Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #41  
Eddie.

This is off subject....but how come you got the Covid several times? I just got over my first/only bout of Covid. Never got the booster shot and hoped that my natural immunitywould protect me for a while???

Cheers,
Mike

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build
From what I understand from my wife, who has a PhD in Nursing, is that it mutates very quickly, and each mutation is weaker then the previous version. Kind of like the flu, but not as bad. Every year the flu burns out after making the rounds, then wakes up the next year and a new version starts the process all over again. The flu shot is based on where it starts up again, and what they know about it at that time. This is a big reason the flu shot has such a low success rate. Covid is unlike anything else, it mutates almost daily. Versions and the effects change as quickly as it mutates.

My current symptoms are fatigue, shortness of breath if I do anything, brain fog, and a bit of stomach issues. Nothing severe, it's just hard to do anything. This is almost exactly what I had last year, but it was more pronounced and I slept through most of the day. This time, I'm awake, and killing time with super long posts on here just to kill the time, but otherwise, ok. My wife has similar symptoms, but not as bad. She also has Lupus and she takes Hydrox for it. She had colon cancer 5 years ago, she's had Covid three times before just like I have, and her White Blood Cell count is almost dangerously low, but slowly getting better every year. She should be a lot sicker then I am, but we believe that the Hydrox makes a big difference for her. What's funny, is that since Covid came out, neither of us have gotten a cold or the flu. Since all the info came out about the vaccine, she no longer gets the flu shot. I've never gotten the flu shot, and I've only had the flu once. The second my wife thought that I had the flu, she talked me into going to my doctor and getting a prescription for Tamiflu. That took care of it quickly!!!

All I can do is wait it out. If I try to get back to work, or do too much around the house, I just extend how long it will last. Since it's so mild now, there isn't even medicine to take to treat it. Just lots of rest, lots of fluids and maybe some vitamins will help.

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #43  
Thanks Eddie.

Sounds like the Covid variables are more complex than the amount of ballast weight to shoot for.:unsure:

Cheers,
Mike

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #44  
Is 1100 lbs when using my pallet forks to much? That figures to about 50%. I can remove a few suitcase weights if needed.
What tractor is that, the 2720 or 3039.

If it works though, I wouldnt change anything. The rear axle is alot stronger than the front

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #45  
I like the idea of a hitch receiver in your ballast block. I would probably leave the ballast block on most of the time, and it would be convenient to have the receiver there when needed. Plus sticking out enough that one can reach the hitch pin.

Make sure the ballast is low enough to hold the hitch pins in a place you can hook up and unhook easily. But not too high that clearance is an issue.

I have 1,000 pounds in my head, but it will really depend on how big the box is that I make to pour the concrete into. I'll buy a full pallet of 56 sacks that weigh 60 pounds each and use as many as I can. The rest will go towards fencing. I buy a lot of pallets of concrete!!!
Time for a cement mixer plus gravel + Portland Cement?

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #46  
What tractor is that, the 2720 or 3039.

If it works though, I wouldnt change anything. The rear axle is alot stronger than the front
I found if I am loading brush into the dump trailer, 600 lbs is better than 1100 lbs. I need to compact the brush by pushing down with the forks.

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #47  
I found if I am loading brush into the dump trailer, 600 lbs is better than 1100 lbs. I need to compact the brush by pushing down with the forks.
I ocassional have to smash my dumpster down....and if I have the bushhog on the back of my MX I cant get much down force. But simply lowering the 3ph to smash, then picking it up and proceeding.

Not sure if your ballast can reach the ground. if you designed it to be able to set down without sitting on a pallet or blocks. But if you can....simply lower the 3PH, and you can maximize smashing force....then pick it up and carry on

I watched a couple more YouTube videos on rear ballast box builds last night. It's interesting the things I'm noticing now. Most don't put a hook on the top to pick it up if they have to move it. One guy could barely get his quick hitch under the lower pins while the ballast box was still on the forms. I guess he will have to place it on something when he's not using it so he can disconnect it. I'm also taken back by how many guys post videos on how to build something without any experience mixing concrete. I get the feeling this is their very first time doing it, and they are very unsure on what to do. "Good Enough" is also used a lot do describe what they do.

/ Rear Ballast Weight DIY Build #49  
I watched a couple more YouTube videos on rear ballast box builds last night. It's interesting the things I'm noticing now. Most don't put a hook on the top to pick it up if they have to move it. One guy could barely get his quick hitch under the lower pins while the ballast box was still on the forms. I guess he will have to place it on something when he's not using it so he can disconnect it. I'm also taken back by how many guys post videos on how to build something without any experience mixing concrete. I get the feeling this is their very first time doing it, and they are very unsure on what to do. "Good Enough" is also used a lot do describe what they do.
I did the loop for when I did need to move it without having to use the 3pt or in case it somehow fell over as well as a tie down anchor for things. I put my tractor on the concrete drive and lowered the arms all the way down then raised them up 4-6 inches and made that my pin height when I made the form (I actually used a 3pt drawbar and welded everything else to that as I felt it was the strongest option for the money) so I knew I should always be able to connect or disconnect anywhere.
I have mixed my fair amount of concrete over the years, but I am not an expert. :)

The loop on top is my favorite "extra" that I've seen. Even if I never use it, I like the idea that I can pick it up with my loader with a chain and move it anywhere I want without having to disconnect what's already on the back of my tractor.