Removing JD 540 loader Joystick mechanism to replace broken valve controllers

/ Removing JD 540 loader Joystick mechanism to replace broken valve controllers #1  

peterlindsay

Tractor
john deere 5310
I have searched for informatiion on this in these threads but cannot find an answer so any help is appreciated. I have broken the top off one the valve controller? that the joystick fits into (joystick has three balls that go off the bottom of it and two go into seperate valve controllers? I think they are called - to controll the up down , dump, raise of the loader) JD has now started making them out of metal and not plastic so the replacement parts also need a kit to make it fit properly. So I was going to take just the joystick mech into the dealer and let them retro fit both of the parts because the one that is not broken will of course break if I do not. But I cannot get it off. There is a hex nut at the bottom of the unit that goes from the cables? to the control valve which I was told to remove - but all it seems to do is spin and loosen abit but does not release the unit, what am I doing wrong? Thanks

/ Removing JD 540 loader Joystick mechanism to replace broken valve controllers
If I could find an exploding diagram I might be able to figure it out but cannot find that either.

/ Removing JD 540 loader Joystick mechanism to replace broken valve controllers #3  
Do either of these parts photos help you?

Attachments

• RWP1581________UN01JAN94.gif
    RWP1581________UN01JAN94.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 6,341
  • WP5711_________UN03AUG04.gif
    WP5711_________UN03AUG04.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 4,945
   / Removing JD 540 loader Joystick mechanism to replace broken valve controllers #4  
I suggest you go to JDparts.com, then go to parts catalog (link is on the left), which will give a picture, as I do not know which of the possible joy sticks you have or maybe you have a different one.

I looked in my tech manual, but do not see the nut you reference. If you would consider posting a picture, I will look again in the manual.

joystick1.jpgjoystick2.jpg

Close TX Jim, but not quite. Cannot seem to find what I have even at JD parts.

this is one of the replacement parts to put in. In doing a parts search I cannot get any of the numbers on the back of the package to bring up and matching parts or diagramsjoystickpart.jpg

Do these pics help JD5210?

/ Removing JD 540 loader Joystick mechanism to replace broken valve controllers #9  
Pictures did not help, but the part number did re188271. I have attached a picture from JDparts.

Does it make any sense to disconnect the control cables were they connect to SCV (selective control value) and pull out the whole thing out to include cables from the SCV? Most likely will need to remove the fender, if the SCVs are in the back or are they on the side of loader and run off the power beyond from the back. Look at cables attachment.

Once you it out, can you pull the joystick and cables up out of housing? or can you not it get out of the what I think you would call the center ball. If NO take this to the dealer.

Let me know if this is not a workable solution. Also go JDparts and look up part # R230282 (use the part index) can not tell for sure, but it maybe your broken part ($18.00)

Attachments

• joys1.pdf
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,545
  • cables.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,186
Last edited:
Yes that is it, JD5210, thanks for finding. I shall go out and see what I can get apart using that information.