Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #21  
I had the same problem, I beat the **** out of them with a Sudge Hammer they finally came loose. Hit the tires not the rim.

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #22  
I took a scissor jack and placed it between the frame and the tire (you can use a 2x4 to spread out the load) and then just jack away. Better than whacking it with a hammer.

Jeff

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #24  
yep.. the NS should take care of you now.

soundguy

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #25  
My Ram's are usually stuck even after a couple of weeks of being on there.
My local mechanic said to loosen lugnuts a turn or 2 and pull forward and back wards a couple of times and that will pop them off it works great
I did use the power steering and a bock of wood on the fronts but I was at a loss on how to get the rears off hammering didn't even budge them even with a 20 lb dead blow hammer on rim til I called him for help.

tom

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #26  
this is a common problem on semi trailers with steel hubs and alum rims, at work we have a fleet of walking floor trash trailers with this issue, sometimes alot of hammering was required to remove them after just a few months. never seize didnt work real good, helped but not alot, so after contacting alcoa they recomended a product called frey lube, and it worked very well, still once in a while a stuck one, but not very often

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #27  
Well OK then, time to put this to rest, an expert chimes in, good job... Here is Frey Lubes website.

Welcome to FreyLube.

this is a common problem on semi trailers with steel hubs and alum rims, at work we have a fleet of walking floor trash trailers with this issue, sometimes alot of hammering was required to remove them after just a few months. never seize didnt work real good, helped but not alot, so after contacting alcoa they recomended a product called frey lube, and it worked very well, still once in a while a stuck one, but not very often

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #29  
That's why the discussion on what to do from keep it from happening. Like never seize, you have to put it on before you assemble. The hammers, jack, driving with loosened lugs a short distance to free the locked up wheel free itself of the marriage covered the removal process.

I saw where Frey Lube was recommended to keep tires from sticking to rims but I saw nothing about it helping rims that were stuck on trucks.

/ Removing stuck aluminum wheels on truck #30  
Are any of you blokes using Alloys on the outside and steels on the inside ? Some trucks like the early F350's etc have tapered dowels on the rim at every second stud . When Alloys are fitted , they have problems because the holes in the Alloy rims are not countersunk to accept the dowells . I had a guy come to me because he'd been everywhere else and no one could work out why he was having such a hard time getting the nuts off . I saw the problem straight away and countersunk the inside holes on the Alloys to accept the dowels for him , he never had trouble again .

What was happening was that the Alloy rim holes where deforming where the dowels were absent as there was an air gap because the flange could not touch the inside wheel flange which caused pinching of the shank on the nuts so they would not undo without great effort .

Last edited: