Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures
The top eye-bolt will be used to physically support the wire that runs from the transformer on the power company's pole to our 16 ft pole.

I attached a smaller eye-bolt to the pole to anchor a guy-wire to the top of the pole. The guy wire will offset the pull on the pole caused by the electric wire. We bought 15 ft of 3/16" steel cable to use for the guy-wire. Unfortuately we didn't have the right tools to crimp the swage cable fasteners with us so we didn't get to install the guy wire.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 220
   / Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #42  
Obed said:
I decided to jury-rig the pole with some large hose clamps to help prevent the crack from growing.

Get some resin and fiberglas cloth and wrap your pole with that and make sure you seal the top with fiberglas and make sure you have at least 2 or more layers and you will be fine for a long time
Jim:)

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #43  
Obed:

Instead of hose clamps, drill two thru-holes at 90 degrees to the eye-bolt and run machine bolts with large washers through the holes. This will stop propagation of the crack much more effectively. To really do it up right, add a third bolt just below the end of the crack.

I would also replace the lag-type screw eye with a machine thread with a large washer and a nut.

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #44  
I was gonna suggest screwing in a bunch of deck screws from all angles if it's something you're worried about, but that I would just leave it be.

Dave's idea is better if you want maximum strength.

Jimi brings up a good point in covering the end grain. You can put something over it like fiberglass, or a cover of some kind. I always cut the tops at an angle so the water can run off quickly. Standing water is the enemy.

There isn't very much preasure on the top of your pole to need a guy wire. I'd reconsider putting one in. It's just one of those things that complicates mowing and gets in the way more times than you'd think possible.

Eddie

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #45  
Hose clamps, bolts, etc. may stop the crack, but will they stop the moisture getting in, and the rot? Fiberglass, or some other sealer, for the top of the pole will slow it some. The more I see and read, the more I'm convinced that the Navarro County Electric Cooperative is right in requiring round, treated poles.

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #46  
EddieWalker said:
There isn't very much preasure on the top of your pole to need a guy wire. I'd reconsider putting one in. It's just one of those things that complicates mowing and gets in the way more times than you'd think possible.
Eddie

The weight of the drop wire is a major consideration around here and the power company will not hook to a pole that is over 100' from a feeder pole.

You can see old poles that are leaning toward the feeder pole.

If a guy wire is deemed necessary then the best attachment would be to screw an eye directly on the stud coming out the back of the pole and use two guys at an angle.

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #47  
Here you have to be within 40 feet of the pole. The further out you are, the more weight and preasure you have to deal with, but at short distances, the pole is plenty strong enough to not need a guy wire.

If you are out 100 feet, then it would make sense. I've just never heard of one being that far away.

Eddie

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #48  
cutting the top of the pole at an angle exposes more of the end grain than would otherwise be exposed.
if you are putting on a guy wire you might want to use a through bolt with washers and a nut to hold it.
this is gonna be the best built meter pole ever.

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #49  
Obed said:
We can thank the people we elect to office for this.

is that the fact thats its made in china? or that it has to also be in spanish?
think.gif

/ Re-setting Electric Pole & Panel Pictures #50  
Lag bolt for guy wire; no: Use existing top bolt with another bolt and washers. Concrete in hole; not needed and the concrete will hold water around the treated pole causing it to fail sooner. Is pole treated for below grade use? If it is, no concrete.
Cover top of pole with fiber glass as stated before.
Make sure all items are replaced at correct heights.
I believe that all you needed to do was retamp around electrians hole.
Why did you not use the backhoe to dig? I set Temp poles all the time with a 9" bucket, pole slids in easy, tamp WELL, no problems.
Remember that every thing you add to pole COULD cause you a failure on inspection.