Rear pull snowblower

/ Rear pull snowblower #11  
Rbargeron,

If you get that plugged with wet snow it looks like it would be hard to clean. Have you ever plugged it?

In North Illinois are snows seem te be getting wetter. My rear mount (drive backwards) blower is easy to unplug. Mines a pretty Ford Empire blue too, I bought with my 1910 in the early 80's. Still works great.

/ Rear pull snowblower #12  
Now that snow season is coming around again, performance of different snowblower designs is coming around too.

My V-plow pull-ahead rig (pictured a few posts above) is starting its new life on a neighbor's Kioti. It has been replaced by a very rugged 84" backup style rear-mount. It works very well in almost all situations. But one detail it's not good at is cleanup in front of garage doors. It always leaves a little pile of snow.

Pronovost makes a rear blade that looks like a bread-box door - it drops down about a foot behind their pull-forward blower and can gather up the leftovers to be dragged away. Neat idea. Actually their PXP model will go either way - and uses the back blade to lift the blower for forward motion. (Video link in above post)

Anybody know of a pull-forward blade on a backup style blower? Seems like it would be perfect for cleanup. Maybe I'll have to make one.

/ Rear pull snowblower #13  
Well the first prototype is assembled and seems like it will work - I posted over in Attacments including some pictures Now we need some snow :cool:

/ Rear pull snowblower #14  
MrJimi said:
I don't quite understand this?
Your going to pull a snow blower and flatten and compact the snow first with the tires?
Why?
*All snow blower machines blow the snow before it gets compacted by the tires.
I must be missing something here.
A conventional rear mount blower would be the same thing.
You would have to go with a front mount to prevent tire tracks in the snow
*Only front mounts and walk behinds do that.

/ Rear pull snowblower #15  
Woodbeef said:
Good idea that has fallen out of favor lately. Probably due to higher snowfall,and more fel equipped tractors. Still a few of the old v-type fan ones around. New single or dual augers are available,but $$$$.

As for the compacting part.........does not really make much difference. The machine will pick it up anyways down to a set height.
Would be the same compacting deal using a back blade also.

/ Rear pull snowblower #16  
To be clear, "CONVENTIONAL REAR MOUNT" blowers only work going backward, so there is no compaction issue.
The "inverted" rear-mounted blowers (like Erskine's new model and the Pronovost) work going forward - so there is some compaction. But as Woodbeef says, it doesn't make much difference - the blower either gets under it, or it disappears when the sun comes back out.

/ Rear pull snowblower #17  
rbargeron said:
To be clear, "CONVENTIONAL REAR MOUNT" blowers only work going backward, so there is no compaction issue.
The "inverted" rear-mounted blowers (like Erskine's new model and the Pronovost) work going forward - so there is some compaction. But as Woodbeef says, it doesn't make much difference - the blower either gets under it, or it disappears when the sun comes back out.
>>> >>>I didn't know that.
Ya Larn somethin new every day.
No wonder so many folks don't like them or the stiff necks and achy backs.
A stupid statement is almost as good of a learning tool as a dumb question>>>> >>>>

/ Rear pull snowblower #18  
I have a V-plow type 7' snowblower I use on my Oliver Super55. It's drive backwards V-type, but it works really well. It's about all I'd want to put on that tractor though, about 2000 lbs. There's beater bars attached on the end of the input shaft in the V that bust up the sticky piles. Someday I'd like to change it to pull forward or mount on the front of the tractor, but for now it works ok. I think I gave $200 for it from the Minneapolis area. Guy even delivered it 400 miles for free. Seems the V-type has fallen out of favor.

/ Rear pull snowblower #19  
In West Michigan most snowfalls are in the 1" to 4" range. Occasionally we get 6" to 8" and once or twice a year we might get a 10"+ snowfall. Some drifting is normal depending on the lay of the land. For the majority of our snow those pull type snowblowers would be ideal. For the heavy snowfalls the trick is to move it before it gets to 10". Most of the commercial snowplowers are contracted to plow anytime the snow is deeper than 1" so there is usually very little build up unless there is a big storm. I think it all depends on the snow conditions in your area as to what works best.

/ Rear pull snowblower #20  
I don't think it will work where I live. We get wet snow and storms of 12" too often although some years not so bad. I'm sure this will be a snowless winter I got tired of my walk behind blower on my 600 plus foot driveway and got a front blower!