Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road?

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #11  
agree, way too much stupid out there. we have plainclothes cops here stepping into crosswalks in front of moving traffic and then writing ticket when cars don't stop. The rule I was taught, pedestrians IN the crosswalk have the right of way and you should stop for them, they forget to tell pedestrians that cars have the right of way on the road and wait until it is clear before stepping into crosswalk. (I am not talking about a crosswalk at controlled intersection, but rather the random ones in the middle of the block)

and my favorite, bike riders that want the pedestrian rights and the vehicles rights.

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #12  
People trust other folks driving skills to much or they are just plain stupid.Another thing I have noticed when folks walk out of a store (say walmart)they cross in front of traffic thinking everyone will stop for them.I think we live in a entitlement society full of lawsuits

I blame this on school buses!
If you watch kids getting off of school buses there are signs, flashing lights, mirrors and safety gates so there is no need to look danger.
They grow up thinking they have the right of way and the whole world will stop for them!

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #13  
It all depends whether or not you have a woman (on the outside) to shield you from harm.

There are few things in life I hate as much as school buses. There was a time, when the "good" drivers would pull over and let people pass, but that sensible and kind act seems to have been curtailed.

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #14  
As a child I was always taught to walk on the left side of the road here in the USA as drivers drive on the right side of the roadway. In this manner you are facing traffic not with your back turned to it. It seems common sense to be able to face the oncoming traffic so that you have a chance to get off of the road way if need be, as your eyes and ears work much better that way.

Don't think I didn't notice that, James. :laughing:

You're right, though. I was taught by my parents and at school to walk opposing traffic if there wasn't a footpath [sidewalk].

I was also taught as a child that at a zebra-crossing/cross-walk to look both ways AND then point to indicate that you wanted to cross, holding your finger out the entire time.

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #16  
Not sure about what side of the road to walk here, but I heard the reason for driving on the left side of a car goes back to the 1800s with stagecoach drivers.
The thing that makes me nervous are bicycles on the road, what we need is a bike lane on all roads and make Mexico pay for it, Ayuh....

ps. I love rants.........

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #17  
I saw a Doc on Denmark. It seems that they have raised sidewalks going across their roads. Pedestrians and the elderly don't have to negotiate curbs.

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #18  
Well, if you happen to pass me running down the side of the highway be warned. There is something very big, bad and full of bullet holes somewhere close behind me.

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #19  
Not sure about what side of the road to walk here, but I heard the reason for driving on the left side of a car goes back to the 1800s with stagecoach drivers.
The thing that makes me nervous are bicycles on the road, what we need is a bike lane on all roads and make Mexico pay for it, Ayuh....

ps. I love rants.........

I got curious so I didn't a wee bit of Googling... apparently, in 1792, the US government passed a law mandating that all vehicular (horse & wagon) traffic would keep to the right when passing oncoming traffic. It wasn't until 1908 that Ford started building Left-Hand-Steering vehicles.

Steering from the Right-Hand-Side goes all the way back to ancient ships... before the invention of the rudder. Back then they used a specific Steering-Oar, which always was hug over the right hand side (side = border or board). This was for when they were in port to take on/off load cargo; the left hand side was put alongside the jetty/wharf, which kept the right side, with its steering oar, free to operate/manoeuvre.

Over time the words Steering-Oar & Border (side) 'slurred' into 'Starboard'. :eek:ath:

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #20  
I do believe I have much more important things to worry about than what side of the road my neighbors are walking on! lol lol

SR