Red Fox

/ Red Fox #11  
It must be a coyote, Red Fox was the guy on Sanford and Son.

/ Red Fox #12  
Nope, you have to double the dx. lol

/ Red Fox #13  
Definitely a coyote, a fox will be much smaller and will very seldom be seen in daylight.

/ Red Fox #14  
RobS said:
Caught this guy roaming the field beside the house. Shot from my garage. I'm pretty sure it's a Red Fox though we do have plenty of Coyote in the area. Anyone know how to differentiate between them?

Yep! Definitely a coyote. If they weren't so ruthless, they would be one of my favorite animals. Of course, being so ruthless is the primary trait leading to their survival. You can bet the coyote knows exactly where you are and just how close he can safely come. When I used to mow a field at my dad's place, a coyote would come out of the woods and chase field mice behind my tractor about 150'. If I stopped and got off the tractor, he would run back into the edge of the woods and stand there until I got back on the tractor. Smart...too darn smart.

/ Red Fox
I walk in the early morning often and saw three of them about a year ago. Heard a pack of them earlier this summer, sounded like they were right outside the bedroom window. It's definitely eerie with them out there.

/ Red Fox #16  
Mornin Rob,
Where is your 22-250 when you really need it ? ;)

The farmer up the road from me dispatches them with just that when they get close to his chicken coop !

/ Red Fox #17  
RobS said:
I saw the dark thing too, he didn't pay any attention to it. He spent about five minutes roaming the field, pounced once on something small and moved on. With all the rain we've had lately, the dark thing is probably a large fungus.

My favorite thing about coyotes, those little critters they get. I enjoy watching them hunt in my field. Anything that eats gophers is a friend of mine. And the coyotes and foxes won't dig the craters that my lab likes to make.

/ Red Fox #18  
RobS said:
Heard a pack of them earlier this summer, sounded like they were right outside the bedroom window. It's definitely eerie with them out there.

I had four or five of them shadow me coming out of the woods last year during bow season. I kept an arrow in my hand. Figured I could use it better that way than with the bow. They followed me out of the woods and across a 40 acre (1/4 mile) meadow and almost all the way back to the truck. That was beyond eerie. I was alone and that made it more than scary. They stayed just at the edge of flashlight range, and were all around me. I kept yelling and waving my arms. It felt like they were sizing me up.

/ Red Fox #19  
Originally posted by L3650
had four or five of them shadow me coming out of the woods last year
That had to be spooky. People claim to have seen coyotes around here, but I haven't seen one yet.

RobS, thanks for some excellent photos.

/ Red Fox #20  
Rob,
That is definitely a coyote. I have tons of them around my property. There are like 5 or 6 different packs that howl and yip all night long from different parts of the small valley we camp in.
Here are a couple pictures of re foxes.
There is a striking difference in color and size.