Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #31  
Obed, thanx for all the info. I've never done a temp pole but will need one in the future. There is a lot of info in this thread and I appreciate it guys. I think our helpers are in the same union. Are his front legs bent like Mr. Rufus?
69333d1170089037-re-setting-electric-pole-panel-p1010026-small-.jpg

Attachments

• P1010026 (Small).JPG
    P1010026 (Small).JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 602
   / Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #32  
I posted a bit of a summary of what our electric co-op required down in the country, but I just now found that they have a website they didn't have before. So, if you go to Navarro County Electric Cooperative website, click on "specs" on the left side of the page, then click on the type of service, and there's the illustrated requirements. Pretty neat website.

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #33  
the point of the pole size is so it can be climbed.

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #34  
randy41 said:

I can't say that's not right, but I wouldn't think that would be it, since the top of the pole is only going to be 12' out of the ground. I'd expect everyone to just use a ladder instead of climbing the pole.

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #35  
randy41 said:
Not around here, they use a bucket truck for all high work. You won't find a pole of any kind with spike marks on it.

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures
BTDT said:
We hired an electrician to put up a 16 ft electric pole to provide power for a camper...When you hired him, did you specify that you wanted this pole set in concrete, or did you just "assume" that he would do it that way? If you told him, and he didn't, then you might have a complaint.

I've done some soul-searching on this one. Was the electrician's work adequate or not?

There were some issues with the way the RV and 120V receptacles were installed that I'll talk about later as I show pictures of doing the re-assembly. The main problem was a communication issue - my fault. I was thinking of this as a permanent installation and the electrician was thinking of it as a temporary pole. My wife thinks he had told her he would set the pole in concrete but she says that with some tentativeness. He did make 3 trips to the property. He experienced some delays because of us and our dealings with the power company. He definitely has the time an effort into the job appropriate for the fee.

For a temp pole the job was adequate. For a permanent pole the job was inadequate.

Lessons learned? Ask lots of questions about "how" the job will be accomplished.

Would I hire him for another job? Maybe.

So here's the bare pole in the daylight a week later. I put a level on it and it was standing perfectly straight. I've also included a picture of the parts waiting to be re-assembled.

Attachments

• IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 222
The eye-bolt running through the top of the pole seems to be causing a crack to form. The bolt is probably a little too close to the end of the pole.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 219
I decided to jury-rig the pole with some large hose clamps to help prevent the crack from growing.

Attachments

• IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 212
We can thank the people we elect to office for this.

Attachments

• IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 280