Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #81  
I THOUGHT THIS WAS A TRACTOR SITE!!!!

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #82  
All,

This is a safety question on whether my daughters car [2018 Jeep Wrangler] is safe to drive back to school.at noon today or not? The drive is 160 miles.

The check-engine light came on Saturday morning [2/10/24]. I was able to get the jeep into a shop to run the error codes. These are the error codes:
-P0507: Idle speed performance higher than expected
-P2173: High airflow/vacuum leak detected

She just got the jeep out of the dealer service department on Friday, 2/9/24 which they stated they had to fix the electronic throttle control.

Questions:

She has to go back to school today and the drive is 160 miles. Is it safe to drive that far? If not, what could be the issues?
Did the "repair" the dealer made have anything to possibly cause this error on their behalf in not properly fixing the jeep?

My wife and I are contemplating either driving her or driving behind her so if anything happens, we could be there. The outfit that ran the error codes yesterday stated that the 2 error codes would not inhibit her driving, but I just want to be really sure, for all the obvious reasons..she's 19 yrs old..

I would really appreciate your timely & candid feedback on this matter.

Thank you very much !!!
I would either drive her, or let her take mine, and then deal with the vehicle.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #83  
If this were my daughter I'd get rid of the Jeep and put her in a Toyota 4Runner. Still a rugged off-road vehicle but also one of the most dependable vehicles on the road.

I'm not a Jeep hater; I've owned one for many years and still own a 2006 Rubicon. But the newer Jeeps are very problematic.
P1008789erexpport5-30-22.jpg

Let us know how the Bronco Sport works out as far as reliability.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #84  
All,

This is a safety question on whether my daughters car [2018 Jeep Wrangler] is safe to drive back to school.at noon today or not? The drive is 160 miles.

The check-engine light came on Saturday morning [2/10/24]. I was able to get the jeep into a shop to run the error codes. These are the error codes:
-P0507: Idle speed performance higher than expected
-P2173: High airflow/vacuum leak detected

She just got the jeep out of the dealer service department on Friday, 2/9/24 which they stated they had to fix the electronic throttle control.

Questions:

She has to go back to school today and the drive is 160 miles. Is it safe to drive that far? If not, what could be the issues?
Did the "repair" the dealer made have anything to possibly cause this error on their behalf in not properly fixing the jeep?

My wife and I are contemplating either driving her or driving behind her so if anything happens, we could be there. The outfit that ran the error codes yesterday stated that the 2 error codes would not inhibit her driving, but I just want to be really sure, for all the obvious reasons..she's 19 yrs old..

I would really appreciate your timely & candid feedback on this matter.

Thank you very much !!!
the -P0507: Idle speed performance higher than expected
-P2173: High airflow/vacuum leak detected are most likely related, you will get a higher idle with a vacuum leak. I would have a shop do a smoke test to find out where the vacuum leak is and go from there. I would not trust it,the throttle could go wide open if there's a defect in the throttle control system or it could not get off idle. I would take it to another dealer or a reputable repair shop,(not a chain store)

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #85  
I THOUGHT THIS WAS A TRACTOR SITE!!!!
All caps probably weren't necessary. If you look around, you'll find that this site is much more than simply a "a tractor site".

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #86  
Well since I had a 19 year old daughter once and the world has gotten a lot scarier since then, I would driver her to school, get the car fixed and deliver it to her later.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #87  
Hey, maybe he could get her a Bronco! Go back a few posts and that’s what the OP did.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #88  
   / Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #89  
UPDATE #2: Hopefully the last one

The car repair shop in Katy Tx, the codes came back as a vacuum leak. They stated that there was a tear/leak in the hose near the PCV. You guys called it !!!! They ran a complete diagnosis on it w their computer and this seems to be the sole area of failure.

They said they had to order OEM/Dealer parts and was about a 2-3 hr wait. Stated with diagnostics, parts and labor, about $252 drive out. To get my daughter back to school safely, that's a pretty fair price to me.

I am still wrestling with the Jeep Dealership in her college town, and they are stating they have no record of her paid invoice or anything ?? My daughter paid cash to get our car last friday 2/9/24 at noon, so I am going to look into "who did what" and get to the bottom of it. She did not receive a typical service type invoice that shows parts, labor, etc, but rather a receipt print out as if you bought take out food.

Lessons learned:

-buy a good code diagnostic reader [any recommendations?]
-look at how to infuse smoke into closed systems to discern leaks in hoses/other
-have my daughter ask for more specifics on invoices and to always put your car invoices into an envelop that is stored in glove compartment. [does anyone store gloves in this area, or is this from Henry Ford's days] ;-}

I will post back after she makes the trip back to school and provide the results. Thanks again to everyone and safe travels to you and your family. best, tstex

Not surprising a repair shop would take advantage of a young woman. Wouldn't be surprised if her car wasn't sabotage to create more work.

The only time I recall taking a car to a dealership is warranty work.

I would ditch that jeep and get your daughter a Toyota.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning
Thanks to all - First, yes this "was" purely a tractor site some time ago, but the expertise and experience on these boards goes way further than just tractors.

Next, "so far" [and knock on wood], the Bronco Sport she really likes. It drives much, much smoother and doesn't bounce around like the jeep did. The bronco has 4 doors and has a back storage area that is considerably more room than the Jeep. One of the greatest improvements is gas millage. She was getting 14-15mpg/hwy...this Bronco gets 26+ hwy, so this is getting 10mpg+ better. She also has a dog and the dog "likes the much smoother ride too". She never did any off-rd-4-wheel type driving. We had an extended waranty on it and service plan, yet things continued to break.

Thanks again to all,
tstex

Last edited: