Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #21  
Certainly no easy way to make that one float.

Maybe a couple of RV wheels to act as gauge wheels and support the weight of the floating loader arms.

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #22  
No, think black plastic sewer pipe rather than white PVC water pipe, but pretty similar. I also tried it on my back blade before I build my front blade. I ended up getting shoes for the back blade, which helped a bit but still plows a bit of gravel on some driveways.

I have shoes for the front, but haven't modified the 3/4" holes to take standard 1" shank shoes yet. May or may not get to it as it works well without for now.

Also realized my 7' blade got loaded into my truck by 2 guys, so is probably 200 lbs, 300 tops. 900 lbs is freaking heavy even without the loader arms weight. No wonder you plow ice & gravel.

Plastic pipe on gravel :thumbsdown: Think steel .

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #23  
Very nice plow but there is no way to "float" that set-up.Forget the plastic pipe and get a piece of schedule 40 maybe 1-1/2 or 2".Either weld a couple of tabs and bolt to the plow or use the skid pad holes.Using the skid pad holes at least you would have some up/down adjustment.

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #24  
I tried ABS (black plastic) and it lasted 5 minutes, if that. Most plows pivot at the attachment point & have a chain to lift. That prevents the weight from the loader resting on the blade.

Mine isn't that compact or fancy, but works.
View attachment 415003

What is the provision on this set up for lateral float where the plow can rise and fall on either end without lifting or pushing down the other end?

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #25  
Unfrozen gravel is going to be difficult to plow.
Some type of pipe across the cutting edge might help there.

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #26  
What is the provision on this set up for lateral float where the plow can rise and fall on either end without lifting or pushing down the other end?

There is a pivot in the center. The pivot is attached to the frame that rotates when you angle it. It gets about 15 degrees of pivot in each direction so it will follow contours well. It's the stock small light truck (probably actually for a jeep) setup more or less. I made a bracket so I could drop the bracket on the quick hitch (the shiny piece I have since painted). Then removed the winch & just ran the chain to the top link of my quick hitch.

If I find another truck plow with hydraulic angle for cheap, I'll probably build a new one & try to sell this one for $500-700 (Cost me under $250 to make including the SSQA QH adapter scrounging garage sales). If I do end up building another one, I'll re-engineer it so the plow is much closer to the tractor. This one doesn't push me to the side bad at all, but I really can't make a tight turn with much load on the blade.

Here you can see it flopped to one side.
IMG_20150222_102438.jpg

Here you can kind of see how it pivots on the nub used to adjust angle & the pivot point in front (loose bolt hole with a rubber washer underneath) at maximum tilt the plow frame will hit the plow subframe. The right side frames are touching in the picture, so it's articulated as far as it will go to the right, but will articulate much further to the left given the angle I have on the blade at the moment.
IMG_20150117_153833.jpg

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #27  
My driveway is also gravel , I plow with a truck , no matter what unless the ground is frozen , you will dig in . I raise the blade up an inch and go slow .

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #28  
She's not nearly as pretty as y'all's rigs, but she's a snow plowing fool. I cut a slot in a piece of 1-1/4" pipe, and welded tabs on to bolt to the moldboard. Works like a charm..!!

Something as heavy as your's, I wouldn't be afraid to go with a 3"-4" dia. pipe. It doesn't have to be new, and could probably be bought at scrap price, if you look in the right place.

Attachments

• Farmall A Snow Blade 002.jpg
    Farmall A Snow Blade 002.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 188
   / Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #29  
That process isn't easy given that there is literally no 5' section of my 3/4 mile long driveway that is flat. I am constantly rasing/lowering the blade depending on whether I am going uphill or downhill.

A 3/4 mile driveway is justification for a snow blower.

/ Really Struggling With A Front-End Snow Blade #30  
She's not nearly as pretty as y'all's rigs, but she's a snow plowing fool. I cut a slot in a piece of 1-1/4" pipe, and welded tabs on to bolt to the moldboard. Works like a charm..!!

It may be tired iron, but i'd rather have a blade tighter up to my tractor than way out in front of of the loader arms which are way out in front of the tractor like mine.