Mowing Radio Ear Protection

/ Radio Ear Protection #11  
I'm the same way. I listen to my tunes as long as I'm alone. However, when doing tight loader work, hooking and unhooking implements or anytime someone is close by they come off.

I run the wires inside my shirt to the device in my pocket or on the belt clip. I can still hear the equipment running AND enjoy my music. Oh and those d*mn pesky bugs can't fly in my ears while wearing them!!!

Same here! I tie the wires around the strap on the back of my cap so they don't tug on my ears, and I barely know the wire is there. It sure takes the monotony out of 3 hours cutting grass...

/ Radio Ear Protection #12  
Well, minner, with your concern for safety one can only hope you make it to fatherhood muchless become a grandfather. One day you may understand the wisdom of your elders.

Nice reply.
While I appreciate your concern I am doing fairly well having no major incident in half my lifetime of operating equipment, and being the father of two children where ear muffs would have been an even better idea.

/ Radio Ear Protection #13  
The ear protection is as important as eye protection, with mowers, chippers, chain saws I wear both.

/ Radio Ear Protection #14  
I've been using Thunder 29's
THUNDER29MUFFS.jpg
and similar for nigh on 20 years for high noise situations. I often combine them with ear plugs such as the Milwaukee Milwaukee 49-17-3200 NRR 27 DB Corded Reusable Earplugs, Box of 50 - Amazon.com Chainsawing, lawn mowing, tractor work etc.

I realize the importance of being able to "hear" interruptions to the situation but I like to "listen to the sounds of silence".

However, I also often am doing fairly boring mind-numbing tasks, such as taking the lawn down by 2" where I see no safety reason why I couldn't listen to a little Dead or the news. In those cases I USED (20 years ago) to plug in a device called "stereo earbuds" to a device called a "Walkman" which played CD's. Just tucked the buds into the foam in the 29's.

Over the years I graduated to a MP3 player the size of my thumb, which I strapped to my hat because I too hated the spider web of cords.

I then moved on to a Jabra Street Bluetooth Headset, Jabra STREET2 which hangs around my neck, uses standard earbuds, and I just run the cords up my shirt. I then pair it with any BT device I may be carrying.

I have probably 5 pair of 29's or their more recent versions, their prices are down to around $20. I can still switch in an MP3 player, different earbuds, the Milwaukees, or the Jabra with any of them.

To me the advantage of my way is that the components are fairly standard and inexpensive and if I misplace any of them, except the Jabra, I can switch out.

/ Radio Ear Protection #16  
I've got to side with minner on this issue. Been wearing Work Tunes for years and I am a grandpa. I can tell by the pitch of the motor or the vibration if something is awry with the tractor or the equipment. The work Tunes do not completely block out all sounds of the tractor. I would rather listen to the oldies than the hum of the mower for hours.

/ Radio Ear Protection #17  
I just got a 3M brand set for my birthday, 3M Tekk Protection Work Tunes AM/FM Radio/MP3 and Hearing Protector, they were on sale at northern tool and for $50 i thought it was a pretty good deal. no bluetooth though.

3M Tekk Protection Work Tunes AM/FM Radio/MP3 and Hearing Protector, Model# 90541-80025V | Hearing Protection| Northern Tool + Equipment

I have these as well. The headphone stopped working on one side with the radio only, when hooked up to the MP3 cable both sides work. The radio is not very loud at all compared to the noise my mower or tractor puts out. I can easily hear change in RPM or the hydraulic pump change pitch like when the bucket reaches max curl.

/ Radio Ear Protection #18  
I have been using ear plugs the past 20 years or so and they work great...
For those of you that utilize those radio head phones...
Do those things not get hot in the summertime?
Here in NC when I am mowing in the summer it is insufferable unless you have a cabbed tractor with AC...
I mow my yard with a 1720 NH and it is bearable in 100 degree heat with the sunshade but ear muffs to me would be like putting a pair of heaters on your ears in the summer...

/ Radio Ear Protection #19  
Yes, they get hot. This gives me a reason to stop, wipe off the perspiration, stretch and take a drink from the water jug filled with ice water. A cab would be wonderful but I would be breaking out the glass due to the trees.

/ Radio Ear Protection #20  
I use Bose noise canceling headphones. They are amazing! I don't know if the new ones have Bluetooth or not but mine don't.