Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #141  
The difference between a permit and a Parking Ticket is they can tow and impound your vehicle for illegal parking.
BTDT in San Francisco, unfortunately. Long ago when I was a starving student. I parked in front of a stereo store and spent 20 minutes looking around.

Came out and saw the parking lane transforms to a traffic lane at 4pm with rushing high volume traffic, my car gone.

That was a ratty '49 Chev I had bought for $100. Next day I took the Pink Slip (title) to the towing company and gave the car to them.

That was cheaper than paying their towing fee. :(

/ Question for those who live in California #142  
It is very had to get Law Enforcement remove vehicles from Private Property. It is also hard to get a governmental entity to collect parking ticket fines or enforce penalties on private property. A Private Property owner can call wreckers and tow the vehicle if signage is posted warning if a vehicle is parked without the owners permission it will be towed.
These are vehicles on city streets with no parking during street sweeping once per week… so no sweep because inoperable expired tag cars in the way…

/ Question for those who live in California #143  
BTDT in San Francisco, unfortunately. Long ago when I was a starving student. I parked in front of a stereo store and spent 20 minutes looking around.

Came out and saw the parking lane transforms to a traffic lane at 4pm with rushing high volume traffic, my car gone.

That was a ratty '49 Chev I had bought for $100. Next day I took the Pink Slip (title) to the towing company and gave the car to them.

You are not the only one…

/ Question for those who live in California #144  

Do you wish you had that car today?

/ Question for those who live in California #145  
Do you wish you had that car today?
Not really. '49 Chevs back then - 1965 - were typically all worn out at 10 years, 100k miles.

I had bought this cheap from a neighbor when the grinding noise in the transmission had become unbearably loud, and installed a $15 junkyard transmission to get it back in usable condition. I said above it was a $100 car, - just to simplify the post - but I'm not sure I had even that much into it.

At various times I did own cars I was certain would become classics. Most notably a $50 '36 Ford Coupe I bought even before I had a drivers license. Just an old car then, like today buying a Ford Pinto. But beautiful Art Deco styling. Searching today to illustrate this post with a photo, I see this one sold for $65,000.

img_4454-jpg.4139363

Parents were outraged I had a car before a license, made me sell it. 🥵

Other notable cars I owned: Apparently a 1930's Dodge pickup as viewed from the rear, walked around front and discovered it was a 1930 Chrysler Imperial cut down with its vertical back spliced on perfectly just behind the seat then the Dodge pickup bed beyond that. But it had a minor rod knock and I couldn't afford to make it right, also I doubt it was suitable for freeway speed. Sold it.

My high school hotrod was a '37 Chev coupe with a Chev 265 (the first SBC). Terrorized the neighborhood with that. Then a relative offered me their '50 Olds, excellent condition, the same model CHP had used for their patrol cruisers. Fastest car sold in 1950. Sold the Chev and drove that for several years.

Many more classics. From an English Austin, BSA and AJS motorcycles, various Willys Wagons and Wagoneers, lots more including 2 Volvo PV544's.

wagon_washout-jpg.237027

4ea0d98f36e267427d01e67a86bd41ba.jpeg

Most cars were chosen out of a love for the classics. Cars don't rust in California so the condition of an old one, depends entirely on its maintenance history.

I'm still driving the 1999 Subaru Outback I bought new. It hasn't given me any reason to replace it.

p1530434rym186d-ontrailer-jpg.154771

Last edited:
   / Question for those who live in California #146  
These are vehicles on city streets with no parking during street sweeping once per week… so no sweep because inoperable expired tag cars in the way…
I have lived in a number of large cities and towns. I have never lived in one that had or has weekly Street Sweeping.

Weekly Street sweeping, Jeez. And the people of California complain about high taxes.

/ Question for those who live in California #147  
I have lived in a number of large cities and towns. I have never lived in one that had or has weekly Street Sweeping.

Weekly Street sweeping, Jeez. And the people of California complain about high taxes.
Thursday, in Tyler Texas, the street sweeper cleaned up all the leaves in the gutters at the house I was working on.

/ Question for those who live in California #148  
Thursday, in Tyler Texas, the street sweeper cleaned up all the leaves in the gutters at the house I was working on.
Most cities clean up the leaves in the fall. They also get leaves out of the gutters to prevent clogging storm drains and flooding neighborhoods or homes.

/ Question for those who live in California #149  

Yep... surcharge for street sweeping right on your mandatory under threat if lien Waste Management Bill...

Downtown weekly... residential.every other week... clean city initiative don't you know.

/ Question for those who live in California #150  
Yep... surcharge for street sweeping right on your mandatory under threat if lien Waste Management Bill...

Downtown weekly... residential.every other week... clean city initiative don't you know.
Oh I know. It costs money to have someone do everything for you up to flushing the commode after each use. One has to pay for what they wanted and got.