Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #91  
All,

This is a safety question on whether my daughters car [2018 Jeep Wrangler] is safe to drive back to school.at noon today or not? The drive is 160 miles.

The check-engine light came on Saturday morning [2/10/24]. I was able to get the jeep into a shop to run the error codes. These are the error codes:
-P0507: Idle speed performance higher than expected
-P2173: High airflow/vacuum leak detected

She just got the jeep out of the dealer service department on Friday, 2/9/24 which they stated they had to fix the electronic throttle control.

Questions:

She has to go back to school today and the drive is 160 miles. Is it safe to drive that far? If not, what could be the issues?
Did the "repair" the dealer made have anything to possibly cause this error on their behalf in not properly fixing the jeep?

My wife and I are contemplating either driving her or driving behind her so if anything happens, we could be there. The outfit that ran the error codes yesterday stated that the 2 error codes would not inhibit her driving, but I just want to be really sure, for all the obvious reasons..she's 19 yrs old..

I would really appreciate your timely & candid feedback on this matter.

Thank you very much !!!
I don't claim to be an expert at anything, but I have three daughters and two of the five vehicles we have on the road have had multiple lights, including check engine lights ON for quite some time. I say check the oil and coolant, if it's good, let'er rip. Just tell your daughter to keep an eye on the gages and if anything gets out of range, particularly the temperature, shut her down and call the old man. There was a time when we didn't have all those fancy lights and computer modules complicating things. Obviously there are pros and cons to modern technology. At the end of the day, the two thing that are most likely to cause irreparable damage are lack of coolant and/or motor oil, all the rest might leave you broke down on the side of the road, but not as likely to make you wish you'd done something different.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #92  
I THOUGHT THIS WAS A TRACTOR SITE!!!!
It is. He had to take time out from tractoring to rescue his daughter.

Actually, he asked here because he knew he would get reasonable answers along with the chaff.

I'm the chaff. 😀

In case anyone missed it, the OP traded the Jeep for something dependable.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #93  
Unless she bought the vehicle last weekend, then there was a reason why it was taken to the dealership in the first place.

Get your ducks in a row. Then once the issue is resolved, post a review of both shops on every review website you can find. And start hunting for a new service place near where your daughter is.

Unfortunately there has been a long held belief that women get shafted with everything to do with cars and car maintenance. And a young 18 to 25 year old likely would be considered the perfect mark.

Get at least a cheap OBDII reader at each location you have a vehicle.

I have one of these in each of our family's vehicles - put it in the glove box or door pocket, wherever you keep a flashlight. Bought the first one in 2016, and then one of the kids needed one 500 miles away and I realized having one at home wasn't the greatest idea and got the rest of them.

No point in it being at home; if something lights up I want to be able to pull over, plug it in and get a reading right then and there.

I haven't used them all (other than to verify they work), but they're all ready to be used.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #94  
Thanks to all.

The jeep made it safely back to school w no issues. The shop in Katy Tx did a great, fair & honest job.

We are not using the dealership at school anymore. We had an extended dealer warranty that ended last fall, so she continued to use the dealer. Has been completely maintained by dealer so any failures sure are not from lack of maintenance, or crazy off rd excursions. Mainly interstate driving to & from hm
and nborhood shopping at school.

This dealership has a brand new service Mgr so maybe he’s there to clean house. They have absolutely no record of any transactions of her being there, no service done snd no payment record. Something is real fishy here and I’m going to get to the bottom of it!

Glad to hear that everything ended well for you and without problems. I still can't understand why the dealership was so careless, it's a complete mess! How is it that after all these repairs, inspections and maintenance, no one can give an accurate answer? What kind of service is this where new problems appear after the ‘repair’? And even now it seems that all actions are recorded on computers, even those that are not really necessary. I just don't understand how they could be so careless about your safety. Some kind of very muddy scheme is emerging. You should consider contacting a consumer protection agency or even an attorney. Now it turns out they are just stamping out papers and sending us on the road with a faulty car? Action must be taken and accountability must be demanded! Some things just don't add up, and I think your frustration is absolutely justified.

I wouldn't really like to send my children to school far from home. Moreover https://ca.edubirdie.com/assignment-writing-services is accessible from anywhere. You can always get assignment help online and not have to travel anywhere.

Last edited:
   / Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #95  
Not a big deal, however, if the engine light blinks off and on then that is a problem. Have you checked all vaccum hoses? Have you conducted a smoke test? If the smoke gets sucked in especially around the intake, the intake gaskets need to be replaced.This is a common problem for these and other make vehicles. Hope it helps.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #96  
It really shouldn’t be any question! If you have any doubts at all about the vehicle I’d be driving my daughter back to school an making sure the jeep was fixed correctly afterwards! That way you can assure she makes it back to school safely with no issues! You never know this day an time anything can happen.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning
It really shouldn’t be any question! If you have any doubts at all about the vehicle I’d be driving my daughter back to school an making sure the jeep was fixed correctly afterwards! That way you can assure she makes it back to school safely with no issues! You never know this day an time anything can happen.
Thank for your feedback, I agree. For those that may have not read the final update, when the Jeep cratered on her way back, we picked her up and I took it to a credible place that was referred to me. They positively ID'ed the problem, but I followed behind her the first 50 miles to make sure it was a good, which it was...I still stayed in the 50 mi zone and was able to track her movement and see that she was making it back to school, which she did. She also came back the following weekend and we traded in the jeep for a 2024 Bronco, which she [and her dog] love the ride and the much better gas millage. thanks again

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #98  
My wife and I bouth jeep libertys. No heat in either. Wifes 2011 will cost $1000 to take the dash apart. The parts needed is around a $100. Dash board lights stay on. Tires wear on just one side. Dodge makes jeeps now, they are junk.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #99  
sure are a lot of new ones on the road now despite reputation.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #100  
My wife and I bouth jeep libertys. No heat in either. Wifes 2011 will cost $1000 to take the dash apart. The parts needed is around a $100. Dash board lights stay on. Tires wear on just one side. Dodge makes jeeps now, they are junk.

On the other hand...have a friend who bought a Jeep Liberty, I think about 2007, with the diesel they put in it at the time. Well over 100,000 miles on it now, pretty much trouble-free. She really loves it.