Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I rotate my own tires and I have noticed that lately it is getting harder and harder to get the aluminum wheels off the hubs (front and rear) of my truck. I live in the salty Midwest.

Any tricks for getting them off?

What can I do to make them easier to remove in the future, short of opening up the hole diameter, which I know is critical for vibration control.

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #2  
I rotate my own tires and I have noticed that lately it is getting harder and harder to get the aluminum wheels off the hubs (front and rear) of my truck. I live in the salty Midwest.

Any tricks for getting them off?

What can I do to make them easier to remove in the future, short of opening up the hole diameter, which I know is critical for vibration control.

I put never sieze on the hubs

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #4  
yep.. never seize, dielectric grease.. or that compound you use that prevents electrolysis when you have to join disimilar metals.. like copper and aluminum wireing.

soundguy

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck
Great suggestions so far. Any good tips for getting the buggers loose? I've been taking off the lug nuts with the wheel raised and whacking the tire with a 2x4, but that doesn't always do it. I had a flat fixed recently and the "mechanic" pounded on the backside of the cast rim with a ball peen hammer. :mad:

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #6  
PO (penetrating oil) and a hammer from the back is the only way I do it almost every day!

I have been known to take a short drive with the lug nuts loosened a bit and zigzagged all over to get severely corroded wheels off. Take a wire brush on a drill and clean the hole out and anti-seize afterwards.

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #7  
Unfortunately, once they are stuck it may take brute force to get them off. Try this trick, loosen the lug nuts a few turns and drive they truck a few feet. The weight should break it loose. Or loosen the lug nuts and physically push the truck side to side to break the wheels loose. Once removed use the never sieze or die-electric grease before putting back on.

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #8  
yep.. loose nuts, pb oil, then clean good and coat with something afterwards..

soundguy

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #9  
Yes to all the tips about how to get them to not stick in the first place - plus, marine grease is cheaper and (road & sea) salt resistant.

I sometimes take the 3ft or so handle from my floor jack and swing it baseball bat style at a tire - need to miss the bodywork of half decent vehicles, but on kids' junkers-so what ?
(-:

Yeah, I've done the 1/2 turn off each lug nut and listen for the crack on the last two or one, rock it side to side before jacking up if I don't hear it let go.
I've also driven around in HARD left and HARD right circles - THOSE times I've heard it go, but never done any damage.

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #10  
Warning! If you use neversieze on the Alminum rims,
be positive is is aluminum based never sieze. It will be silver in color.
Copper based NS and the steel and Al and road salt will make a battery and corrode the Al wheel like something you have never seen before.
Don't even bother to ask me how I know. The Al wheel had to be cut and chisled etc to get it off of the hub.
Not only was it expensive but time consuming as well.
Lately I have used silicone grease on both surfaces after cleaning the wheel surfaces with scotch pads and a wire brush on the hub. I use silicone grease on the lugs and nuts and rim. The torque must be reduced accordingly to account for the reduced friction on the threads and nut faces to achieve the proper lug-bolt stretch.