Mowing Radio Ear Protection

/ Radio Ear Protection #21  
After going through 2 pair of Peltor worktunes over the last 4 years, I just got a pair of Howard Leights from Amazon. About $22, no radio but wired MP3 input. They are lighter, cheaper, and more comfortable than the Peltors, and I think they quiet the noise better. Like others have said, I can still tell if something is amiss with the machinery despite the tunes and sound level reduction.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Radio Ear Protection #22  
I use the work tunes also. For 5 years and love them. Other than they can get hot in the summer. I can still hear my equipment and know if something is not right. You don't have to turn the radio up loud just to hear it. So its not like your going to damage your hearing with the radio on.

/ Radio Ear Protection
I have to disagree with the first couple responses, when you have hearing protection in you can't hear much anyways so having a radio built it doesn't change if you can or cannot hear your machine. I am used to the feel of my machine like most others have also mentioned. And if your going to hit something it's not on purpose so listening to music doesn't change that. I like the idea of being an all in one device not having ear buds under earmuffs. Ill check out the other one mentioned at lunch today. Thanks for the great responses, much appreciated!

/ Radio Ear Protection #24  
Yes, they get hot. This gives me a reason to stop, wipe off the perspiration, stretch and take a drink from the water jug filled with ice water. A cab would be wonderful but I would be breaking out the glass due to the trees.
There is a solution to trees and a cab. Just takes a few hours with a chainsaw or pole saw to raise those limbs up above the cab. I have a cab on the LS and FOPS on the Kubota and so far(knock on wood) I haven't damaged either with tree limbs. One does have to keep aware when working up close to trees. Some low hanging limbs, I just let drag over the top. At most it just folds back the mirrors. We have some oak trees that tend to droop the limbs when growing and even with diligent trimming, there always seems to be one hanging down lower than my LS cab top. I do sometimes use the radio in the cab when I think about it. Lately I have just left it on (power off when the key is turned off) so it comes on when I crank the tractor. I don't run it so loud that folks driving down the highway can hear it (like some of the idiots in cars)but just loud enough to have some background sound. It is hard to beat that AC in a cab plus the bugs/dust cant get to you. It is worth the time (trimming the trees) and money ($4000-5000 for the cab) to me to have a bit of comfort in my old age. I also had to contend with open station equipment when on the farm so it is welcome relief to be able to work several hours bush hogging or whatever and get out of the cab clean and dry. Lets also not forget the winter work which is just about a good with a nice heated cab.

/ Radio Ear Protection #25  
Hey Guys,

I have been running my L190 Skid loader pretty regularly over the last 3 months. I have found it pleasant to listen to audible books from my Iphone while working. Unfortunately, the ear buds have never worked well for me, they won't stay in my ears and they do nothing to attenuate the noise generated by the skid. My skid has an enclosed cab (with AC) so it is impossible to hear anyone outside and it is uncomfortably loud inside. When working with a helper we have to rely on hand signals to communicate. I have spent many hours flying my own plane while using headsets and I assure you I can hear and feel the tone of the airplane especially if a problem arises. The solution I am working on, with a local electronics shop, is to develop a patch cord to go from the Iphone to my aviation headset including the mic. That way I will get the best noise attenuation available, will be able to hear my audible books and music, use the Iphone as a phone and hopefully will be able to use the headset with a FMS radio when working with a helper on the ground. My hope is to combine the patch cord with a ANR (active noise reduction) headset.

Tim

/ Radio Ear Protection #26  
Lol, I love how things get twisted. If you read all the posts except from the OP, you would think its a debate on ear protection safety (radio or not).

I will get you my brand when I get home. I went to my local Stihl store as I figure that brand would be good quality. (They may be but I never tried them. The dealer said he carried stihl for a shirt time and had to many complaints. He is a VERY reputable dealer and recommended another brand. I have used them for over two years and they work flawless. Also it has mps connection but no Bluetooth.

I agree with minner, I kept them on unless people were outside or working with others. Typically any work I do I demand kids / wife stay inside unless I am far away. I currently have a cab and listen to the radio in there.

The "earmuffs" do get warm but its definitely sustainable. With that being said, I use them alot currently for trimming and other things, when your ear sweats it may feel like a bug crawled in your ear. Interesting feeling. Bugs for bother me, but with the influx of Tics this year it makes me react a little quicker. Good times !!!

/ Radio Ear Protection #27  
I use the Peltor work tunes. I've had 2 pair of them in the last 4 or 5 years. Managed to lose the first pair some way/some how. Then I got the second set from Amazon for something like $30. I've used them the last couple of years. The radio has quit working, but hooked to the phone/mp3 player still works. I clip the phone to my belt/pants and run the cord up through my shirt. Biggest issue I have is usually this time of year, I will get an outer ear infection from wearing the ear muffs. I guess I need to try something else and still be able to listen to some music...4+ hours of riding gets boring.

/ Radio Ear Protection #28  
Lol, I love how things get twisted. If you read all the posts except from the OP, you would think its a debate on ear protection safety (radio or not).

Yup, I thought the same thing. I purposely avoided commenting on the 'safety issue' in my post as the OP never asked anything about that :thumbsup:

/ Radio Ear Protection #29  
I use Peltors on the tractor and in my wood shop. I either listen to talk radio or Pandora through my iPhone.

I happen to know that I can hear better in noisy situations with the ear protection, even with the radio.
In the shop while running table saw, planer, router table, or jointer along with a 5hp dust collector I can't hear my land line phone ring, but without the ear muffs on I can't.
When I worked in a large printing company you could always understand someone talking better over the noisy printing presses when wearing ear protection.

Now, the only thing dangerous about using the iPhone while on the tractor is texting. :D (just kidding)

/ Radio Ear Protection #30  

Those guy's must be confused. Mine only cover my ears, I've never heard a tractor type hazard cetting close.:confused2:
Anybody have a set that get's in the AM signals well?