Rear pull snowblower

/ Rear pull snowblower #31  
Hi all

Might have to rethink the rear pull style as just 10 miles north of here had 5-6' drifts with just 5" snow (50+ mph winds) and 50 miles nw 17' drifts with 17" snow and wind. Power lines were in the drifts and in town just top of street signs visable. Course with that much snow even if I got my block cleaned off where would I go? Something to think about.

/ Rear pull snowblower #32  
Stargazer said:
... lp333 have heard various warnings on chains on front 4wd tracs but don't have chains so don't know for sure something about on hard surface and turning in 4wd is bad for the front end...

I have not heard about damage resulting form chains installed on the front. However, when I do a lot of turning in relatively tight spots, I like to disengage the 4WD in order to benefit from a tighter turning radius.

/ Rear pull snowblower #33  
Stef said:
... I'm pretty sure you're setup is very pleasant to operate when the "winning conditions" are present ;) . BTW, with a setup like yours what's the ideal snowfall? My guess is around 6 to 8 inches but as I said I have no experience with that kind of blower.

The going is easy with only 8" of snow, perhaps because I have chains on all 4 wheels. The BX23 starts slowing down and the wheels spin when the front tires disapear under the snow - in other words, when the snow reaches 16 inches or more. In thick snow, I like to lower the FEL to prevent the front wheels from getting buried.

/ Rear pull snowblower #34  
Stargazer said:
... Might have to rethink the rear pull style as just 10 miles north of here had 5-6' drifts with just 5" snow (50+ mph winds) and 50 miles nw 17' drifts with 17" snow and wind...

A rear pull blower working in tandem with a FEL can be pretty effective in adverse conditions. Howevert, under the above rare and exceptional conditions, I'm not convinced that a conventional snowblower mounted on a compact tractor would have such an easy task.

/ Rear pull snowblower #35  
Yeah I know my bx-23 ain't no D-9. Figured the worst I'll have in town (once in 15 yrs here ) is about 3' for 75' and 2' ish for 300' till hit main street. Much more and nobody is going to be moving. I-80 (interstate) was closed for about 300 miles from DSM IA to Kearney NB for most of 3 days. Didn't know some of the counties have those big rotary plows moved some snow on TV!
They are calling it storm of decade maybe century farther west of me. Glad we had power during last weekend.

Thanx for all the advice.

Pat R