Red Fox

/ Red Fox #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
Caught this guy roaming the field beside the house. Shot from my garage. I'm pretty sure it's a Red Fox though we do have plenty of Coyote in the area. Anyone know how to differentiate between them?

Attachments

• Fox-441.jpg
    Fox-441.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 694
  • Fox-449.jpg
    Fox-449.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 571
  • Fox-475.jpg
    Fox-475.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 581
   / Red Fox #2  
Hi:
Looks to be a coyote. The color phases for coyotes will run from a lite brown to almost all black with all kinds of colors in between. The red fox will run from red to almost all grey with some red; the main identifying feature of the red fox is the white tip on the tail. If it has the white tip on the tail it is identified as a red fox. Hope this helps.

/ Red Fox #3  
Nice pics, Rob!!!
What kind of camera are ya using?

BTW, guess what my desktop is now...?

/ Red Fox #4  
Those are some absolutely fantastic shots of, uh, well, uh, coyote.

Coyote or fox is no matter, the pictures are wonderful.

/ Red Fox #5  
Fantastic pics, definitely a Coyote. I see several fox around my house, both red and grey, and we hear the coyotes on a frequent basis, but we haven't been able to get a look at the coyotes around our house, they're just too wary. With all the fox and coyotes around our house the rabbit population is rather sparse, and they take their toll on the turkey. In the spring we would see a hen with seven to eight poults, but as summer comes on that number dwindles down to 3 or 4.

/ Red Fox
OK guys, I went back through all my pics and no white on the tail so I guess it's wiley coyote, eh? I thought it might have been a bit large for a fox but seemed red enough. A neighbor came upon a coyote eating a turkey recently. I'd love to get some decent pics of the local turkeys but they are more wary than any of the other wildlife I see. Thanks for the help!

Roy, camera is Canon 30D. Shot this with 70-200 plus 2x converter. f5.6, 1/60s at ISO 400, handheld! Actually, braced on my truck hood or the garage door jamb. And this is now my desktop also!

/ Red Fox #7  
Any idea what the dark thing is in the third picture to the left and down a little of the fox/coyote?

/ Red Fox #8  
motepoc said:
Any idea what the dark thing is in the third picture to the left and down a little of the fox/coyote?
Good catch! I just looked again. Could he have been interupted during a meal?

/ Red Fox #9  
Roy your fickle, just little bit ago it was tractor tires!:D

/ Red Fox
motepoc said:

I saw the dark thing too, he didn't pay any attention to it. He spent about five minutes roaming the field, pounced once on something small and moved on. With all the rain we've had lately, the dark thing is probably a large fungus.