  
In our area, if you live in the "village" you rake the leaves to the curb and the village picks them up (I think with a vacuum truck). If you live in the "township" you are on your own. You can pay to have bags picked up by the garbage company, compost them or burn them. Not much burning going on now except for my neighbor. :cautious:

/ Question for those who live in California #162  
That's a LOT of leaves/branches!! Are homeowners allowed to just dump leaves from their property in the street like that, or are these all from what overhangs the street? If the former, never heard of that being allowed.

The city where I have seen the Claw used for yard trimmings lets people put piles out once a week on specific days.

/ Question for those who live in California #163  
In our area, if you live in the "village" you rake the leaves to the curb and the village picks them up (I think with a vacuum truck). If you live in the "township" you are on your own. You can pay to have bags picked up by the garbage company, compost them or burn them. Not much burning going on now except for my neighbor. :cautious:
Interesting. Never lived in a place that offered that service. When I lived in relative suburbia the town had trash collection, but that was it. Then again, it was rural enough that everyone had multiple acres and just dumped any leaves, branches, etc. in the woods behind the house.

/ Question for those who live in California #164  
Sacramento is proud to be The City Of Trees. With the hot summer climate, creating maximum shade has been a city goal since the early days. I think it ranks near the top for tree shade compared to any city. New subdivisions with few mature trees are notably hotter than downtown.

So the volume that needs to be discarded is huge. [Edit: 25,000 tons typical].

A brush-type street sweeper would be loaded up after 2~3 blocks, when there are leaf piles larger than parked cars continually with just breaks for driveways. The garbage trucks in the videos are the only way to move so much volume.

Leaf season is also an opportunity to discard pruning debris so there's more than just leaves to be carried away. I think it was in the second video that logs must be cut to 3 ft length.

Corollary to the shade, people also refer to City Of Allergies, and there are comic t-shirts sold showing The Claw, also The City Of Noisy Leaf Blowers.

Last edited:
   / Question for those who live in California #166  
The vacuum trucks picking up leaves seems best.
.... Until there is storm debris, very common.

Looks like this 'bite' was first compressed by dropping the claw on it before it was grasped.

The tractors are naturally quick, so the best operators are like watching a tractor ballet. Great entertainment for everyone.

635820877388265428-IMG-0596_128158_ver1.0.JPG

/ Question for those who live in California #167  
The city where I have seen the Claw used for yard trimmings lets people put piles out once a week on specific days.
I think San Jose is the last of the South Bay cities to do it this way. Kinda makes parking tough on the weekends in some neighborhoods. Other towns also did something like this before the advent of those large green wheeled bins. I only moved to the Silicon Valley in the mid-80s from San Diego, and that's when we started converting to plastic bins from cylindrical steel garbage cans where I was in Sunnyvale.

/ Question for those who live in California #168  
Santa Clara uses those big green wheeled bins that you put out with the trash each week. Then every May there is the spring cleanup campaign where you can put unlimited stuff on the street. Scavengers circle around 24/7 picking through people's junk piles before the big claws and dump trucks show up. It's like a month long swap meet where everything is free. They break the city up into four sections, one week each. It's the only place I ever lived that does this. Pretty wild.

/ Question for those who live in California #169  
Santa Clara uses those big green wheeled bins that you put out with the trash each week. Then every May there is the spring cleanup campaign where you can put unlimited stuff on the street. Scavengers circle around 24/7 picking through people's junk piles before the big claws and dump trucks show up. It's like a month long swap meet where everything is free. They break the city up into four sections, one week each. It's the only place I ever lived that does this. Pretty wild.
Most of the other south bay cities do something like that. In Sunnyvale it was spring and fall, plus you could haul stuff to the dump (SMARTstation) and not pay any fees. Nothing like it in San Jose.

/ Question for those who live in California #170  
I've mentioned the major insurance companies abandoning California after losses from widespread fires. I'm now paying 3x to a nobody company for way inferior coverage.

But this couple has it much harder. Farmer's refused to renew. Then 157 companies have refused them. The problem is they are near the perimeter of the Glass Fire of 2020 which burned 67,000 Acres and over 1500 structures, including some wineries.

Their loan can now be declared due in full immediately for lack of insurance protecting the lender. They don't have the money to pay it off. The house is valueless, a realtor won't touch it if it's un-insurable.

I wonder if they'll leave California.